Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2000, 10:25 PM   #1
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Ai symbol

I am Deaf (not all the way but have a very servere case). in fact I was Born Deaf. I love to train the arts. I took up Aikido 2 years ago. I am a 7kyu. in my Dojo that is pretty fast considering the time. two one and one half classes ( children i am 15 and go to school so...) and one 2 hour class on saturday (teens and Adults round up)and I have a hearing aid. it is a problem. I got a new mold for my ear because my other one has slipped off a lot. so then the new one falls off when ever I get thrown at least 5 times. it is a drag. my teacher says that if i leave my hearing aid out ill learn more. Do any of you have any ideas? And does anybody know any device that would keep a hearing aid on during sports and practice? thanks
Old 06-30-2000, 02:40 PM   #2
akiy

Why not try for a week without your hearing aid and see how it goes?

A lot of people who wear glasses will take their glasses off when training. Why? To stop relying upon having their glasses since it can get knocked off during a confrontation.

I just found this link that may help you:

http://homestead.juno.com/mikeri/Dea...tsSociety.html

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-30-2000, 06:51 PM   #3
Nick
United_States
Either that, or find a way to keep your hearing aid in. There's a guy in my dojo who has blood sugar problems and is deaf in one ear, and still shows up every chance he gets. Such is his devotion...

It'd be the same as if you went to the Aikikai Hombu- you wouldn't be able to make out all of what they were saying (with some exceptions for those are fluent), but I would think you would learn a lot...

Kanpai,

-Nick
Old 07-01-2000, 09:31 AM   #4
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Talking

thanks for the website Jun I Really like the replys. I am deaf in my right ear and have a "half" ear in my left. I will try one week without a hearing aid probely not this week sense I once forgot my fm system. ( it is a little booth that stays on my hearing aid andmy teachers at shcool were a microphone so I can here them better thatn the studenst.) thanks for the site and advice.
Old 07-03-2000, 01:56 AM   #5
Erik
The value of the spoken word is way overrated, usually by those doing the speaking.

I've read that something like 7% of communication takes place verbally. I'd bet in the martial arts it's even less. So will you be missing that much? Witness how many times you've been told to do something but don't get it whereas if you feel it you get it?

Then there's the times where I wished I could turn off the monotonous sound found at a dojo. Some sensei just won't shut up. I know I'm supposed to glean every bit from their pearly wisdom but Keyrist maybe they could bullet point, give it to us after class or put it on their web site. When every response is "uh huh!" the folks have stopped listening but to some it's a sign they are on a roll.

I'm with Jun, give it a week and see what happens.