Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
chillzATL
United_States
Tohei's resignation letter to the aikikai

There have been quite a few people wanting to see this over the years. Stan has just made it available to subscribers on aikidojournal.com.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Tohei's resignation letter to the aikikai

A friend of mine had, or has a copy stored away "in a box somewhere" and has told several of us about the contents. It was a shock today to see it published on AJ. While many of those named have passed on, there are still a couple around that probably won't be happy to see it again. Stan Pranin is a treasure as a historian of aikido.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Autrelle Holland

Agreed. Surely there is some more open discussion about this somewhere.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

I was taken aback at first to see that it was only available to subscribers, which might imply a sort of ownership. But on reflection its a way of supporting a historian, and not releasing the document into the public domain at the same time?

dan

Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Any chance of someone telling us non-subscribers what it says...?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Any chance of someone telling us non-subscribers what it says...?
Drop some coin and subscribe - there is a wealth of knowledge on the site that all aikidoka could benefit from.

Greg
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Autrelle Holland

Email me if you want to see it for yourself.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Drop some coin and subscribe - there is a wealth of knowledge on the site that all aikidoka could benefit from.

Greg
Ha. I wish I could; turns out being a philosophy graduate isn't such a good idea under a conservative government: i'm unemployed.

I hope things are good in the promised land.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Our philosophy majors here all cite the same mantra: "Do you want fries with that?"

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Ha. I wish I could; turns out being a philosophy graduate isn't such a good idea under a conservative government: i'm unemployed.

I hope things are good in the promised land.
You can subscribe for a year for less than $3 per month. Anybody can skip one meal a month if they really want the information, and it supports somebody who has revolutionized the way that Aikido history is presented and understood.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
crbateman

If you are already a paid subscriber to the AJ regular site, then there is a link there to have your membership transferred to the new pay site.

Stan has made this new venture a pay site because he intends to put the bulk of his lifetime's work and wealth of Aikido and Daito-Ryu information (interviews, articles, photos, etc.) on that site. It is an incredible amount of work that will take years to catalog and post, but Stan wants to make sure that this irreplaceable material will survive him and be available to us in some durable fashion, so he has dedicated himself to this enormous task. The paid memberships will enable him to offset the cost of the doing.

I urge everybody who has the means to support him in this fashion, because there is history there, and many of us would never know these things about Aikido without this resource.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Autrelle Holland

Exactly. Often he'll package membership with a DVD or book at a discounted rate for both. Remember that Tohei intended this to be an open letter. Those that do not want to see this letter back out in the wild, well, they have their reasons, one way or the other. On one hand, it is the genuine wish to not provoke any negative backlash: remember that this is Tohei telling the world exactly why he forever split from the Aikkai. For others, the content of this letter is accusatory and embarrassing: remember that this is Tohei telling the world exactly why he forever split from the Aikkai.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Autrelle Holland wrote: View Post
Exactly. Often he'll package membership with a DVD or book at a discounted rate for both. Remember that Tohei intended this to be an open letter. Those that do not want to see this letter back out in the wild, well, they have their reasons, one way or the other. On one hand, it is the genuine wish to not provoke any negative backlash: remember that this is Tohei telling the world exactly why he forever split from the Aikkai. For others, the content of this letter is accusatory and embarrassing: remember that this is Tohei telling the world exactly why he forever split from the Aikkai.
Yes it is - it does shed some in the american aikido group in somewhat of a bad light -

Greg
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Yes it is - it does shed some in the american aikido group in somewhat of a bad light -

Greg
There was another letter too - written in response. I wonder if that one's coming down the line...

There are also a lot of interesting side currents that never got into the letters - they hardly tell the whole story.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Autrelle Holland

Quote:

Greg
That's putting it lightly. I say that because I highly doubt that, in such a short time after O'Sensei passed, that something like that would have happened while he was alive. Well, perhaps I can't say that one way or the other, I just like to think that these figureheads of Aikido were actiing in a manner consistent with the respect that should be shown to the Founder for giving us Aikido.

When my full and open statement about how the information in this letter has trickled down to current day status quo between organizations, and it will, I'm sure to catch heck for it. This stuff is crazy.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
There was another letter too - written in response. I wonder if that one's coming down the line...

There are also a lot of interesting side currents that never got into the letters - they hardly tell the whole story.

Best,

Chris
When I joined the Ki Society back in 1976 with the Marianas Aiki Kwai in Guam (which was a sub group of the Hawaii Aiki Kwai) the official reason given for the split was that Honbu did not teach ki and would not allow Tohei to teach it as well. Looking at it all today, it appears that that was mostly just the front cover story. If you look at the books by Kisshomaru before the split, you will see that they talk about ki as much as Tohei did.

IMO, the real underlying reason for the split was simply ego, politics, and other unsavory stuff that boils up out of organizations from time to time and that there was fault on both sides.

Greg

Last edited by gregstec : 09-17-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:

Best,

Chris
You mean the letter written by Abe Tadashi? He makes Tohei look mild by comparison. I doubt whether either side would like to see that republished.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:

Best,

Chris
He does have that one as well, so I hope it gets posted too.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
You mean the letter written by Abe Tadashi? He makes Tohei look mild by comparison. I doubt whether either side would like to see that republished.

Best wishes,

PAG
I don't doubt it - but it may as well all come out at this point.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
When I joined the Ki Society back in 1976 with the Marianas Aiki Kwai in Guam (which was a sub group of the Hawaii Aiki Kwai) the official reason given for the split was that Honbu did not teach ki and would not allow Tohei to teach it as well. Looking at it all today, it appears that that was mostly just the front cover story. If you look at the books by Kisshomaru before the split, you will see that they talk about ki as much as Tohei did.

IMO, the real underlying reason for the split was simply ego, politics, and other unsavory stuff that boils up out of organizations from time to time and that there was fault on both sides.

Greg
Of course. But I have to say - the letter is interesting to see again, but is it really news to anyone?

I think the Mitose thread, where Koichi Tohei awarded James Mitose a 10th dan in 1970 (years before he actually left hombu), in order to fund his departure from the Aikikai, has much more soap opera potential.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
Autrelle Holland

Quote:

Greg
I HAVE Yamada's book which contains an introduction from Tohei gives him praise as his "Master Instructor" and all of the techniques are "Tohei-Waza."
Old 09-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Autrelle Holland wrote: View Post
I HAVE Yamada's book which contains an introduction from Tohei gives him praise as his "Master Instructor" and all of the techniques are "Tohei-Waza."
I understand that Yamada was one of Tohei's favorite ukes when he traveled the US in the 60's.

Greg
Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Autrelle Holland

Quote:
I understand that Yamada was one of Tohei's favorite ukes when he traveled the US in the 60's.

Greg
I believe he teaches Tohei's 50 basic arts in the book, and demonstrates ki exercises as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:

Greg
On this occasion, for instance?

Alex
Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
On this occasion, for instance?

Alex