Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Mihaly Dobroka
Hungary
YouTube: Various Jo Techniques

Here is a video on throwing techniques with Jo.

In this video basic Jo Awase (blending) and Kumi Jo throwing movements are demonstrated first. Then we use them to vary the Kumi Jo of 31 movements Jo form. Ken tai Jo, Jo taking and Jo Sabaki (let the partner to grab the tip of the Jo) movements are also demonstrated and finally we apply them against three opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293P...MWgkqAobsoXRkQ

What are your thoughts on these techniques?

Mihaly
Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Gary David

United_States
Re: YouTube: Various Jo Techniques

Ok.... I see this, and the others, as visual art. Without knowing more....visual art appears to be the substance and product of your practice. It works for you so stay with it.....not what I do.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel

Thank you so much for this lovely video.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Good vid. Nice job.

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Some differences in the work for me......but as an instructional vid giving some ideas out for and instructor to take away and build their own lesson plan ...in their own way....its pretty well done.

For new students looking for some ideas.....again.....its well done.

Sure - you can subject it to the usual criticisms that a lot of Aikido gets......but why bother? Take the positives....ignore the rest.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Nice lesson, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Some differences in the work for me......but as an instructional vid giving some ideas out for and instructor to take away and build their own lesson plan ...in their own way....its pretty well done.

For new students looking for some ideas.....again.....its well done.

Sure - you can subject it to the usual criticisms that a lot of Aikido gets......but why bother? Take the positives....ignore the rest.
The problem with that is newer students are very influential and will pick up poor habits more experienced students allow themselves to foster. There's no need for all the posturing this guy does in his videos, and I'd be curious to know if he came up with that himself to "make the art his own" or is mimicking a past or current teacher.

On the technical side there is almost no actual technical execution. I'm fine with him going at a slow and unrealistic pace as its meant to inform, but at least put in enough energy to follow through on technique. Its a shame, too, because there's aspects to like in the guy's movement.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
The problem with that is newer students are very influential and will pick up poor habits more experienced students allow themselves to foster. There's no need for all the posturing this guy does in his videos, and I'd be curious to know if he came up with that himself to "make the art his own" or is mimicking a past or current teacher.

On the technical side there is almost no actual technical execution. I'm fine with him going at a slow and unrealistic pace as its meant to inform, but at least put in enough energy to follow through on technique. Its a shame, too, because there's aspects to like in the guy's movement.
Well Adam - I can't take it that seriously....my training influence comes from flesh and blood contact on the mat...I encourage same attitude in my students but don't see any harm in continually looking everywhere for ideas....that why I still pop up here now and then.

This guy has put a vid out....fair play to him....I've done same myself in the past. 2 or 3 years time if he keeps training he'll see imperfections himself as I have in my own work.

Its no big deal and any new students picking up bad ideas - not habits - will soon get them knocked out of them back in the dojo. Habits require a bit more work to make permanent.

Now,,,in your own words 'there are aspects to like'.....so rather than rain on anyones parade I choose to encourage him for the good bits ....but not set myself up as judge or jury of the whole thing....I can't take myself that seriously either these days....I'm 23 years in this art and still don't know what I don't know....So I just look to encourage other and not say something that I'll regret when I break into the next level.

Isn't it great that we get to choose how we conduct ourselves? I used to have some massive arguments on here with thosewith different views to my own on Aikido....but the more I get out the more slack I give everyone else.....I must be getting old....<sigh>

Last edited by Dazzler : 12-19-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: missed a word or two
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
I find that kind of comment odd, because to me, I want to hear the negative so I can honestly evaluate myself. Yes, sometimes my honest evaluation may end with, the guy who said that is a jerk and not worth it, but most of the time very valid points are made. How do you get better if you only look at what people like about you, in life and in Aikido?

--Ashley
Old 12-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
I find that kind of comment odd, because to me, I want to hear the negative so I can honestly evaluate myself. Yes, sometimes my honest evaluation may end with, the guy who said that is a jerk and not worth it, but most of the time very valid points are made. How do you get better if you only look at what people like about you, in life and in Aikido?

--Ashley
While the OP has invited critique of his work and may gratefully accept the public chipping in with all sorts of well meaning advice - whether 6th Kyu or 6th Dan....my choice is to encourage the positive publicly....and offer constructive criticism face to face should we ever meet ....or privately if so desired so I decline the opportunity to cut his work up.

My choice ....

If you think I've said that I only look at what people like about me or suggest this is a way forward....well....thats quite a leap from my reservations about criticising some unknown and untouched Aikidoka based upon a vid he's decided to put out ........

For me they aren't anywhere near the same thing.

If we were working together in class I'd be dumping shedloads of thoughts, advice, ideas, reasons, strategy and anything else that I thought could help...and I'd be listening too.

Because - in a dojo & F2F ambiguity, misinterpretation and plain old misunderstanding can more easily be avoided.

That just doesn't seem to work so well via the internet....hence the expression 'keyboard warrior".

cheers

D
Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
ken king
United_States

Op asked for feedback and is receiving it, what's the probelm? If we just pat each other on the back for every video we're not doing each other any favors.We all should be actively searching for and focusing on our failures so that we might improve.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Dazzler
England

No problem for me Ken, go right ahead and give feedback.....go focus on the guys failures....or your view of them.

I'll choose to encourage the guys efforts and save the details for a time when we may meet.

If people want to discuss the pro's and cons of my choice....well maybe thats another thread.