Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-13-2002, 10:47 AM   #1
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
Learning Japanese

For all the non-native japanese speakers out there who have managed to learn japanese: Please share your (un)sucessful experiences/methodology.

Specifically, what method worked best for you? Immersive learning, via a weekend at the Japan Society or 6 months in Japan, for example. Or was it a different approach that suited your disposition that was successful. How long did it take? Was it important to let go of self-imposed expectations? Or is a goal within a specific timeset essential?

Did you use flash cards? Language tapes transfered to .mp3 and put on your iPod for the commute to work?

Thanks for your input.

--Chuck
Old 06-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Duarh
well, my level is spoken-only basic (not VERY basic, but nothing philosophical either) conversation. My method was 1) learning grammar patterns from a textbook (i used 'nakama') 2) getting a dictionary (i got Oxford's Basic, which is bad for vocabulary, has only 3000 words, but has a nice useful appendix on grammar) 3) used the best-ever, ultimate Japanese learning tool available in the west - anime. Watch/listen & write down words & check meanings. Making pretty swift progress - but this won't work for everyone
Old 06-14-2002, 07:43 PM   #3
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
anime wo shite imasu

Quote:
Originally posted by Duarh
well, my level is spoken-only basic (not VERY basic, but nothing philosophical either) conversation. My method was 1) learning grammar patterns from a textbook (i used 'nakama') 2) getting a dictionary (i got Oxford's Basic, which is bad for vocabulary, has only 3000 words, but has a nice useful appendix on grammar) 3) used the best-ever, ultimate Japanese learning tool available in the west - anime. Watch/listen & write down words & check meanings. Making pretty swift progress - but this won't work for everyone
Thank you for your input; it sounds like your course to japanese competancy was full of minor course corrections. Luck has it in for me, the day to day exposure to amine is intense; i just finished the Evangelion DVD for Manga [authoring is what I do, for you geeks out there]. Thanks for your help.

--Chuck
Old 06-25-2002, 06:44 AM   #4
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
I think i'm LEARNING japanese i think i'm LEARNING japanese i really think so (guitar bit) (anybody heard the vapours? incubus did a cover the other year)

anyhoo i have also taken the initiative to start learning japanese i can say a few words and i'm starting to pickup on the writing which is really kewl no wonder the japanese can draw so well when their alphabet should be done with ink and a brush
but so far i have picked up one of those Japanese for dummies books, type of thing
having had previous success with german
Ya meine erdverkle(SP?) ist blau
my ant-eater is blue by the way

pete
Old 07-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #5
cguzik
Talking

Here is a useful resource for anyone interested in learning Japanese.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

Best,

Chris
Old 07-18-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Quote:
Chris Guzik (cguzik) wrote:
Here is a useful resource for anyone interested in learning Japanese.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

Best,

Chris
Hee hee - Hilarious!

Dave
Old 07-22-2002, 12:21 PM   #7
Rev_Sully
I dunno if I'm learning Japanese but I can identify it now both written and spoken apart from other Asian languages.

I watch Dragon Ball Z in Japanese unsubtitled on the International Channel at 10:30PM on Sunday nights.

I know...

Baka!

Yamiro!

Koitsu!!!

Nanda/Nani?

-san

-chan

-kun

-sama

several vegetables.

Still having trouble learning to count. But the collect phone commercial helps 10-10-345...Ichi Zero Ichi Zero...San Yon Go! I think that's close.

I'm trying to understand the scope of the language. Lots of little words all thrown together to make bigger ideas lots of the time.

"He who knows best knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
wanderingwriath
Try this web site. It's got animated .gif files that even show the proper stroke order for hiragana and katakana.

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/index.html

or

http://members.aol.com/writejapan/index.htm

or

http://www.kanjistep.com/
Old 09-25-2002, 10:33 AM   #9
DanielR
In addition to web links, it would be great to hear more recommendations of books and/or audio materials people found useful. From my experience of learning two foreign languages, nothing can replace being in the language environment 24/7, but until that happens...

Thanks!

Daniel