Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2002, 09:04 AM   #1
tlurie

Dojo: Kinokawa Mt. Airy
Thoughts on Free Dojo Website Design

Hi everyone.

I study Kinokawa Aikido in Maryland, and I also run a small web design business on the side, Level Six Design (http://www.levelsixdesign.com).

I would very much like to give back to the Aikido community that has given so much to me, and I am thinking about offering hosting and my services to dojos around the world for free (yes, gratis).

Here is how it would work - I would purchase a domain (I'm eyeing aikidodojos.com, as it is available) and set up the hosting. Once ready, I could dedicate subdomains (aikidodojos.com/yourdojoname) to dojos that would like a clean, professional, simple website. I would be happy to update the information on these sites now and again, as long as it didn't involve a massive time commitment on my part.

At this point, I'm mainly testing the waters and seeing what people think, if there would be a significant amount of interest, etc. Please give me whatever feedback you have, and if enough dojos would like, I will make this a reality. At that point, people could start submitting information/pictures to me and I would start creating sites.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Thad

"Leave your ego with your shoes: off the mats."
Old 03-12-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Thumbs down you are kind

You are very kind.
I will show your message to my friend who just opened her Dojo in Tel-Aviv (ISRAEL)

all the best,

Ze'ev

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 03-12-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Ai symbol

Hi Tlurie,

Just some food for thought.

I am an IT Consultant and I'm also responsible for all administrative work and teaching at my dojo. As a result, it took a VERY long time before I got the time to put up our website at a free hosting area.

The problem is I have to really set aside a chunk of time to update the website, otherwise it doesn't happen.

You're idea is great, but I don't think that your wish for a minimal time outlay is realistic, especially if the idea takes off and you have a few websites to deal with simultaneously.

May be better to offer the hosting, not necessarily the updating.

Just my thoughts.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 03-12-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Thoughts on Free Dojo Website Design

Quote:
Originally posted by tlurie

I would very much like to give back to the Aikido community that has given so much to me, and I am thinking about offering hosting and my services to dojos around the world for free (yes, gratis).
Great idea! I offer much the same for dojo in the association I belong to. I know the ASU does similar also.

The trick is in applying rudimentary content management. Otherwise, it gets out of hand.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 03-12-2002, 02:19 PM   #5
tlurie

Dojo: Kinokawa Mt. Airy
Thanks for the input so far.

My plan is to host this site through a provider I use for my business, thus cutting costs and also eliminating silly advertisement and popup issues.

Larry, thanks for the thoughts. I spend a lot of time working in the webworld, (at home and at work), so I'm not so worried about setting aside time - if I can make time to watch hockey, I can work while the game is on

Greg, I hear you. I have every intention of building a base content management system in ColdFusion and using that as the foundation for all the sites. If enough dojos are interested, I might also invest the time to develop content management tools so that the dojos can update the schedules/announcements themselves.

Thanks again, guys. The more input I get, the more effective my service will be.

Thad
Old 06-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Great idea Thad for those who do not have an existing site yet. But for those who already have existing sites, how about a link sorted by country? for Example if someone types" aikido iraq" your site will come to show a link to that aikido site in iraq - just a thought

Best regards
Mel
Old 08-28-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Waldir
Dojo: Cremona Dojo/Sao Paulo
Brazil

Hi Thad , i apriciate if you give me a hand on this matter .
I´m a part of small dojo in Brazil and would like to have a good website , with pictures , and all kind of information to our students .

How can i get your hep on this??

Thanks in advance .

Waldir