Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany
"group" in Japanese?

Hi all,

could anyone tell me what the Japanese word for "group" would be? I mean "group" as in a group of people i.e. the people who do aikido together in a dojo.

Thanks very much for your help,
Sonja
Old 04-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: "group" in Japanese?

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
Hi all,

could anyone tell me what the Japanese word for "group" would be? I mean "group" as in a group of people i.e. the people who do aikido together in a dojo.

Thanks very much for your help,
Sonja
Not surprisingly in a group oriented society, there are many, many words for "group". There's the English loanword グループ "guruupu". There's the old Chinese standby 集団 "shuudan". There's the words for teams 球団 "kyuudan", and words for a bunch of people 連中 "renchuu". If I refered to the people I do aikido with, I'd probably say 道場 "dojo" or 道場の人たち "dojo no hitotachi" "the people at the dojo". A more official phrasing would probably be 道場の会員たち "dojo no kaiin-tachi", "members of the dojo".

If you could tell us how you want to use the word it'd be a lot easier to find the right word for what you want to say.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Tom54
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Japan

Hallo Sonja

Wie geht es dir?
Ich habe auch in Deutschland gelebt, in Koeln fuer zehn Jahre. Ich habe mich damahls mehr als ein Deutscher angesehn als ein Japaner. Sehr, sehr gute Erinnerung!!

I think the appropriate word would be (in the context of peoples who are doing Aikido in the same dojo) "Nakama". But the literal translation of the word "Nakama" would be "Buddies" or"Kumpels".

A literal translation of the English word "group" would be either "Gurupu(the adopter version for the English word) or "Shudan(very formal word)".

If you are not trying a formal explanation of the English word "group" even the adopted Japanese version of the word ("Gurupu") would be better.

If you are trying a more intimate explanation, "Nakama" would be best.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Osu! Tom,

I didn't know you spoke german as well! Now I really feel inferiour. 10 years in Germany? How did you like Koeln? There is a Yoshinkan instructor who lives in Paris, but teaches in Germany I believe. Have you trained with him?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
Sonja2012

Germany

Thanks you guys, for taking the time to reply!

I should have given you more information about this, sorry:

If you wanted to give a group of people who train together an "identity" (for example a name such as "shoshin aikido group") and couldnīt name the dojo itself, what word would you use for that? The German word for group just sounds silly and so maybe the Japanese word for that might be an option... Would Nakama still be correct for that?

Tom, I am glad you had a good time in Koeln. I always found that the people from that area are very gregarious and easy-going - after all they had a type of beer named after themselves . I went to a couple of really good parties there Are you living in Japan, now?

Kind reagrds,
Sonja
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
Thanks you guys, for taking the time to reply!

I should have given you more information about this, sorry:

If you wanted to give a group of people who train together an "identity" (for example a name such as "shoshin aikido group") and couldnīt name the dojo itself, what word would you use for that? The German word for group just sounds silly and so maybe the Japanese word for that might be an option... Would Nakama still be correct for that?
Well, don't knock your own language! German is a great, ancient language, with words of power and meaning to its native speakers. Just because a word comes from a foreign language doesn't make it better; often times what seems exotic in a foreign language is in fact quite commonplace.

"Nakama" wouldn't be what you're looking for in this case. Ironically (given my earlier remarks), the word you're looking for in Japanese is just that sort of import. You could use クラブ kurabu, "club" (alternatively written with the kanji 倶楽部), or サークル saakuru "circle".

Another alternative would be to use 会 "kai". For example:

Shoshin Aikido Renshukai 初心合気道練習会 "Shoshin Aikido Practice Group"
Shoshin Aikido Kenkyukai 初心合気道研究会 "Shoshin Aikido Research Group"
Shoshin Aikido Keikokai 初心合気道稽古会 "Shoshin Aikido Training Group"
Shoshin Aikido Shugyokai 初心合気道修業会 "Shoshin Aikido Training Group"

"Club", "circle", and "renshukai" have a nice informal ring to them. "Kenkyukai", "keikokai", and "shugyokai" sound more serious to my ears. Perhaps Tom-san can provide some more ideas or perspective.

Josh Reyer

- Chaucer
Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
"Club", "circle", and "renshukai" have a nice informal ring to them. "Kenkyukai", "keikokai", and "shugyokai" sound more serious to my ears. Perhaps Tom-san can provide some more ideas or perspective.
If what I hear is indicative of a general trend, I believe that 'circle' is a common way of describing a group that's 'into' something.

Otherwise, what do you think of 団体 (dantai)?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
If what I hear is indicative of a general trend, I believe that 'circle' is a common way of describing a group that's 'into' something.

Otherwise, what do you think of 団体 (dantai)?
Interestingly, there's an 合気道団体 (aikido dantai) entry in the Japanese Wikipedia, under which it lists most of the well-known Japanese aikido organizations, Aikikai, Yoshinkai, Shinshin Toitsu Aikidokai, etc.

But as a name of a club, I don't think it would be too bad.

Josh Reyer

- Chaucer
Old 04-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai

If I understand correctly what is being asked for, I think you definitely want -kai. None of the others (with the possible exception of kurabu) ring true to me when used in the name of a group.

However it's still not clear exactly what sort of group this is. Is it a bunch of friends within an established dojo? If so, what is it about the group that gives it its identity?

Dave

Last edited by saltlakeaiki : 04-22-2006 at 12:20 PM.

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

i agree, kai
as in aikikai, roshukai etc.
dont know how to type in kanji though im afraid
Old 04-25-2006, 01:26 AM   #11
Sonja2012

Germany

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, you have given me lots of ideas and things to think about. Itīs such a detailed language, it seems. Gosh - I actually thought about taking Japanese classes, but it seems so complicated that I donīt know if I could manage

Josh, I agree that oneīs own language can be powerful and using fancy foreign words is not always the best option. But there are words that just donīt *sound* good in connection with others and "Aikido Gruppe" or "Aikido Kreis" (German for group and circle) are - unfortunately some of them, IMO.

We are still thinking about some German expression too, but havenīt found one so far. I like saakuru, too.