Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
jaxner
problems with US Customs and aikido24 goods

Hi guys,

I decided to give the 'new' bujin stuff a try and order a jacket and pants from aikido24. First off i'll say that the ordering process has been very nice- great communication and fast turn around to ship via fedEx. So it's out of their hands right now... no fault to them (so basically so far i have a positive review for them regarding shopping experience).

I'm expecting the stuff to arrive this week but this morning I had the most dumbfounding experience with a fexEx rep on the phone. They called and it went approximately like this:

FedEx: good morning sir, we have a package here from germany that is held up in Customs and we wanted to verify some information
Me: sure, what can i do for you?
FedEx: the first item on this list, a "white belt", it seems that this was manufactured in china, even though it's coming from Germany
Me: well, yes it's true that the vendor I purchased this from is in Germany, and yes i'm aware that this piece of 'clothing' is made in china
FedEx: Sir, can you please provide us with the address to the manufacturer in China that this garment was made?
Me: uh..... are you serious? who the heck is supposed to know the address of where something is made in china.... (thought about asking them what the address to the plant in china where your phone is made, but didn't want to be rude). I can get you the address to aikido24 in Germany where I purchased this from... is that enough?
FedEx: Sir, we are going to have to find the address to the manufacturer in china before clearing these items
[at this point i'm dumbfounded and have no idea what to say]

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them regarding purchases from aikido24? I actually had a difficult ordering from them in the first place because when I tried to place the order, my credit card company (a standard VISA card) halted the transaction due to fraud protection. I had to get them to manually 'unfreeze' transactions over there for a few hours so i could even place the order.

Is it coincidence that twice now i've had really weird hurdles to climb in purchasing goods from them? Again, my communication from them has been fantastic so this isn't criticism on them specifically. I'm just curious if it's happened to anyone else?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: problems with US Customs and aikido24 goods

Utterly insane. International commerce would screech to a standstill if every time each of us ordered from a mail order catalogue we had to figure out the mail order company's sources.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Utterly insane. International commerce would screech to a standstill if every time each of us ordered from a mail order catalogue we had to figure out the mail order company's sources.
methink, it's just to China. if i would guess, various nations are flagging goods with Chinese origin as a way to put pressure on China for the trade imbalance with other nations.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

This happens from time to time as things come into the US through customs. It is a complete pain in the ass and is your government at work, a part of the beloved Department of Homeland Security. You will probably have to pay an import duty to have your stuff released. As far as I can tell, it is random.

"The Internet has made it easy to find and purchase items from almost anywhere in the world. However, many people are discovering that getting a foreign-bought item successfully delivered to the United States is much more complicated.

When goods move from any foreign country to the United States, they are being IMPORTED. There are specific rules and regulations that govern the act of importing - and they can be extremely complex and confusing - and costly."

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Rob Watson
United_States

You should hear my fun while ordering a 'white powder' from Singapore ... they were not at all comforted when I explained it was harmless Europium and Yttrium oxides. Really these issues are due to the exporter not having their ducks lined up.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
jaxner

well, I thank you all for the input. I'll post the turnout when figure it out myself. For now, i just keep shaking my head.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Axner wrote: View Post
well, I thank you all for the input. I'll post the turnout when figure it out myself. For now, i just keep shaking my head.
Tell them that Customs can keep the white belt, with your compliments.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Joshua Axner wrote: View Post
Hi guys,

I decided to give the 'new' bujin stuff a try and order a jacket and pants from aikido24. First off i'll say that the ordering process has been very nice- great communication and fast turn around to ship via fedEx. So it's out of their hands right now... no fault to them (so basically so far i have a positive review for them regarding shopping experience).

I'm expecting the stuff to arrive this week but this morning I had the most dumbfounding experience with a fexEx rep on the phone. They called and it went approximately like this:

FedEx: good morning sir, we have a package here from germany that is held up in Customs and we wanted to verify some information
Me: sure, what can i do for you?
FedEx: the first item on this list, a "white belt", it seems that this was manufactured in china, even though it's coming from Germany
Me: well, yes it's true that the vendor I purchased this from is in Germany, and yes i'm aware that this piece of 'clothing' is made in china
FedEx: Sir, can you please provide us with the address to the manufacturer in China that this garment was made?
Me: uh..... are you serious? who the heck is supposed to know the address of where something is made in china.... (thought about asking them what the address to the plant in china where your phone is made, but didn't want to be rude). I can get you the address to aikido24 in Germany where I purchased this from... is that enough?
FedEx: Sir, we are going to have to find the address to the manufacturer in china before clearing these items
[at this point i'm dumbfounded and have no idea what to say]

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them regarding purchases from aikido24? I actually had a difficult ordering from them in the first place because when I tried to place the order, my credit card company (a standard VISA card) halted the transaction due to fraud protection. I had to get them to manually 'unfreeze' transactions over there for a few hours so i could even place the order.

Is it coincidence that twice now i've had really weird hurdles to climb in purchasing goods from them? Again, my communication from them has been fantastic so this isn't criticism on them specifically. I'm just curious if it's happened to anyone else?
This is the fault of the shipper. As a retailer shipping out of country, their documentation has to be better. Clearly their customers are not in a position to have this kind of information. When companies import goods in the US, they employ a "factor" to handle the process. It is the "factors" job to expedite the whole process, get more documentation if required, get the funds released for duty payments (deposits are held in advance for this), document final delivery to the customer etc. This all happens behind the scenes and most people not in the business don;t know anything at all about the process.

For a retailer shipping directly to a purchaser, it is up to the shipper to make sure that their documentation clears customs. It doesn't get through customs you should stop payment on your credit card and they are the ones stuck with goods at US customs. If that happens more than a couple of times, they either stop shipping to the US or they get their act together about how they document what they are shipping. You should contact the retailer and tell them this is their issue.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com