Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-13-2001, 12:41 AM   #1
Edward
Thailand
Dojo name and location

Dear All,

I see that most of the guys out there do not mention their dojo name, location and style. I think this anonymity leads sometimes to irresponsible and inconsiderate comments. I am sure that, were the dojo and affiliation known, people would be more considerate in order not to compromize their dojo and senseis.

Best regards,
Edward
Old 12-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #2
Mike Haber
Thumbs up Hey Edward.

What a goof. So I guess asking questions on this board is irresponsible and inconsiderate?

Why are you the only fool who would not answer my question above?

Maybe it is you that has the problem?!!

Sincerely,

Mike Haber
Old 12-13-2001, 04:06 PM   #3
abarnhar
Although I don't know all the board politics, I still believe that not including a location or Dojo name is a valid concept.

I know that I'm new to the art and might ask some rather dumb questions or give an answer that could be completely off-base. I don't want these to reflect upon my Dojo or my Sensei, both of which I hold in the highest of regards.

Quote:
...people would be more considerate in order not to compromize their dojo and senseis.
I'm not trying to be inconsiderate by being anonymous. I'm trying to learn in an open, conversational environment, while protecting those I respect.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:07 PM   #4
Lenocinari

Boy will be boys

Now boys play nice! I dont think thats very aikido of you two. Resolve conflic before it happens.

In order to see the stars, you first have to turn off the lights.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:11 PM   #5
guest1234
Besides, just to play mother hen once more, I don't think our younger members should be giving out any more identifying info on the web than they do already

perhaps not a problem in Thailand, but a BIG issue/worry for parents in the U.S.

I think those of us 'lacking manners' would be equally outspoken with or without a listed affiliation, and some of us are 'between' dojos.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:15 PM   #6
mj
Re: Hey Edward.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Haber
What a goof. So I guess asking questions on this board is irresponsible and inconsiderate?

Ahem...
he wasn't the only fool that didn't answer your question!
I never said a word

Asking questions on this board is like asking questions anywhere, you will get many varied responses, or sometimes none at all

Anyway...what was the question?
I'll give it a go, as long as it's not about parenting

Old 12-13-2001, 09:00 PM   #7
Edward
Thailand
Re: Hey Edward.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Haber

Well, I have no idea about what you're talking about and why. Kindly make sure that you didn't mistake me with someone else. Otherwise please be more specific about what I did that offended you so much.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:53 PM   #8
akiy

Just to clarify the official AikiWeb Forums position, the only thing that is asked as required is the poster's real name (as long as they are over 13) in their profile. Everything else including dojo and location are optional.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-13-2001, 10:05 PM   #9
guest1234
mj, what's the matter, finding it difficult to develop aiki with a toddler?
Old 12-13-2001, 10:08 PM   #10
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
Just to clarify the official AikiWeb Forums position, the only thing that is asked as required is the poster's real name (as long as they are over 13) in their profile. Everything else including dojo and location are optional.

-- Jun
Dear Jun,

My suggestion was just only that, a suggestion. I did not imply that members should do it, but just that it would be preferable, in my personal opinion, which might (or probably is judging by the responses) be wrong.

I think a well meaning person has nothing to hide.

Best regards,
Edward
Old 12-13-2001, 10:11 PM   #11
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
My suggestion was just only that, a suggestion. I did not imply that members should do it, but just that it would be preferable, in my personal opinion, which might (or probably is judging by the responses) be wrong.
Yup -- understood!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:15 PM   #12
Marty

Dojo: Southside dojo
HI all,
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I really don't think that style and affiliation should enter in to this. In my opinion this is a forum of peoples opinions not the opinions of the dojo sensei or style. And as for politeness really there are 4 choices just like every were else, like the statement, hate it and leave, hate it and fight it, hate it and blend. You never know it might give us all a good lesson in aiki.

truly
Marty
Old 12-14-2001, 02:53 PM   #13
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Rite on marty!

That aside, I think everyone has a valid point. The use of keizu is probably unheard of outside of Japan, but is worthwhile to understand its importance. Knowing the background of the practicioner (ie his sensei, his sensei's sensei and so on and so forth) helps in identiying where he's coming from.

Still, wanting to avoid prejudice, or keeping certain info private, is well within your right and makes a lot of sense in this convulated modern world.

But we all should really lighten up when expressing our views (in this and other threads). Since its just a forum where ppl are exchanging ideas. You don't win anything from being right in the discussions held here nor can you twist other people's arms so that they will all think like you. Accept the differences in opinion. Putting a smiley after a disparaging remark doesn't make it ok.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:25 AM   #14
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan

The use of keizu is probably unheard of outside of Japan, but is worthwhile to understand its importance. Knowing the background of the practicioner (ie his sensei, his sensei's sensei and so on and so forth) helps in identiying where he's coming from.

If I am discussing a topic with someone, it is really helpful to know his background, what style he practices, with which sensei, which country, his age?(I think there are a lot of kids on this forum)...etc. Also I want to know if he ever practiced Aikido because some of the members do other MA or none at all.

I think this is quite relevant, because it helps direct the conversation in an instructive and useful way for every one.

After all this is an Aikido forum and such information is essential.

Well, at least this is my personal opinion.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 12-16-2001, 12:38 PM   #15
guest1234
Hmm, well, I kind of like figuring out where folks are coming from just from what they say, rather than assuming from dojo location, years of life or training, or sensei, but then, I don't like partners telling me 'move here, step there' versus exploring it myself

I think after a while you learn people as well as you can learn through an email conversation, and I think when I've met some folks they are much as I expected. I've even been right about affiliation on occasion.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:08 PM   #16
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty
In my opinion this is a forum of peoples opinions not the opinions of the dojo sensei or style.
That sums up my feelings.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:27 PM   #17
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty
In my opinion this is a forum of peoples opinions not the opinions of the dojo sensei or style.
Well mostly I agree with you - for sure anything I express here is my opinion possibly backed up by sources.

But ....

Aside from the possibility that some of those who express their opinion are dojo sensei there are times where an incorrect statement of one style or the other is refuted/clarified by someone who is the closest representative of the style.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-16-2001, 03:27 PM   #18
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR

Aside from the possibility that some of those who express their opinion are dojo sensei there are times where an incorrect statement of one style or the other is refuted/clarified by someone who is the closest representative of the style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	21  

Last edited by shihonage : 12-16-2001 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:40 AM   #19
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Hmm, well, I kind of like figuring out where folks are coming from just from what they say, ... I think after a while you learn people as well as you can learn through an email conversation, and I think when I've met some folks they are much as I expected. I've even been right about affiliation on occasion.
Hi Colleen! Funny you should say this. I dare say that You have become allmost an institution on this forum and I have for quite a while tried to figure out what you are like 'in person'. Haven't had much luck yet though - but then again, opposed to you I actually like when people tell me how to do things, so I don't have to figure it out for myself

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration