Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
tuturuhan
United_States
Circular (Baqua) Footwork vs Empty Hand

Look for the similarities between Chinese Martial Arts (baqua) and aikido:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9Ia-1KM-c

The idea is to flank and strike from behind. The circular footwork increases the velocity of the strikes by employing centrifigal force and gravitional pull/push.

Sincerely
Joseph t. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Martin Goodyear
United Kingdom
Re: Circular (Baqua) Footwork vs Empty Hand

I'm a bit surprised and dissapointed that no one's responded to this thread. I don't think the attacks were strong enough to really show off the bagua convincingly, bit aikido/bagua similarities ar well worth exploring.

Bruce Kumar Frantzis (an American Bagua lineage holder) is pretty convinced that O-Sensei (and Frantzis, apparently, trained at Hombu dojo and saw him in action) encountered Bagua whilst in China. I have no idea if there was such an opportunity, but tend to think that universal principles lend themselves to independant rediscovery. But maybe he is right, for the political climate in Japan would not have lent itself to acknowledging Chinese martial influences. One might like to think that O'Sensei was above such considerations, but he was probably a wily old fox and he did want to promote his art. If any O-Sensei historian-types have an opinion on Frantzis's O-Sensei Bagua hypothesis, I'd certainly like to hear them.

Here's some Frantzis clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4u5z...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RDKfTm6pY

The training method of Bagua - walking in a circle - is an interesting format for trying out aikido moves. I've done it a bit, but not much. Also, learning the basic palm change and seeing how it relates to aikido is insightful. Being a solo practice, one can focus more on discovering the natural lines and spirals within one's body as you move and turn - then translate this into aikido moves. I think that because, in aikido, we're always working with a partner, it is easy to miss the subtle ways in which we can increase the efficiency of our own movement.

I believe that Bagua, as well as circling and evading, also uses a blast through the centre strategy that may equate with irimi. With the forever (often unproductive) "real situation" debate in aikido, to which I confess an interest, one would think that a close look at Bagua (which in the early 20th century China had a fearsome reputation) would provide a lucrative avenue for research. The little I've done has taught me a bit about what a more atemi-based aikido might look/feel like, but unfortunately I'm not qualified to lead such a discussion.

All the best,
Martin.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

I have never seen this before, but it does look very interesting. I did a quick search for a school (I would like to see it in person) but looks to be an elusive martial art to find.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
akiy

Quote:
Martin Goodyear wrote: View Post
Bruce Kumar Frantzis (an American Bagua lineage holder) is pretty convinced that O-Sensei (and Frantzis, apparently, trained at Hombu dojo and saw him in action) encountered Bagua whilst in China.
Amongst other posts on this subject in these Forums, here's Chris Li quoting Ellis Amdur on the subject:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...9467#post79467

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
Martin Goodyear
United Kingdom

Thanks Jun,

I should have guessed that this would have been discussed before on AikiWeb - interesting thread.

Nice to see that all the speculation is good natured, since it is only speculation of course. Regarding Ellis Amdur's response, I think the fact that aikido doesn't do the bagua 'wringing' thing with torso and legs facing different directions is a big stylistic point.

However, I don't think that someone at Ueshiba's level would need to study with a master to gain significant insights into, and be influenced by, another art. Of course, there's no substitute for training, but Ueshiba's understanding of martial arts must have given his eyes to see things that others would miss. After all, many an aikido person might spot a tai chi subtlety, but understand it in different terms and seek to apply it differently - and this is O-Sensei we're talking about.

So maybe O-Sensei did see some bagua. Then again, maybe God just told him that circles were cool.

Fun to speculate though,
Martin.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
Look for the similarities between Chinese Martial Arts (baqua) and aikido:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9Ia-1KM-c

The idea is to flank and strike from behind. The circular footwork increases the velocity of the strikes by employing centrifigal force and gravitional pull/push.

Sincerely
Joseph t. Oliva Arriola
The Greeks figured that one out too didn't they?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
The Greeks figured that one out too didn't they?
Funny you should mention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBFc90OCac

Perhaps, "phi" the golden mean applies to all maritial arts, japanese, chinese, filipino, and greek.

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Good Morning Tuhan,

Let's just take it one step further and include "all creation arts", including martial arts, by means of.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_geometry.

Thank You,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Good Morning Tuhan,

Let's just take it one step further and include "all creation arts", including martial arts, by means of.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_geometry.

Thank You,
Jen
Jenn,

On the second day of my seminar in Athens, the Sifu (Vagelis Zorbas) who sponsored the seminar gave me a book entitled "Sacred Geometry".

Interestingly, I had seen the book several years before but I shied away it given my limited high school math knowledge. It wasn't until I started homeschooling my 10 year old in algebra and geometry was I "ready" to read the book.

It was as if the "Greeks/Greece were/was there to teach me...rather then them learning from me.

Tuhan

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola