Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark
Which books to buy? (Yoshinkan)

I have a quick little question here:

I'm finally starting next week, and thought that a little textbook might come in handy between practice, to remember the various techniques, stances, and so forth.

But oh, which book?!

I've found three solid ones, but the problem is that they are all pretty much described the same way: "Great for beginners, shows basic techniques". So I'm hoping that maybe someone here have already read some of them, and could give a pointer on to which one is best for the newbie?

(all by Gozo Shioda)

Aikido: The Complete Basic Techniques
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-The-C.../dp/4770030193

Total Aikido: The Master Course
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Aikido...dp/4770020589/

Dynamic Aikido
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Aiki.../dp/0870113011

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States
Re: Which books to buy? (Yoshinkan)

buy books or videos that are in line with how techniques are done at the school you're attending.

ask them
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
TokyoZeplin
Denmark

Quote:
Toby Kasavan wrote: View Post
buy books or videos that are in line with how techniques are done at the school you're attending.

ask them
My school sells all those books, and a few more. Obviously I can ask when I start, but since some delivery time might be there, I thought it would be nice to buy one ahead of time
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Adam Huss

United_States

I've read all those books. I don't really remember them well enough to tell you which is best for you. I will say that it depends greatly on the organization you belong to. The movements contained within those books vary in their appropriateness depending on whose lineage you belong; Kushida, Chino, Mustard, Takeno, Ando, Parker, Inoue, etc. I really couldn't tell you which books are closer to which teacher's syllabi. I actually find very little interest in technical books these days. With youtube so prevalent its pretty easy to actually see some of these techniques vice looking at photo clips. If you are interested, I would highly recommend reading non-tehcnical books, such as Aikido Shugyo (G Shioda), Angry White Pyjamas, Zen and the Art of Archery, or an assortment of Dave Lowry works (Prob start with In the Dojo, or Autumn Lightning). As previously suggested, you could identify your interest in off the mat learning to your senpai and sensei. They would likely be excited in your interest of this and offer recommendations or lend you books/dvds. Currently I have two DVDs and a three books lent out to a new student, and was happy to do so.

Good luck, and glad to hear of your interest in aikido Yoshinkan!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

I recommend Total Aikido to all my students. I like the way it is laid out.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

I recommend Aikido Shugyo by Shioda Gozo.

I myself don't think technical books to be helpfull for a beginner. Because what you train in the dōjō will allways be different - at least in some details - from what you find in a technical book. Those books can be really interesting or even helpfull when you know what to look for and how to judge what you are told.

I think, Aikido Shugyo helps to get a feeling of where you train and in what spirit you will train. Reading about the founder of a style gives an impression and it directs one's view in a similar direction like other practioners of the style may have.

... maybe ...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
TokyoZeplin
Denmark

Already read Aikido Shugyo, it is indeed an absolutely fantastic book

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
I recommend Total Aikido to all my students. I like the way it is laid out.
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

how's about "the unfettered mind" by Takuan Soho?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
TokyoZeplin
Denmark

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
how's about "the unfettered mind" by Takuan Soho?
With all due respect, the reason I specifically asked about those books, was because I was specifically interested in those books I already have books on Zen, budo, the more philosophical aspects of Aikido, a couple of "Aikido for beginners" type books, both new and old. But as noted, I was looking for something specifically to help me remember techniques between practice (hence also only Yoshinkan books, as it is Yoshinkan Aikido, and I know my dojo also sells those books).

Thanks for the recommendation though.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote: View Post
With all due respect, the reason I specifically asked about those books, was because I was specifically interested in those books I already have books on Zen, budo, the more philosophical aspects of Aikido, a couple of "Aikido for beginners" type books, both new and old. But as noted, I was looking for something specifically to help me remember techniques between practice (hence also only Yoshinkan books, as it is Yoshinkan Aikido, and I know my dojo also sells those books).

Thanks for the recommendation though.
In that case, I will definitely second Miranda Sensei's recommendation of Total Aikido: Masters Course. Its not just an aikido picture book, as it contains detailed explanations accompanied to the subjects discussed, introductions to techniques and ideas, and "important points" section for techniques.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
TokyoZeplin
Denmark

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
In that case, I will definitely second Miranda Sensei's recommendation of Total Aikido: Masters Course. Its not just an aikido picture book, as it contains detailed explanations accompanied to the subjects discussed, introductions to techniques and ideas, and "important points" section for techniques.
Thanks! Reviews seem great!
I was just a bit confused as to which of the books to go for, as the description is pretty much the same for all of them
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

All three books essentially cover the same intormation. You will however see slight variations due to when the books were published.

Dynamic Aikido was the first one in English as I recall and came out around 1968. You'll see Terada Sensei taking ukemi for Shioda Gozo Kancho, as well as Inoue Sensei and Kushida Sensei.

Total Aikido was an update that came out in the mid-80's. Around 1986.

The last one was put out by Yasuhisa Shioda Sensei and contains material from Dynamic Aikido and his own take. There may be some additional techniques a well. I'd have to compare.

I own all three as well as the two volume set Inoue Sensei put out when he was Kancho. Personally, I like the way Total Aikido flows. Some of the people in the book are still active Yoshinkan Aikido instructors a well as newly minted Yoshinkan HQ dojocho. So it represents more what you'll be practicing.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them if you're looking for something to reference when you're not on the mat.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

I know you asked about books but.... you might find this more instructive:
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...89&cat=&page=2
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Thanks! Reviews seem great!
I was just a bit confused as to which of the books to go for, as the description is pretty much the same for all of them
Sounds like you'll probably own them all eventually...but that one is a great starting point!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I recommend Aikido Shugyo by Shioda Gozo.
The translator of "Aikido Shugyo" has just published Gozo Shioda's follow up book "Aikido Jinsei". Also a fantastic read, it should be pretty high on the must read list of any aikidoka.

http://shindokanbooks.com/products.shtml

Michael

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #16
TokyoZeplin
Denmark

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
I know you asked about books but.... you might find this more instructive:
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...89&cat=&page=2
Thanks for the link anyway! Didn't realize there were some quality DVD material out there. Had looked, but hadn't found anything that seemed overly trustworthy (for what I was looking for). And it's so difficult finding Yoshinkan stuff ._.'

Quote:
Michael Kimeda wrote: View Post
The translator of "Aikido Shugyo" has just published Gozo Shioda's follow up book "Aikido Jinsei". Also a fantastic read, it should be pretty high on the must read list of any aikidoka.

http://shindokanbooks.com/products.shtml

Michael
Interesting! But I'm a little confused, aren't the upcoming "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" the same? That's released in November if I'm not mistaken...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiri.../dp/1568364113
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Quote:
Thanks for the link anyway! Didn't realize there were some quality DVD material out there. Had looked, but hadn't found anything that seemed overly trustworthy (for what I was looking for). And it's so difficult finding Yoshinkan stuff ._.'

Interesting! But I'm a little confused, aren't the upcoming "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" the same? That's released in November if I'm not mistaken...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiri.../dp/1568364113
I believe that "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey" is based on Aikido Shugyo, which was published in English by Shindokan books several years ago. The new book, Aikido Jinsei, is a different book.

http://shindokanbooks.com/

EXCELLENT DVDs are published by Quest from Japan. Their website leaves something to be desired, but they have some great DVDs. Some are dubbed in English (some by Robert Mustard) and other are only in Japanese. The shops on the net are reselling the Quest stuff.

http://www.queststation.com/quest-e/e_aikido.html

--
Michael Kimeda