Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Tennessee Mike
United_States
Kuzushi

Are there any sources that go in depth in explaining how and when to apply kuzushi? I can find definitions and short explanations about lines perpendicular to the feet. I can find that you can create it by ma-ai, strikes, breaking the rhythm of the attacker and a couple other methods. If anyone knows a good aikido book or video on this please let me know.

Mike
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Kuzushi

IMHO, kuzushi as in balance breaking is important. The lines are an equilateral triangle using the the feet and a triangulation point in front or behind. Also, a sins distances in almost any direction over extends the attack and facilitates a loss of balance.

If you bend forward and rise on your toes, the place where you want to put your hand will be your front kuzushi point. If you bend backward, the place where you want to put your foot will be your rear kuzushi point.

In waza, if you fill this point so the uke depends on you for balance and then empty it, they fall. Its also a place to aim the wrist, elbow, or shoulder of the uke when executing waza.

Hope that helps in some small way.

IMHO, Aikido is all about blending and balance.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

I was at a seminar with Miles Kessler recently and he had a neat way of integrating (and physically explaining) kuzushi.

1st you have tai sabaki
2nd kuzushi
3rd waza

Take a basic technique and break it down this way and it kind of explains itself.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

For me kuzushi is paramount to executing any Aikido technique. It's a combination of musubi, ma ai (which changes throughout the technique), timing and movement (which may/ may not include atemi).

I've never looked at it from the perpendicular line angle, although I guess that's a good way of explaining it. Lynn hit the nail firmly on the head though. You move, and move uke, to make yourself uke's point of support, thus uke is totally reliant on you to stay upright. Once you have that reliance, you move out of that point creating a little void for uke to fall into. There isn't a definitive point to move to, you just keep moving until uke is compromised, if you stop, uke can (although may not) recover. Kuzushi requires sensitivity and takes a lot of practice, it's something you have to learn to do with your whole body, and it's especially something you have to learn to feel with your whole body.

I don't know of any books that specifically deal with kuzushi, but probably the best exponent of kuzushi that I have ever seen, is Yamaguchi Sensei. I have had the pleasure to train with two of his students, both are excellent at applying kuzushi. One is Endo Sensei, the other is Nakao Sensei.

Keep practicing, good luck.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-23-2004, 02:57 AM   #5
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, kuzushi as in balance breaking is important. The lines are an equilateral triangle using the the feet and a triangulation point in front or behind. Also, a sins distances in almost any direction over extends the attack and facilitates a loss of balance.

If you bend forward and rise on your toes, the place where you want to put your hand will be your front kuzushi point. If you bend backward, the place where you want to put your foot will be your rear kuzushi point.

In waza, if you fill this point so the uke depends on you for balance and then empty it, they fall. Its also a place to aim the wrist, elbow, or shoulder of the uke when executing waza.

Hope that helps in some small way.

IMHO, Aikido is all about blending and balance.
Excellent Lynn.

I'd add to this that if Tori positions his centre over these front and rear points as he executes his technique he can achieve perfect maai (distance), he has no need to bend so can have perfect shisei (posture) and if he angles his body correctly ...perfect kamae - relationship with uke.

Utilising these points maximises Toris effectiveness and takes Uke to his point of greatest weakness.

When you see or experience seemingly effortless thows I believe it is because Tori has blended exactly to this position.

This is why the smallest person can throw the largest as long as they find the right position.

Cheers

D
Old 12-23-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Mike,

There is an excellent book called Center which deals a lot with this topic. Check out the reviews at this website.

Charles
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Michael Ellefson wrote:
I was at a seminar with Miles Kessler recently and he had a neat way of integrating (and physically explaining) kuzushi.

1st you have tai sabaki
2nd kuzushi
3rd waza

Take a basic technique and break it down this way and it kind of explains itself.
Another way, perhaps more classically, to look at it is through:

1) Kuzushi
2) Tsukuri
3) Kake

Here are some web pages that go through this:

http://www.kyushinryujujitsu.com/kuzushi.htm
http://www.floridajukido.com/i/cmd/show_article?ID=11
http://www.humankinetics.com/product...xcerpt_id=3066

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-24-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
justinm
United Kingdom

If I recall correctly Jun, you once explained that kuzushi means more than unbalancing, but refers to destroying the foundations, or undermining, (or something along those lines).

This takes the whole concept of kuzushi a step further, I think, in that it is no longer about only unbalancing, but making it impossible for uke to regain that balance as there is no longer a structure or foundation to depend upon.

I find this a fascinating concept to work on when training, and it becomes the core purpose of movement. A 'technique' is then simply a means to achieve that, rather than a goal in its own right.

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 12-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
akiy

Quote:
Justin McCarthy wrote:
If I recall correctly Jun, you once explained that kuzushi means more than unbalancing, but refers to destroying the foundations, or undermining, (or something along those lines).
Yup. For me, kuzushi entails the undermining of a structure's foundation to undermine its stability. The term "unbalancing" doesn't capture this essence of kuzushi to me.

I've felt people who can, from a katatedori, affect my knees (making them feel as they just melted) or manipulate my movement in such a way as to "sweep" my feet from under me (without touching them). I certainly can't do such yet, but it's been interesting to try...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Mike Wiggins wrote:
Are there any sources that go in depth in explaining how and when to apply kuzushi? ... If anyone knows a good aikido book or video on this please let me know.

Mike
Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge - F. Shishida, T. Nariyama gives in depth information regarding the different aspects of kuzushi its place in technique and explains the Shodokan's practice drill of the 7 basic types of kuzushi. This other book Aikido and Randori: Scott Allbright does the same from another perspective.

Both books are great resources for understanding the fundamentals of kuzushi and how they affect the effectivness of Aikido technique.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 PM   #11
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Another way, perhaps more classically, to look at it is through:

1) Kuzushi
2) Tsukuri
3) Kake

Here are some web pages that go through this:

http://www.kyushinryujujitsu.com/kuzushi.htm
http://www.floridajukido.com/i/cmd/show_article?ID=11
http://www.humankinetics.com/product...xcerpt_id=3066

-- Jun
Even more classical from Kano Sensei is

Tsukuri
Kake
Kime

Had an interesting comment from one of my Shihans many years ago when one of my students asked him about the importance of Tsukuri, Kake, and Kime in Aikido. The Shihan said "It is very important because in Aikido, it does not exist. You should study it well." (My translation)
Fortunately, the student understood and walked away satisfied. Another, lower ranked student went "Huh? Uh, Sensie, I don't understand? Did he say it was important because it doesn't exist? And that we should study it because it doesn't exist?"
The Shihan upon hearing this said "Ki no nagare. We strive for Katsu Haya Hi." (My translation)
I think the second student understood.

Rock
Old 01-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
eyrie

Australia

Sensei Rock,
Could you please explain (or roughly translate) what these terms mean in English?

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:

Tsukuri
Kake
Kime
Ki no nagare
Katsu Haya Hi
Rock
Thanks

Ignatius
Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Certainly not of any great importance like some of the links above, I once wrote this on Kuzushi. Though not totally on kuzushi, it does have some points I feel are important to consider whenever we are addressing the topic. If you got some time, check it out:

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/w...dokuzushi.html

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.