Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
paperbag3
Dojo: Princeton Y
United_States
Ki Symbol Dogi

Hi Folks,

I'm pretty new to Aikido and I was wandering through aikiweb's equipment review section when I happened upon a positive review of Bu Jin.

I ordered an 8.5 drill cotton gi thinking that it would be like a judo gi. So I sent that back because it was pretty much the same lightweight thing I'd worn in Tae Kwon Do. I was impressed enough with what I saw, though, that I figured I'd order their 12 oz. duck version (which is supposed to be heavy).

Does anyone have any experience practicing Aikido in this heavier 12 oz. type of gi? I've seen people practice in very light gi's but I like the heavier materials. I'm sure I'd find what I want in a judo gi, but I was so impressed with the crafting of the 8.5 oz.' er that I really wanted to try the 12 oz.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
Re: Dogi

I have nothing but positive things about the 12oz. top to say. I can never get a judo top to fit right, sleeves end up too long, with the jacket always ending up to narrow across the chest. Now, the recent trend for Bujin to add the bujin calligraphy on the sleeve, I am not a fan of. But I am a fan of the top, they tend to be pricey but well worth it. Although sometimes I wait until Bujin has a monthly special on them before stocking up

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
paperbag3
United_States

Thanks Dan.

I guess my concern was that I never noticed anything but a judo gi being used in aikido (outside of someone just starting and showing up in sweats).

I saw the Bu Jin symbol too and had mixed feelings about it. If it's on the left arm, I guess I'll just put my school's patch over it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Dan Hover wrote:
I have nothing but positive things about the 12oz. top to say. I can never get a judo top to fit right, sleeves end up too long, with the jacket always ending up to narrow across the chest. Now, the recent trend for Bujin to add the bujin calligraphy on the sleeve, I am not a fan of. But I am a fan of the top, they tend to be pricey but well worth it. Although sometimes I wait until Bujin has a monthly special on them before stocking up
I have the same problems with judo gi's. I usually get them altered after I buy them. But now I have found that the slimmer cut atama jiujitsu gi's are a perfect fit.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
O-Ren

Dojo: Aikido of Palestine
United_States

I have several judo gi's that range from 65$ to 200$ that came from japan, but only ware my bujin dogi. 12 oz. naturally, plus a twill hakama. Thy haven't let me down yet. I would advise getting the top in tall, it adds 2 more inches to the bottom, for when it shrinks. I just love em, good luck.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada

I've had a Bujin 8.5 ounce for about ten years now. It usually alternates with a judo gi in the wash and train cycle. I think I've gone through six or so judo gi during that time, and the 8.5 was still going strong. It's at the end of its rope now, but damn, that's tough for a light gi. I'll be ordering a 12 sometime this fall when I'm feeling rich. The only downside to the 8.5 is that it is a bit clingy when it is humid, and the 12 is supposed to be better that way.

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

I have two of the 12oz and they are holding up fine - very comfortable as compared to a Judo dogi.

Greg
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Kevin Wilbanks

I have both the 12 duck and 8.5 twill tops from Bu Jin, but only the light pants. I definitely like the 8.5 better. It's more relaxing to wear, and it won't give anyone rug burns on their face from irimi nage. I don't see the clingy-ness as an issue due to the coolmax liner.

Before I bought Bu Jin with the liners, I preferred the heavier duck type made by JK (or J&K?) because the stiffness kept them from becoming like wet t-shirts. For anyone on a limited budget, I would recommend the cheaper duck type - you can buy more of them, so you can rotate in more fresh ones, and smell better.

It's all personal preference though. Some people like to wear heavy judo gis with t-shirts underneath, which seems crazy to me. I also can't stand a heavy, thick hakama. I go with the lightest material on those as well... but some people love those super heavy ones which seem like something suitable for an arctic expedition to me.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 09-20-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
paperbag3
United_States

My new 12 oz. dogis are very comfortable and seemingly indestructible. I'm sure they'll be even more comfortable after a breaking in period. I keep joking during the "knee walking" in the beginning of class that I'm going to set the dojo on fire.

Last edited by paperbag3 : 09-24-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 AM   #10
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

I'm considering the 12 oz. thing myself. But Israel is very humid, and I have a tendency for perspiration and I fear a heavy gi might make things worse. How's your experience with the 12 oz. gi in that respect?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #11
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I have a tendency for perspiration as well (of course I perspire in a very ladylike manner... NOT! ) and I like to wear a heavyish judo gi AND a t-shirt under it. Could loose the t-shirt exccept my keikogi doesn't quite close well enough to do that. Anyway, I like the heavy keikogi because it soaks the sweat up and then feels quite cool to wear.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Kevin Wilbanks

Roy,

the duck doesn't seem as absorbent, and it is stiff, so it won't stick to you. If you are talking a gi without a liner, it's the best for sweat issues. However, the Bu Jin gis have a hi-tech wicking fabric in the liner, and I find the lighter one feels better. It doesn't get that gross sticky feel and it is much softer, which helps me to relax. When I wear the ducking, I feel like I have to pay more attention to keep from tightening up my shoulders or pulling them forward, especially while sitting - the stiffness of the gi gives my upper body weird cues.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
Kevin Wilbanks

BTW, in case anyone is interested in the unlined duck gi I spoke of, I remembered the name of the supplier. The gi in question are classified as heavyweight Karate gi in their catalog, made by "JK". They are made of the same duck fabric as the Bu Jin gi, but without the coolmax liners, and with longer sleeves. They cost about half of what the Bu Jin gi cost. You must get their catalog and order by phone or mail. No website:

Kiyota Company 2326 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21218, or phone (800)783-2232.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:54 AM   #14
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

Thanks for the info! I would've never find this company without a website.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
Kevin Wilbanks

No problem. It is also a great place to order wooden weapons. They import directly from Japan and have styles corresponding to the specs of many weapons ryu and in several different types of wood. They have lots of styles of bokken that are lighter and easier to handle than those logs sold by Bu Jin. Also, if you get people in your dojo together for a large order, you can negotiate a discount.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
I have a tendency for perspiration as well (of course I perspire in a very ladylike manner... NOT! ) and I like to wear a heavyish judo gi AND a t-shirt under it. Could loose the t-shirt exccept my keikogi doesn't quite close well enough to do that. Anyway, I like the heavy keikogi because it soaks the sweat up and then feels quite cool to wear.

kvaak
Pauliina

I'd suggest trying out a 'rashguard' type shirt instead of a t-shirt. The rashguards are usually made of a material that helps pull sweat away from your skill and helps keep you cooler. Plus, rashguards don't ride up if they get loose.

My favorite gi in the world is my Atama gi. Unfortuantly it says jiujitsu on the sleeves. But the cut of the bjj gi just fits my body type perfectly.

Last edited by DonMagee : 09-26-2006 at 12:17 PM.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
miratim
Dojo: Albuquerque Aikido Kokikai
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
Kiyota Company 2326 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21218, or phone (800)783-2232.
I can't recommend Kiyota enough - the gi prices are great (especially if you have a few friends to bulk order with all at once), and the materials are well made. The jo/bokken I've seen are a terrific value also.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #18
Matthew White
United_States

don't know if your sensei would allow (some don't because of the ties on the lapel) but I use a white kendo gi. I got mine off of ebay and it's holding up rather well, the sleeves are 3/4 length, which makes wrist grabs easy, but the tails are longer than judo gi, so it stays in my hakama better. We're a pretty safe bunch and train really hard on target accuracy, so the ties on the lapel haven't been an issue... but I know a lot of dojo won't allow it because fingers can get caught/bent/broken in the ties...

of course you could always cut them off.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #19
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Matthew White wrote:
don't know if your sensei would allow (some don't because of the ties on the lapel) but I use a white kendo gi. I got mine off of ebay and it's holding up rather well, the sleeves are 3/4 length, which makes wrist grabs easy, but the tails are longer than judo gi, so it stays in my hakama better. We're a pretty safe bunch and train really hard on target accuracy, so the ties on the lapel haven't been an issue... but I know a lot of dojo won't allow it because fingers can get caught/bent/broken in the ties...

of course you could always cut them off.
Nooo! You need your fingers!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Dave Mata
Dojo: Kyoseikan Dojo, West Michigan Aikido
United_States

I saw several women training in Japan who had lapel ties on the Judo gis. A couple of women in my dojo have asked about companies who offer them, but I have not found any.

Any suggestions? (other than making them and sewing them on)

Part 2:
The BJJ gi's are great, they are much-much softer than the average judo uniform, the problem is the jackets are very short. It would be great if someone made a gi out of the BJJ cotton, but with a longer jacket and short sleeves (oh yeah, and with ties for the women who need them).
Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
Voitokas

United_States

My favourite gi is the "seersucker" summer judo gi that I got a year ago at Tozando. Very light, cool material, but tough and well-stitched. The jacket's pretty long, too, so it doesn't come apart like most non-tie gi jackets. The only downside is the price, which is a little high at ¥10000.

The jacket I wear every other day is a Kiyota judo gi, and I have to say that it's held up very well, five years and barely starting to fray (and I wash it almost every time I use it - especially because it's so heavy and sweat so much!). It is a good buy...

I am not an expert
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #22
Cynrod
United_States

Maybe this is late than never . I've been training with my Bujin heavyweight dogi for almost 2 weeks now and I really love it. Feels so different from my previous dogis that I used to wear.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #23
ken zen ichii
Japan

Quote:
Dave Mata wrote: View Post
I saw several women training in Japan who had lapel ties on the Judo gis. A couple of women in my dojo have asked about companies who offer them, but I have not found any.

Any suggestions? (other than making them and sewing them on)

Part 2:
The BJJ gi's are great, they are much-much softer than the average judo uniform, the problem is the jackets are very short. It would be great if someone made a gi out of the BJJ cotton, but with a longer jacket and short sleeves (oh yeah, and with ties for the women who need them).
Hello,

About the Gi's with lapel ties, Actually they are not Judo Gi's, Because of the nature of Judo pulls, grabs and graplling, Judo Gi's do not have lapel nor side ties on them. The Gi's with lapel ties are in fact Aiki Do Gi's. Try looking for Mitsuboshi brand and Tosando brand. This brands are the official Gis endorsed by the Aiki Kai and the Aiki Kai seal are even sewn on them.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Fox
Dojo: Samurai Dojo, Exeter
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Morrison wrote: View Post
My favourite gi is the "seersucker" summer judo gi that I got a year ago at Tozando. Very light, cool material, but tough and well-stitched. The jacket's pretty long, too, so it doesn't come apart like most non-tie gi jackets. The only downside is the price, which is a little high at ¥10000.

The jacket I wear every other day is a Kiyota judo gi, and I have to say that it's held up very well, five years and barely starting to fray (and I wash it almost every time I use it - especially because it's so heavy and sweat so much!). It is a good buy...
Well i'm fairly new to martial arts in general and i tend to run pretty hot to begin with and don't seem to sweat as easily so i tend to get really warm inside my current gi, I may check this out but does anybody else have any recommendations for a summer gi? Maybe something that breathes a little better than the standard gi that my sensei ordered for me