Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Tommy_S
Dojo: Aikido society Zagreb
Croatia
Lack of progress?

I don't know if this was discussed before....

I have a problem. I've been training (Ki) Aikido since 1999. but lately I'm beginning to have this strange feeling of lack of progress. Whats even worse, I have the feeling that the longer I'm training I'm making more and more mistakes when performing techniques (all of them).... And I also have this strange urge to perform techniques faster and with more power than necessary, so after a few turns my techniques become very... messy, uncoordinated (?) (sorry I can't find the right expression to describe it), like I'm not focused enough on the technique and training partner.... And even my sensei told me that sometimes I do beginners mistakes.

Of course, I'm doing my best trying to correct these mistakes, but still I have the same feeling (no progress).

Did anyone had any similar experiences? ... And some advice would be appreciated...

Tommy

P.S. I apologize for my bad English...

Last edited by Tommy_S : 06-27-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Lack of progress?

Generally, in my experience, I find it useful to go back and work on basics: tai sabaki, ashi sabaki and te sabaki. We all have plateaus and the harder we try the more we struggle. As Yoda says, try no-do. Sorry couldn't resist. When you focus on the elements of the technique and restrengthen your basis then the techniques we get back to normal. Overtime, we sometimes get sloppy.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

It sounds like you are on a plateau; it is very common, and usually signifies an impending improvement/breakthrough. And about the only thing to do is keep slogging through it and not let it get to you. Bow in with a smile and no expectations and accept what happens. Maybe in your case, be willing to move slowly and not "go for throws" but for letting the feeling of good posture, breathing, and position be your focus.
Don't give up! It won't stay this way forever.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
mj

If you've been in the same club for 6 years you should go to some others too.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Brehan Crawford

Quote:
Bow in with a smile and no expectations and accept what happens.
I like this advice. A while ago I read this book and one of the key things that stuck with me was Cheng's piece of advice to his students to "invest in loss" when practicing with partners. In the case of the book it was push hands but you can apply it to anything.

When I'm having a tough time in practice, not being able to hold my center or make anything work, I try to stop trying to make it work and just do as little as possible. Let the technique spring up spontaneously from the energy I'm getting from my partner and not care whether or not it actually succeeds or makes them do fancy ukemi. Keeps me humble and keeps me from getting frustrated.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Sounds to me like you are on the verge of further progress. Normally, once I "discover" some "new" concept or understanding and try to tune my body to it, I find all I am doing seems to go wrong for some time period.
If you press on training at this time, it is likely you will re-connect all the dots and get much better.

Amir
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

Sounds to me like you've answered most of your own questions. Follow your own advice - slow down, be precise, focus on the basics, search for the path of least resistance, do your technique without physical strength. Contrary to one thing you said, DO NOT focus on your training partner (just stay connected) - focus on yourself. Maybe you're training too often, or maybe you're not training often enough. Maybe you just need to shake things up a little - go to a seminar. Everyone has had excellent comments for you here - try them all! We all have good days and bad days, but we learn the most on the bad days. (we just don't realize it until we have our next good day)

Gambatte!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Christy S
United_States

All the advice above is excellent and I suggest you take. But also remember that those who are just beginning training are totally unaware of the numerous mistakes they are making. No matter what level you are, as you improve and go higher up the more you will realize your mistakes, even the simplest. This is improvement to be able to see your mistakes, gives you the ability to correct them and become better. I have have gone through the very same frustrations and just embrace the fact you see them and continue to correct yourself. A good friend of mine once said that, "I might do a technique perfect one in a thousand times, but I'm working on making it one in 999". One step at a time, good luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
BenDuckett
Dojo: Shinryukan, Auckland
New Zealand

The questions I keep asking myself are:
how long before I am no longer a beginner and I'm just rubbish at Aikido?
How will I know when to make that decision.?
I have my first grading on saturday and I'm trying to pretend that I'm ready for it!
Is there a record for the longest time to reach Shodan?!
Kind regards to all of those who put up with newbies like me,
Ben
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
bbleeker

Netherlands

Quote:
Ben Duckett wrote:
The questions I keep asking myself are:
how long before I am no longer a beginner and I'm just rubbish at Aikido?
Hasn't happened to me yet, so it must be after shodan, at the earliest.

Quote:
Ben Duckett wrote:
Is there a record for the longest time to reach Shodan?!
Dunno; I started over 10 years ago, and I'm still an ikkyu, but I don't know if that's a record.

Lots of succes with your grading!

Berna Bleeker
Old 06-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Berna Bleeker wrote:
Dunno; I started over 10 years ago, and I'm still an ikkyu, but I don't know if that's a record. !
heheheh. I'm at 9 1/2 yrs and still nikkyu!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
Tommy_S
Dojo: Aikido society Zagreb
Croatia

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
It sounds like you are on a plateau; it is very common, and usually signifies an impending improvement/breakthrough
That's exactly what a colleague of mine told me...
Quote:
Mark Johnston wrote:
If you've been in the same club for 6 years you should go to some others too.
Hmm.... In my area there's only one other Ki Society Aikido club, and all the other clubs teach different styles (so I'd lose my rank and have to go through everything again). And I don't think going to another club would solve my problem.....

Anyway, thank you all for your advices and encouragement. I'll see what will happen after the summer break....
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #13
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

I would say that a newly acquired perception of a lack of progress is actually an indication of progress -- you know now that you don't know what you don't know, ya know?

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"