Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
BC
Re: AAA vs AWA

Does anyone know how old Stephen Toyoda, Fumio Toyoda's son, is?

Robert Cronin
Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

Hi Robert,

After seeing the same article you must have seen, I have the same question.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Keith
Dojo: Susquehanna Aikido

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote: View Post
Does anyone know how old Stephen Toyoda, Fumio Toyoda's son, is?
According to a newspaper article I just read, he's 26.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
BC

This article?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss

Robert Cronin
Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Ouch!

He is the director of the AAA. If he gets convicted that could definitely hurt the organization. I never really met him since I left AAA soon after he took over.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

The article talked about a karate instructor. Does anyone know if that person is the same person as Toyoda's son?

Marc Abrams
Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
aikidoc
United_States

I think the article is a mis-print. Newspapers often put all martial arts in the karate category. From what I know of his age and everything it should have read aikido instructor.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
The article talked about a karate instructor. Does anyone know if that person is the same person as Toyoda's son?

Marc Abrams
its actually probably good that its written that way... in our area in chicago, there's maybe 5 really good quality aikido dojo. all all would i'm sure experience some 'radiation fallout' if the story was written 'correctly'
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

He struck me as way too immature in his aikido to be thrust in a leadership position when I met him at a seminar after Toyoda Sensei's passing away when Andy Sato Sensei was still in charge of instruction at AAA.

This is a very sad development.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Marc Abrams
United_States

If the person who was arrested is the son of Toyoda Sensei, then I feel sorry for his family and the organization.

We must be careful to assess the responsibility of those who teach our children. Power without personal integrity, character and responsibility is a dangerous thing.

As a parent, I know how scary the world is when our children become teenagers and place themselves in situations that they believe that they can handle it. As a parent, I would want that instructor's cajones removed and the sac filled with hot tar .

Marc Abrams
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States
Re: Stephen Toyoda Sensei

I came here to confirm the same story, hoping to find that the "karate" teacher was a different Stephen Toyoda. Even though I knew it was him.

Even if he's not convicted it's still a sad story, for the girl, his family, the AAA and Aikido.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
gcostaki
United_States

Does anyone know what the current status of the dojo is?
Moreover, are classes being conducted, etc?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
crbateman

This is a sad situation. It clearly illustrates that society in general places a higher moral imperative on MA instructors, just as it does others in positions of authority. This instructor is not the first to experience this, and he won't be the last. I hope the organization, for the sake of those within it, can endure this painful episode.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
its actually probably good that its written that way... in our area in chicago, there's maybe 5 really good quality aikido dojo. all all would i'm sure experience some 'radiation fallout' if the story was written 'correctly'
Hi Jerome,

You are reacting from the "Better you than me" syndrome. Think of the 10 other good quality karate dojo affected by the 'radiation fallout'.

I agree with Clark. This, indeed is a sad situation affecting all MA instructors not just aikido.

Many years ago, I witnessed a sexual abuse that took place during the class itself. The students in their after-class drinks even joked that there was (is) another purpose for wearing the loose & baggy hakama. Our one and only fellow student of the opposite sex never came back to class again. One of the guys who was then her college mate rang her and she said that she would never attend another aikido class after the "disgusting" experience with sensei.

Shame.

David Y
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
SeiserL

United_States

Budo is much more than just the way we move in class.
Its about having class.
A sad lesson/reminder for us all.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

It is the same Toyoda that's currently director of AAA. (I previously heard of him facing felony charges and this article confirms it.)

It is important to remember these are still just allegations and details of the assault aren't released. He has yet to be proven guilty and is thus still innocent.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
BC

The article has been corrected today to remove the reference to karate:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...62,print.story

Robert Cronin
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #18
BC

Quote:
Jim McCoy wrote: View Post
Even if he's not convicted it's still a sad story, for the girl, his family, the AAA and Aikido.
I would say it is much sadder for the girl and HER family than the other parties involved.

Robert Cronin
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
svetadz

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
If the person who was arrested is the son of Toyoda Sensei, then I feel sorry for his family and the organization.

We must be careful to assess the responsibility of those who teach our children. Power without personal integrity, character and responsibility is a dangerous thing.

As a parent, I know how scary the world is when our children become teenagers and place themselves in situations that they believe that they can handle it. As a parent, I would want that instructor's cajones removed and the sac filled with hot tar .

Marc Abrams
I know Toyoda Sensei for several years, and I know the girl; this accusation is a deliberate lie; it was absolutely impossible for such an act to happen, besides, there were always 15-20 people around.

Last edited by svetadz : 02-27-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
akiy

Hi folks,

Before things get out-of-hand here, I'd like to step in and remind people that the person in question has only been charged with the crime rather than found guilty. Let's try to maintain the maxim of "innocent until proven guilty" as well as we can when we discuss this particular situation.

I certainly don't know the specifics of the case at this point (outside of what was written in the article posted above), but let's please keep the discussion civil and respectful to those involved.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
aikidoc
United_States

Jun is correct. Allegations without proof can unfortunately be the death roll of a person's career. The article contends they were caught in the act. If so, it gets to witness credibility issues. Someone's advances could have been rejected by the instructor and this could be an act of retribution. It is a good reminder to keep oneself out of potentially questionable situations when around minors. Appearances can be misinterpreted.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
crbateman

True. Please accept my earlier statement with the caveat "If he is determined to be guilty...". I perhaps have given too much creedance to the information that there was a witness. My blanket statement that MA instructors are held to a higher than normal moral expectation is valid regardless of guilt or innocence, however.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
Marc Abrams
United_States

Svetlana:

I think that you need to read my post again. I did not say that this man was guilty of anything. As a matter of fact, I expressed sorrow for his family and the organization. I also expressed my opinion as to how a parent may feel anger and want the instructor to suffer.

You, nor I know what did or did not happen. That is for the court to decide (as if the court is an ultimate arbiter of "truth"). Jun is correct in pointing out that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Clark's comment about being held to higher standards is absolutely correct. I have coached children's sports, work with all ages as a psychologist, taught at an undergraduate and graduate level and now teach martial arts to children, teens and adults. In all of those endeavors, I have knowingly accepted the "higher" standards that others would place on me and not onto themselves. When we allow ourselves to function in relationships in which we have a greater degree of power/authority over others, we should be held to a higher standard. The "intoxication" of power works on both sides of an inequitable relationship. Some people try and get intimate with a person of "higher power" and some people try and get intimate with a person of "lesser power." It requires a great deal of integrity and diligence to see to it that relationships maintain proper boundaries.

This situation is simply unfortunate for all involved. Nothing good can come from this.

Marc Abrams
Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
Lacoste
United_States
Thumbs up Re: Stephen Toyoda Sensei

Does anyone know the current status of this case? Was he prosecuted, or were charges dropped?

Thanks,

Lacoste
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States

Well Sensei Toyoda is teaching and I trust him around my 14year old daughter . So that was years ago and now btw, and just hoped to leave a note...EXONERATED.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!