Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-09-2002, 02:47 AM   #1
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
Philippine ranking and other stories

In the Philippines, at least in the Dojo that started Aikido in the Philippines, (Circa 1962, by Sensei Galarpe, now based in Guam)Aikikai Philippines and its students that started their own school, the ranking system being followed is as follows:

BELTS
White belt - 5th Kyu
Purple - 4th Kyu
Green - 3rd Kyu
Blue - 2nd Kyu
Brown - 1st Kyu
Black - NOT SHODAN
BLACK - Shodan 1st Dan
So on and so forth.

The questions here are these:

Isn't BLACK BELT normally is SHODAN?
What then is the rank of their black belt?
Is there a similar ranking anywhere?

Some other DOJO's in the Philippines does not follow this system. Only the students from the original DOJO adapted the ranking system.

Also on the same Dojo, once a student reached black belt they are no longer required to pay the monthly dues but they are however EXPECTED to help in teaching new students. In the absence of the Kaicho the senior black belt is expected to TEACH together with the other black belts. Hence a black belt is always referred to as SENSEI( READ: ALL BLACK BELTS). A black belt may also be assigned to other branches of the DOJO should there be vacancies or new branches. Fees will be to the Kaicho only allowances will be given to the Sensei heading the branch. Yet some black belts are not yet SHODAN (others are Shodan and above though). Its not uncommon to to see someone who has been black belt for three years (plus three years of KYU ranking) yet not being a SHODAN. Only black belt.

What am I rattling about? Nothing, just sharing with you the practices here. It may sound weird to some though.

Opinions, inquiries and replies are welcome.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:54 AM   #2
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
hi aries,

hmm...in our dojo all our black belts are all yudansha holders and we have 6 kyu levels (I think this is pretty much the case with other dojos)

6th Kyu = Junior White
5th Kyu = Senior White
4th Kyu = Junior Blue
3th Kyu = Senior Blue
2nd Kyu = Junior Brown
1st Kyu = Senior Brown
Black = Shodan, Nidan, etc...

this is the first time i've heard of the BLACK - NOT SHODAN ranking, is your school teaching TRADITIONAL or COMBAT AIKIDO?

well about the 'teaching' thing, that doesn't happen in our dojo and i guess there isn't much anyone could do about it 'cuz that is the system they adopted to follow right?

regards,

adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 07-09-2002, 04:19 AM   #3
aries admin
TRADITIONAL AIKIDO

Hi Adrian:

Philippine Aikikai and Aikikai Philippines are traditional Aikido DOJO. The school started Aikido in the Philippines circa 1962. Founded by Galarpe now based in GUAM, the Kaicho's are Shihan Omar Camar 8th Dan and Sensei Tony Deprisa 4th Dan respectively. Phil. Aikikai is Quiapo and Aikikai Phil is in Makati.

If you are old enough to have watched old Filipino ACTION movies that features martial arts, you would have noticed someone in HAKAMA doing AIKIDO moves. That is OMAR CAMAR if there's two chances are the other one is Tony Deprisa.

Aside from your black belts being SHODAN, are all black belts referred to as SENSEI? Or they are called some other titles like SEMPAI?
Old 07-09-2002, 08:19 AM   #4
drDalek

Where I practice we have only 2 belts, kyu grades are white and dan grades are black + hakama.

I think that this is the way that the majority of dojos adopted. Different colored belts at different levels might be useful to the sensei to quickly identify the people who are at different skill levels in a large crowded dojo.

Down here though its usually me and about 5 other regulars and the sensei plus 2 or 3 newbies that come to "see if it suits them" every now and again - thus no need for coloured belts.

Infact, in our dojo, gradings are absolutely meaningless. There are 5th kyu's who are miles better than 3rd kyu's and the reason for this is that they were unable to take the time off work to travel to the place where you go to grade infront of the the federation instructors / judges.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:27 AM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by drDalek
Different colored belts at different levels might be useful to the sensei to quickly identify the people who are at different skill levels in a large crowded dojo.
We have a fairly large dojo with upwards of forty to fifty people showing up at some of our evening classes. We only have white and black belts with anyone being able to wear a hakama at any time that they wish regardless of rank. I don't think my teacher really has any problem identifying the different skill levels in the class as I'm sure he can just watch for a few seconds and tell...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:38 AM   #6
drDalek

Combat Aikido? whats that? do they put emphasis on atemi and opening your uke up during a technique for atemi?

Then I must be doing Combat Aikido as well because sensei likes to slap me upside the head during a technique if I forget to keep my hand up to protect my face
Old 07-09-2002, 06:22 PM   #7
adriangan

Philippines
hi aries,

yup i've heard of Omar Camar and his dojo in quiapo. but AFAIK he originally taught combat aikido like mr. gavilleno, right?

and no, we only refer to the one handling the class as sensei, otherwise i call them sempai.

anyway for those reading this post, combat aikido (i think) is a system developed by one of the senior aikidokas here, mr. gavilleno i think was part of the first few batches when aikido started in the philippines, i think it's mainly a combination of aikido and street fighting (or something like that)
unfortunately, i dont know why he branched out and developed his own school and i don't know if he's still affiliated with aikikai hombu.

regards,

adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 07-10-2002, 02:08 AM   #8
aries admin
COMBAT AIKIDO NOT AIKIKAI AIKIDO

Allow me to share with you what I know about History of Aikido in the Philippines.

Let's start with GALARPE the person who introduce AIKIDO in the Philippines:

Benjamin G. Galarpe, Sr. is the "Kaicho" of
the School of Self-Defense. He began his life of Aikido in Hawaii, 1957 where he was stationed for the US military less than one ear after Aikido was introduced in the Asian pacific by Harry S. Ito. For nearly five years, Benjamin Galarpe was given the chance to earn his black belt in Japan. Upon receiving his belt, and a strong recommendation from Sensei Ito, Galarpe was sent by Japan's World Aikido Hombu as a representative to propagate Aikido in the Philippines. There he introduced Aikido, from which his accomplishments include the organizations from Aikido Clubs in Cebu, Manila, Quezon City, and Quiapo. He retuned to Japan in 1965 to receive his Nidan (2nd dan) from the founder of Aikido, Morihei Uyeshiba before his death in 1969. In 1968, he received his Sandan (3rd dan) under Koichi Tohei. After five years in the Philippines, Galarpe decided to come back to GUAM.

When he returned to GUAM his two most SENIOR students OMAR CAMAR and TONY DEPRISA were given the responsibilty of Philippine territory. Omar Camar being the most senior inherited the SCHOOL which became Philippine AIKIKAI.

For the RECORD GAVILLENO, the founder of COMBAT AIKIDO is not in ANYWAY CONNECTED with this DOJO. Combat aikido now known as TAPONDO before was known as BOKAIDO short for BOXING,KARATE and Aikido, this was in the 70's. Late 70's or Circa 80's it was renamed Combat Aikido. Late 90's renamed TAPONDO.
Once Tony Deprisa Sensei lectured about it during one demo where both was invited. Tony Sensei, mentioned that Combat AIkido is a paradox. Basing it on the principles of Aikido the term is a PARADOX. Aikido is the way of harmony there is no combat in there. C. Aikido is offensive. Traditional Aikido is not.

Omar Camar and T. Deprisa has no connection to Combat AIkido and has not taught and WILL NEVER teach Combat AIkido.Consider this the two being the most senior how could have Gavilenno founded C. Aikido if the two taught C. Aikido before? Get my point?

These TWO had been and always will be AIKIKAI AIKIDO.

BTW, go to the web site of combat Aikido and you will notice several descrepancies in Gavillenos story. Story like Galarpe and him studying Aikido together when Galarpe was still with a 1st Kyu. The year he claims this, Galarpe was in GUAM. Go figure.

Hey maybe we can practice together sometime nice to hear from someone near.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:31 PM   #9
JPT
Dojo: trad
Combat Aikido

I trained with the Combat Aikido boys for about a year & a half. The main difference to traditional aikido is that the striking attacks are a lot faster and have more intent (i.e. on target & not holding much back, especially during gradings and at the higher belt levels). They pratise alot of one on one randori from different types of attacks, Boxing (attacker wearing gloves), Stick (padded arnis stick), kicking & knife (wooden knife). The techniques are basically the same perhaps a little more direct. Yes there are elements of other martial arts (arnis, jujitsu etc..) but the core stuff is definately Aikido. They normally have a yearly competition, each contestant is marked by a panel and the person with the highest score is crowned the champion. The blackbelt event is unarmed randori 1 against 4.
I believe that Master Gavileno was graded 2nd dan in the Aikikia (1968) before setting up on his own shortly after.
Regarding the name Tapondo, They changed it around December 2000 as the education authorities wouldn't allow or sponser them as part of the PE curriculum under the name Combat Aikido.
If I had to define it I would say that it was a hard style of Aikido. Anyway I enjoyed it, learnt alot and made some good friends.

Last edited by JPT : 07-10-2002 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
adriangan

Philippines
Re: COMBAT AIKIDO NOT AIKIKAI AIKIDO

Quote:
Originally posted by aries admin
Hey maybe we can practice together sometime nice to hear from someone near.
hey aries,

yeah sure, just drop by our dojo in galleria. as i recall we've had a couple of students of Omar Camar who visited and practiced with us a few times, i forgot their names but as i recall they were both black belts.

Quote:
If I had to define it I would say that it was a hard style of Aikido. Anyway I enjoyed it, learnt alot and made some good friends.
hi jay,

glad to hear you enjoyed it, actually all the yudansha in our dojo actually started off under mr. gavileno, and after they got their black belt in combat aikido they then earned their yudansha in traditional aikido. and everything you said does match up to everything they've told me

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 07-10-2002, 06:15 PM   #11
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
Galarpe Sensei

I lived in Guam for a number of years and while I was there I trained under Ben Galarpe sensei and I received my BlackBelt from him. His Aikido is technically very similar to the way Ki society does their techniques however his style is much harder. He is tall (at 6' or so) for I filipeno (SP?) and his style. takes advantage of that. I have never met anyone who did Sankyo quite like him, brutal is putting it mildly, and yet he was in no way hard on his students. Overall his aikido is very fluid but with a very hard/intense flavor.

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go
Old 05-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
LawrenceBrindisi
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines
Re: Visitors

yup... i believe i am one of the visitors you mentioned. what year was that anyways?

but now i believe your dojo's closed? where have you moved? you may contact me through this # 09192806934

[quote=Adrian Gan]hey aries,

yeah sure, just drop by our dojo in galleria. as i recall we've had a couple of students of Omar Camar who visited and practiced with us a few times, i forgot their names but as i recall they were both black belts.

Last edited by LawrenceBrindisi : 05-16-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 05-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Philippine ranking and other stories

As far as the black belt not being a shodan, I have seen in some styles of martial arts a "shodan-ho." It is sort of a preliminary or probationary black belt in between the highest kyu rank and 1st dan. I haven't seen this in aikido, though, until now.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #14
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I think they have that 'shodan-ho' idea in Thailand too. Not sure I understand it myself. It seems to be black belt but without hakama. Maybe they have to wait a while. Or maybe they have to wait until they get their certificate (it can take a while).

So, what is the criteria to move up to a 'genuine' BB? Time? Another grading?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 AM   #15
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
So, what is the criteria to move up to a 'genuine' BB? Time? Another grading?
Rupert,

In Thailand, the criteria I heard is the Aikikai grading fees.

Shodan-ho = probationary shodan

In some karate systems/organizations, they do have this probationary thingy for students who did not get full marks in shodan test.

Best

David Y
Old 05-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #16
Beholder

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
Rupert,

In Thailand, the criteria I heard is the Aikikai grading fees.

David Y
Actually I don't bellieve that's quite right -- it's not to do with the fees or waiting for the certificate. At the gradings at Renukan (the Thai aikikai HQ dojo), shodan-ho is a separate test from shodan. It's just another rank before shodan, and is (as Rupert says) signified by a black belt with no hakama.

Yours
Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Dave Whiteland wrote:
Actually I don't bellieve that's quite right -- it's not to do with the fees or waiting for the certificate. At the gradings at Renukan (the Thai aikikai HQ dojo), shodan-ho is a separate test from shodan. It's just another rank before shodan, and is (as Rupert says) signified by a black belt with no hakama.

Yours
Dave
Thanks for the info, Dave.

Look at this way: What is the intent of this rank/test? Why can't a student directly grade for shodan after the 1st kyu?

At a seminar in Bangkok a couple of years ago, a friend of mine observed that there were quite a number of Thai black belts without hakama. A senior instructor did mention the fees factor. I am not surprised that in developing countries (Malaysia included) quite a number experienced aikido practitioners choose not to grade after shodan or nidan unless they are professionally motivated to do so. In some international martial bodies (karate in particular), yudansha grading & registration fees are tabulated by developed countries, developing countries and 3rd world countries based on UN criteria.

It would be great if someone can provide some information regarding yudansha grading fees of the respective international Aikido bodies for comparison.

Best

David Y

Last edited by David Yap : 05-17-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #18
Charlie

From Yoshinkan honbu...

http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org/cont...nguage=english

I don't know if it is stipulated on the page that I am referencing but they do make exceptions for "developing" countries

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #19
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

ours goes like this
5th kyu -first degree blue
4th kyu-2nd degree blue
3rd kyu- 1st degree brown
2nd kyu- 2nd degree brown
1st kyu- 3rd degree brown
shodan - black and so on

childrens classes have yellow for 7th kyu and orange for 6th kyu
Old 05-23-2005, 12:24 AM   #20
adriangan

Philippines
Re: Visitors

[quote=Lawrence Brindisi]yup... i believe i am one of the visitors you mentioned. what year was that anyways?

but now i believe your dojo's closed? where have you moved? you may contact me through this # 09192806934

Hello Lawrence,

We now train at the University of Asia and the Pacific Gym, in Pearl drive, Pasig city. you can check out our schedule at

http://www.geocities.com/jitsuyobugei

Regards,

Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 05-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #21
Ritchie Martinez
Dojo: Makiling Aikido International
Philippines

Hi Everyone,

Ranking is not a topic of debate or controversy, in every dojo or Aikido style, there are differrent ranking systems, belts are just for color coding, it's the certification thats important and most of all, how you move in and off the mat. In our Club, thats how it is, we don't have examinations even for black belts, promotions are based on recomendations and of course, how you move!

FYI: There are no more than 100 black belts in our club, this just proves how hard it is to get to the next level, in our clubs case. You have to prove yourself time and time again.

Regards Everyone!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:34 AM   #22
kaishaku

Unrelated to Aikido but interesting regarding ranking:

In my current gym the ranks are limited to only white, blue, purple, brown, and black, but since each apparently takes an exceptionally long time to achieve the non-black ones have been broken into four stripes, so, essentially 19 "kyu ranks" to be achieved.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Quote:
Keith Krajewski wrote:
Unrelated to Aikido but interesting regarding ranking:

In my current gym the ranks are limited to only white, blue, purple, brown, and black, but since each apparently takes an exceptionally long time to achieve the non-black ones have been broken into four stripes, so, essentially 19 "kyu ranks" to be achieved.
That's a hell lot of money spent on examinations...
In my dojo colors are as follows:

5th kyu - yellow
4th kyu - orange
3rd kyu - green
2nd kyu - blue
1st kyu - brown
dan levels - black

I like colors, it would be so boring to always be a white belt...

Lucy
Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #24
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

In Saudi Arabia we have only 3 colors other than black, they are:

10-7 white
6-4 green
3-1 brown

We use stripes to designate levels.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #25
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Hey Aries, sorry to bring this thread back to life again. I saw some clips of TAPONDO, just wanted to share it. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/results?tag=tapondo