Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
chris87
England
any aikijujutsu clubs near sheffield south yorkshire

Hi guys ive been training in shotokan karate for 17 years now and ive always wanted to do aikijujutsu for somentime now but im struggling to find a club in my area just wondering if someone could give me some pointers though there is a iwama ryu aikido club just opened about 10 mins away from me is this similar to aikijujutsu? if it is i might pop up and give it a try
Many thanks
Chris
Old 09-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Re: any aikijujutsu clubs near sheffield south yorkshire

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
Hi guys ive been training in shotokan karate for 17 years now and ive always wanted to do aikijujutsu for somentime now but im struggling to find a club in my area just wondering if someone could give me some pointers though there is a iwama ryu aikido club just opened about 10 mins away from me is this similar to aikijujutsu? if it is i might pop up and give it a try
Many thanks
Chris
In daito ryu aikijujutsu, there are three levels taught, jujutsu, aikijujutsu and aiki no jutsu.

jujutsu uses large movements, atemi and strong joint techniques, Aikijujutsu uses smaller movements and more intricate pins utilising sensitivity. Aiki no jujtsu uses minimal movement and very deep body usage to effect kuzushii and maintain aiki on the uke.

It depends on your instructor, but Iwama style is close to aikijujutsu when it is well done, jujutsu at the beginning levels.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
chris87
England

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
In daito ryu aikijujutsu, there are three levels taught, jujutsu, aikijujutsu and aiki no jutsu.

jujutsu uses large movements, atemi and strong joint techniques, Aikijujutsu uses smaller movements and more intricate pins utilising sensitivity. Aiki no jujtsu uses minimal movement and very deep body usage to effect kuzushii and maintain aiki on the uke.

It depends on your instructor, but Iwama style is close to aikijujutsu when it is well done, jujutsu at the beginning levels.
Thanks for that mate think i will go and have a try see what it looks like ive done quite a bit of research on aikido and heard iwama is close to aikijujutsu initially i wanted to do aikijujutsu but ive looked everywhere for a club but i cant find one local just hope iwama ryu will be similar
Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I think I went there once and I thought they were good. Who is the teacher I wonder?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

http://www.hallamshireaikido.co.uk/

http://www.rotherhamaikido.co.uk/

try these guys?

Big Chris Walker in Rotherham started in Shotokan so may have some good insights to help your transition.

Regards

D
Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
chris87
England

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
http://www.hallamshireaikido.co.uk/

http://www.rotherhamaikido.co.uk/

try these guys?

Big Chris Walker in Rotherham started in Shotokan so may have some good insights to help your transition.

Regards

D
Hi daren thanks for your post have you trained with Chris if so I want to know if it's more of a martial aikido than acrobatics I've started training iwama ryu but the instructor is for too laid back for my liking and making the iwama ryu far too soft
Old 09-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
Hi daren thanks for your post have you trained with Chris if so I want to know if it's more of a martial aikido than acrobatics I've started training iwama ryu but the instructor is for too laid back for my liking and making the iwama ryu far too soft
yes I've trained with him..yes its more martial that aerobic.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

A ha - I remember now. It was the Hallamshire one I visited. They seemed pretty good to me, but oddly, not in the Hallamshire area - on the opposite side of town.