Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2001, 09:56 AM   #51
AikidoSteve
Dojo: Foothills Aikido, Evergreen, Colorado
United_States
I have read about a seminar given by a man named Pat Malone, who has been a body guard. He works for the FBI, and teaches police officers and Navy SEALS hand-to-hand combat.

Here are some of his thoughts on being accosted by someone with a firearm. Please note that the presentation I was reading about, was meant for the standard non-martial arts female. Though his advice, I'm sure, can be a benefit for anyone. He states:

If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN!

(a.) Police only make 4 of 10 shots when they are in range of 3-9 feet. This is due to stress.

(b.) The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. SO RUN!

One of his main points during his presentation was "one needs to be aware of one's surroundings". Which is good advice as well.

A side note:
A U.S. author named Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain wrote, "There are liars, damn liars and statisticians". With that in mind, I feel it important to note that folks will at times do better to look at original data in an effort in make informed decisions. Data that has been massaged by this "cause" or that "cause" can sometimes become misleading in an effort to lend support to a predetermined conclusion. The issues/statistics involving gun control in the USA are riddle with skewed data. I am inclined to believe the above numbers of 4 of 10 and 4 in 100. I have not confirmed the raw data but, as a person who participates in competitive shooting sports, I know how the lack of concentration and focus will affect one's final score (can't hit the target). Stress and distractions are not positive attributes to have to deal with when shooting.

Yours in Aikihood

Steve Nelson
Confront the enemy with the point of your sword against his face.
-Miyamoto Musashi, "A Book of Five Rings"