Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
This Is Only a Test
by The Mirror
07-24-2016
This Is Only a Test

This month's "The Mirror" column was written by Katherine Derbyshire © 2016, all rights reserved.
Your test will not be perfect.

It doesn't matter what rank you're testing for — sixth kyu, shodan, sandan — there's always more to learn. You may not master aikido in a lifetime; you certainly won't between now and your test date.

At my dojo, a number of people are testing for black belt ranks in a few months. There's a lot of preparation going on as people try to fix the imperfections in their aikido. Everyone is training with more-than-average intensity right now, even people who aren't testing.

That's a good thing. I'm among those who believe that the preparation process is as important as the test itself, that a period of intensive training teaches lessons that cannot be learned any other way. Train hard for six months or a year and you almost can't help but get better.

And yet you won't be perfect. At the end of the day, when it comes time to bow in for the test, none of the half-remembered suggestions from teachers and training partners matter. None of the things that you ran out of time to fix matter.

When asked, I suggest that people stop taking advice a few weeks before the test. Don't pepper instructors with questions, don't solicit feedback, just train. It's too late to change anything anyway. Rather, the test is about stepping forward and saying, "This is where I am. This is the best I can do today." Don't apologize for the mastery you haven't yet achieved, own the place where you are standing now.

We often talk about owning the center line, controlling the interaction with a partner. We talk about irimi, about entering without evading. Irimi is not just a Japanese word for a particular footwork pattern, though. It's a way of being, a state of mind. It applies on the mat, but also to giving a presentation at a business meeting or confronting an unhelpful contractor.

The real world doesn't care why you missed class last week. It doesn't care about the things you understand in your head but can't yet manifest in your body. It doesn't care about the mismatch between what your teacher does and what you can do.

A test is not the real world, but it's not normal training, either. There's nowhere to hide, nothing to do but step forward into the moment, into the place under the sword.

Ganbatte!
"The Mirror" is written by a roster of women who describe themselves as a disparate bunch of scientists, healers, artists, teachers, and, yes, writers. Over ten years into this collaboration we find we are a bunch of middle-aged yudansha from various parts of the world and styles of aikido. What we share is a lively curiosity about and love for both life and budo, and an inveterate tendency to write about our explorations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf themirror_2016_06.pdf (379.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: This Is Only a Test

I absolutely love this essay. Thank you, Katherine.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

I shared this one on our college aikido club's FB page. Thanks, Katherine.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Published the day after my test. What timing! Good article.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

Nice article, thank you. Also, congratulations to Robin; was that for Sandan?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
Nice article, thank you. Also, congratulations to Robin; was that for Sandan?
Yep
Old 08-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
akiy

Editor's note: I have moved the posts regarding Yuishinkai Yudansha Testing Protocols to this new thread:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24928

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Thanks Jun,

Sorry to spam this thread. After a few posts, we took the conversation to PMs.

Robin

Comment