Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #76
abraxis

United_States
Re: Aikido and Music

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
....There is a beautiful movie"Take the lead" the real story of the ballroom dance teacher Pierre Dulaine, who teaches respect, compassion and learn to control their own lifes to disadvantaged children http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Dulaine
And I'm sure that we could apply this to aikido too.
Hi Carina,
Here you see it being applied in NYC public schools
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wEb...eature=related
Regards
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #77
abraxis

United_States
Aikido and Music

Surfing a bit on the web I just now found a different view of why aikido is traditionally practiced in silence. I am not a Far East Asian History scholar and will not try to judge the accuracy of the statements made but they are probably worth exploring. The link to the source article follows the quote.

"After the end of the war, during GHQ occupation of Japan, the military police could find little to complain about during a visit to Iwama. Deep in the countryside, surrounded by chestnut trees, suwariwaza (kneeling techniques) was practiced at the Iwama dojo. If anything, to the GHQ it looked like a strange local dance more than it did a martial art form. Secretly Ueshiba and his students practiced suburi (weapons training) using hoe handles for bokken and ladle handles for jos. Stored in the farming tool sheds, the handles did not look like anything used for the practice of a martial art. This practice became the origin of Iwama style Aikido. During this time at Iwama, the Founder's open-hand Aikido practice was always a silent practice. Usually the practice was held on wooden floors, which were too hard to hit or land hard on. Even if practicing on tatami, no kiai were allowed. For the rest of his life, the Founder continued practice at Iwama in this fashion."

http://www.nippon-kan.org/ahan/journey_to_ahan.html

Last edited by abraxis : 05-17-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #78
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
A quick search found this one that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulc5...eature=related

dps
Thanks David, I really loved it, and I did not know this music yet. Of course, it's rather energetic, not like those that Sensei usually chooses for the classes. This one would fit better with a Karate class, but my Karate instructor did not believe in using music for his classes.
We're trying to convince him - my Karate instructor - to reopen the school, after the instructor who took over after him died during the earthquake. In fact, I remember that we received one day a visit from an instructor from New York - also deceased, from cancer - who told us he liked to animate his classes with drum musics. The guy was actually born in Haiti, so I suppose that his roots had something to do with his way of teaching.
Anyway, the martial arts are evolving just like everything else. You can transport a tradition from one country to another, but you cannot keep the locals from adding their own flavor to the stuff.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #79
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
Surfing a bit on the web I just now found a different view of why aikido is traditionally practiced in silence. I am not a Far East Asian History scholar and will not try to judge the accuracy of the statements made but they are probably worth exploring. The link to the source article follows the quote.

http://www.nippon-kan.org/ahan/journey_to_ahan.html
Very interesting, thank you! One other possible factor I can think of would have to do with Iwama having a shrine, which is generally somewhat austere. "Shrine music" tends to have a quiet (though piercing) intensity, in my opinion, and is probably only for matsuri or other formal events.
I think this quiet intensity is a common theme in Japanese culture.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #80
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Ahem...

From Homma Sensei article Rudy has just linked.
Quote:
This practice became the origin of Iwama style Aikido. During this time at Iwama, the Founder's open-hand Aikido practice was always a silent practice. Usually the practice was held on wooden floors, which were too hard to hit or land hard on. Even if practicing on tatami, no kiai were allowed. For the rest of his life, the Founder continued practice at Iwama in this fashion.
Who can explain me why there are the sounds of kiai heard here (starting at 3:50), here (starting at 2:35), here (starting at 5:08 and continuing here, or here (big kiai of O Sensei at 3:35). Kiai heard both in empty hands and weapons practise.

That's the Iwama dojo in the early 60's, isn't it?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #81
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I use music alot to teach randori. The fun part is when I pull the plug, or turn it off, everyone has to freeze in whatever position they are in. Uke and Tori (nage) are NOT allowed to adjust. Nage, from whatever position he is in, must do a technique---throw, choke, takedown etc from his frozen position. Harder than you think and they have to think of a technique to do. They do get stumpted alot but they are getting better at it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #82
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Ahem...
From Homma Sensei article Rudy has just linked.
Who can explain me why there are the sounds of kiai heard here (starting at 3:50), here (starting at 2:35), here (starting at 5:08 and continuing here, or here (big kiai of O Sensei at 3:35). Kiai heard both in empty hands and weapons practise.
That's the Iwama dojo in the early 60's, isn't it?
Maybe Homma Sensei can. His contact info is found at

http://www.nippon-kan.org/info_contact/info.html

Please let us know what he has to say.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #83
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Sorry, but I'm not going to ask him. It could be seen as disrespectful and politically/agenda driven. Questioning aikido masters' words of is a no-no.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #84
abraxis

United_States

I followed up on David Soroko's advice
Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
...You can contact Miles Kessler Sensei (http://www.ai-ki-do.org/Dojocho/Spot.../MKessler.html) with your other questions.
and have received Kessler Sensei's e-mail which is quoted here in its entirety. My sincere thanks to David for his advice and to Kessler Sensei for his kind reply which I'm sure will prove to be of great interest to readers of this thread.
________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

Hi Rudy,

Yes to all of your questions. When applied properly music can be a wonderful supplement to training. I use it primarily in "jiyu waza" and we find that the rhythm helps people to let go of the technical forms and into the flow. We have an "Aikido Jam" once a week and it is a nice balance to the technical classes. Not everyone is interested in aikido with music so they usually stick to the technical classes. But I must say, it is my direct experience that the students that integrate the tech training with the jams have a much more rounded out training than those who don't. The Jams are designed to relax the body, the mind, and especially the forms of aikido. The students who don't participate in the jams tend to me more stuck in their practice in areas of freedom outside the form, free movement, flow, and spontaneous response. I also find that the jams cultivate more open mindedness.

There are so many things to speak about (such as the conditions, the flow cycle of a class, types of music, specific exercises, jam themes, movement and stillness, and the value of silence, etc.) but I'll keep it brief here.

If you are ever in Tel Aviv you are very welcome to join in.

Best regards,

Miles Kessler
Aikido Sensei, Dharma Teacher, Director - The Integral Dojo
"Changing The Way We See The World"
Office +972-(0)3-562-4164
www.theintegraldojo.com

Last edited by abraxis : 05-18-2011 at 12:02 AM.