Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Hanna B
Sweden
The history of tapping

In judo, in aikido and in several other budo arts you tap when you want your partner to let go of you. How universal is this signal, I wonder? Does it exist in all budo arts (except karate and kendo etc where it is not needed)?

Who invented it? Do all koryu schools use it?

Is it Kano Jigoros "fault" that we all use it?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: The history of tapping

I think it is pretty universal for there to be some signal. In my limited experience of a few koryu and styles of aikido, judo, etc. all signal that a conclusion has been reached be it a tap on the mat, body, clap or kiai. If one thinks about it there has to be some communication that success has been achieved and to guard against potential damage.

What is not so universal is what that signal means. In the more traditional and less modern arts I've experienced the signal is usually more nuanced than just "let go." It could mean that the limit of range of mobility has been reached or a limit of pain and so application his held at that point. It could also mean that this portion of the technique has achieved its aim and is a signal for the next part to commence. It is pretty rare for the "tap" to trigger a complete letting go except for things like chokes where pressure has to be released immediately or the person is going out. Usually some level of control is maintained throughout the process of disengaging.

Kata training is a communication rich environment with all sorts of signals and call and response and whatnot. If and when one moves off the script of kata even more communication is necessary if training is going to be safe and productive.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States

Good question. From personal experience I tend to ask first before free play begins. Sometimes I forget....not good. New folks to any school come with their own understanding of the rules, hence it is important to go to a basic agreement of communication.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

prefer to scream like a little girl meself. tapping is just soooo unmanly.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
I think it is pretty universal for there to be some signal. In my limited experience of a few koryu and styles of aikido, judo, etc. all signal that a conclusion has been reached be it a tap on the mat, body, clap or kiai. If one thinks about it there has to be some communication that success has been achieved and to guard against potential damage.

What is not so universal is what that signal means. In the more traditional and less modern arts I've experienced the signal is usually more nuanced than just "let go." It could mean that the limit of range of mobility has been reached or a limit of pain and so application his held at that point. It could also mean that this portion of the technique has achieved its aim and is a signal for the next part to commence. It is pretty rare for the "tap" to trigger a complete letting go except for things like chokes where pressure has to be released immediately or the person is going out. Usually some level of control is maintained throughout the process of disengaging.
But tapping as The Signal is not that universal, you say. Where and when do people use kiai?

If the scale of signals are more varied in koryu, it could have been Kano who simplified the system. If a competing sparring system you need a signal that simply says "let go".
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Walker

United_States

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
But tapping as The Signal is not that universal, you say. Where and when do people use kiai?

If the scale of signals are more varied in koryu, it could have been Kano who simplified the system. If a competing sparring system you need a signal that simply says "let go".
"Maitta!" (参った!) is a common verbal admission of defeat.

I guess I don't know what you are asking for. All I have said is that "tapping out" is one signal among many. I find it hard to believe that no one in Japanese budo ever had the idea to have a signal before Kano. If a signal is necessary in a competing sparing system, what do they do in freestyle or greco-roman wrestling? Sumo? How about fencing or boxing?

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Hanna B
Sweden

I'm asking for ideas of the history of tapping, that's all. Since I've trained in a (non aikido) style where tapping is not the universal signal it is in judo and aikido. So I wonder if someone threw away something that was always there, or if someone introduced something to some budo. Kano probably didn't invent all that much. But since his judo was so popular, many concepts from judo trainning probably influenced several koryu. In this way possibly some things seem universal that actually arenn. But Im only speculating.

Im not expecting anyone to have answers. Just throwing ideas and questions out to see what happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Walker

United_States

OK, got it.

One other thought you might consider is that the "simplifying" of communication in judo and aikido to something along the lines of an on/off switch might be related to a general degradation of kata training in both arts — when it is acknowledged at all, it is generally in a simplified form.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場