Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-31-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States
Iaido and Aikido

Happy new year. I have been in martial arts for some time and am interested in improving my weapons technique, particularly sword work. I have decided to begin Iaido study this year and am wondering what folks who have studied both Aikido and Iaido think about it's affect on Aikido training?

Thanks,

Garrett
http://aikidosuimei.com
Old 12-31-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Iaido and Aikido

I started Iaido around the time I passed my sankyu test in Aikido. My feeling was in that first year it greatly improved my suwariwaza in Aikido since the shoden level involved so much practice moving swiftly from seiza.

Looking back over the years, I would say that practicing both was synergistic. My Iaido practiced informed my Aikido practice in terms of generating power, precision, and concentration. My Aikido and Ki development practice informed my Iaido in terms of extension, relaxed grip, balance, keeping one-point, and just general awareness of what I was or wasn't doing to achieve proper form.

It continues to be an ongoing process, each serving a need, so I guess that's why I continue to do both while such things as Tai Chi have dropped away.

happy new year

Craig
Old 01-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Dyusan
Dojo: Shoshikan
Hi Garrett, HAPPY NEW YEAR! I have studied Iaido for about six years now and it has only ehanced my Aikido training. One of the benefits from the training is that my Iai instructor has shown the same principles that my Aiki intructors have shown.

Gary Chase
Old 01-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
NagaBaba

If you find a good iaido instructor, you will learn martial spirit, that is lacking in many aikido dojo.

Also iaido will teach you understanding some important principles (how to enter into an attack, right angle to apply a technique, sharpness of spirit, proper applying of body mechanics to developp power of throw,things like that...)

Very goo idea to practice iaido!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 01-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Finding a teach at all is not easy. I am planning also to start Iaido training in the coming weeks. Though It is a lot more investment then Aikido. The clothing, Katana, and tution fees. However I have found no martial art to cross train with. They seem compliment each other well. (from what I have seen in the classes).

Ryan
Old 01-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States
Thank you for your responses.

I just completed my first class in Iaido and am left wondering what took me so long to start.

It is good to be a beginner again.

-Peace

Garrett

Old 01-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: Iaido and Aikido

Garrett, I have been studying Aikido and Japanese swordsmanship for well over three decades. I personally believe that they should go together. My Aikido has for the last 25 years or so been with the ASU and directed by my friend and teacher Mitsugi Saotome Sensei. My sword work has for the last several years since the death of my principal teacher been iaijutsu under my friend Masayuki Shimabukuro Sensei. Under the right direction from people, who truly understand what it is they are teaching, you will strengthen both your Aikido and your swordsman ship through this symbiosis. However if you find your teachers do not make the connection then it will be incumbent upon you to look for it yourself. This could be difficult even impossible if your teachers are not willing to let you explore the relationships.

Good Luck

Dennis Hooker

www.shindai.com
Quote:
Garrett Fuller (fullerfury) wrote:
Happy new year. I have been in martial arts for some time and am interested in improving my weapons technique, particularly sword work. I have decided to begin Iaido study this year and am wondering what folks who have studied both Aikido and Iaido think about it's affect on Aikido training?

Thanks,

Garrett

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com