Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Josh Mason
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido Club, Winchester Ky
Question How much does your Dojo Charge?

I'm paying $50 a month to practice Aikido. How much does your Dojo charge?
Old 09-17-2002, 03:42 PM   #2
akiy

Just for your information, there was a poll done just a couple of months ago on this very topic:

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=121

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
Josh Mason
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido Club, Winchester Ky
Oh sorry..... I'm brand new to this site and I didn't know. Thanks Jun.

Those who are skilled at combat do not become angered or afraid. Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
akiy

No need to apologize, Josh! Just thought I'd point out the results from over 800 people who've answered that question.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-18-2002, 05:55 AM   #5
peteswann
Dojo: Shinwakai UK
Our dojo in the UK charge £5 per class - but if you pay a month in advance you effectively get one class free. There are currently 3 classes a week so if you were able to do all 3 it would be £15 per week, or £48 for a 4 week month and £60 for a 5 week month!!

Pete

Pete
Old 09-18-2002, 06:02 AM   #6
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
our dojo charges £15 per month. But, for that £15 you can train 6 times a week (7 if you are a dan grade), we have around 25 classes in the area to choose from. you pay £20 to join, which gives you the first two months training. If you get someone else to enroll, then you get a free month. If 2 people enroll because of you then you get 3 months.

It works out nice for begginers because they can pay £20 and then bring along 2 friends and they end up with 5 months training

I jear the prices of some of the dojos over seas and I cant believe it, especially since some people consider £15/month alot of money

Old 09-18-2002, 12:27 PM   #7
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
*looks around carefully* It's free! because it's part of the University sports program (they charge you about 16 Euro/YEAR) for attending most sports *dives for cover*

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 09-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #8
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
I am paying 1700 NOK every half year, should be roughly 212 USD. I can train every day, even morning sessions on tuesdays and thursdays.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:25 PM   #9
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
I am new to this message board and this is post #1. The dojo I train at usually charges $1000nt (about $33us). However the instructor has refused a 2nd months payment. I think though he has gained 5 students because I have the only foreinger in the class. The new students in the class are college class mates who I think have paid for the right to learn Aikido and improve their spoken english. hehehe. When ever I make it to shodan I wonder if I will be able to charge double for the (english) Aikido class.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:26 AM   #10
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
At this rate, they might consider using aikido fees as a benchmark against the BigMac benchmark!

Mine charges RM70 a month (USD18) for 4 classes a week. But then, I live on RM not on USD...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:41 AM   #11
Neo

Dojo: Aikikai Aachen, Zen Dojo Shoshinji
I am paying 33 Euro a month to practice aikido. but that is a special price. you normally have to pay 50 Euro a month....

Nicht die Schönheit bestimmt wen wir lieben, sondern die Liebe bestimmt, wen wir schön finden.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:03 AM   #12
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Most of the martial arts schools, in NJ, have an average of $500-$600 per six month session, but because we of LBI Aikikai are using the facilities of the catholic community center it averages out to $40 per month.

Obviously, gettin a location, without shared facilities is more expensive than sharing facilities.

The numbers of keeping an indsependent location dojo open indicate that at least 30-40 students are needed to pay utilities, insurance, upkeep, and the like, but this too changes with the size of the space needed.

So if you have a rented space, or even a shared space in a high profile location, it is not uncommon to have members pay $80 -$100 per month per member.

Sometimes I think it would benefit all those training in martial arts to have four or five different styles of training in one building with three shared rooms so the actual membership would be 200-300 and hence lower the costs for members because of a shared facility.

There are few teachers who can teach full time without a student base of at least 60-80 students. Most times, a teacher has a part time or full time job that pays their living expenses, while the teaching of martial arts is done for little to no profit.

Some of the best shared facilitys are used by dance/ martial arts training centers. Sharing might be the best way to go for the sake of giving us a cheaper training ground, and provide a broader opportunity for more people to experience Aikido?
Old 09-30-2002, 05:06 AM   #13
akiolavi
Thumbs down

I pay 60 euro for whole year in Finland and that's all
Old 09-30-2002, 07:13 AM   #14
Kevin Wilbanks
I was just looking into a dojo in Atlanta to train at as a guest, and one charges a $20 per day mat fee! Visa and Mastercard are accepted!
Old 09-30-2002, 11:35 AM   #15
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Our dojo asks a minimum contribution of 25 euro per month (Those with a more generous income are requested to pay a little more) independent of the number of hours you train (we have approx 10 hour per week).

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 09-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Sometimes I think it would benefit all those training in martial arts to have four or five different styles of training in one building ...
This is what we do where I teach. The club has 5 arts. Judo, aikido, okinawan karate, okinawan weapons, and brazillian jujitsu. We are able to keep our dues at $25/month as long as we can keep 100 students club wide. The cool thing is that if you're into cross training it's great because the monthly dues are for the dojo as a whole. One price gets you into as many arts and classes as you can cram into your schedule (with the exception of bjj, they charge an extra $15/month). All the instructors volunteer their time...most still pay dues themselves. We have a very friendly relationship between all the arts. All of the instructors are willing to send a student to one of the other arts if they find the one they started in just isn't what they want. We also try to do stuff as a whole dojo. Every year we have a formal dinner and awards banquet, there are dojo softball games, demonstrations, etc. It really is nice to bring several arts together and play around and see the differences and similarities in the arts.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-30-2002, 01:56 PM   #17
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Sounds like a very cool place to train Bronson! Glad you are all able to integrate with each other so well.