Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-14-2004, 07:34 AM   #1
BBozkurt
Tegatana and Bokuto

By treating your body as a weapon and especially your hand as a tip of a sword, most of the techniques in aikido are finished by cutting the opponent. Like you cannot bend yer sword you should not bend your arm...by using this analogy...most of the techniques can be understood easily...but some techniques are really hard to comprehend in this way...such as,kotegaeshi..or some kokyunages...

do you think that every technique can be explained by treating your arm(tegatana) as a sword(bokuto)?

Bozkurt
nikkyu aikikai
Turkiye
Old 07-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Tegatana and Bokuto

Quote:
Baris Bozkurt wrote:

do you think that every technique can be explained by treating your arm(tegatana) as a sword(bokuto)?

Bozkurt
nikkyu aikikai
Turkiye
Most? Yes. Every? No.

Some projection techniques, particularly some kokyunage, seem to be more clearly related to the kind of thrust that would be used with a staff or bayonet.

Although I'm not suggesting a line of derivation, some more elaborate techniques which use the possibilities of movement in the shoulder, elbow, or wrist might be more analogous to the use of a two or three section staff.

Best regards,

Fred Little
Old 07-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

I think it's pretty clearly just a metaphor. Certainly similar movements are used, but an empty-hand shomenuchi is an empty-hand shomenuchi, it is not a sword cut. With respect to kotegaeshi, the 'cutting down to center' seems sword-like - tight grip, arcing outwards and forwards, stopping at center point, whole body movement. But I think differences at the technical level are to be expected.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
NagaBaba

Quote:
Baris Bozkurt wrote:

Bozkurt
nikkyu aikikai
Turkiye
Not on beginners level. Only some of very high ranking ppl can do that.
For the rest of us, mortals, we must go throug very severe training in order to understand relations between position of ams in every technique and position arms when doing sword work.
In fact we must start with large circles, and step by step make them smaller and smaller. all this in accordance with whole body movement, particularly hips. There are also very small movements of forearms that tends to disappear, these movements are rotations of forearms and joints(wrists and elbows)....too difficult to explain in words.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I think the answer will become clear if you have an opportunity to study swordsmanship basics.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 07-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
David Ringle
Dojo: Aikido of Sacramento
United_States

Thinking about sword work, particularly cutting strokes, has been very useful for many Aikido movements. I think you will miss the subtle figure eight wrist work that is unique to Aikido if you only focus on sword cutting. An example would be tenchi nage, where the sword stroke movement of the arms is preceded briefly by kokyu dosa like hand work that sucks uke in and allows his center to pop up when the sword movement is applied.

I have to thank you for the great topic. I've been thinking a lot about the sword movement in Aikido lately. Taking a more serious look at weapons work has really improved my Aikido.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
David Ringle wrote:
Thinking about sword work, particularly cutting strokes, has been very useful for many Aikido movements. I think you will miss the subtle figure eight wrist work that is unique to Aikido if you only focus on sword cutting. I've been thinking a lot about the sword movement in Aikido lately. Taking a more serious look at weapons work has really improved my Aikido.
Yup, David,

You are right. As a MA derived from armed combat, Aikido does have a lot of similarity to kenjutsu movement. In fact, a lot of Aikido idiosicracies and percularity may be explained and make more sense when we start to see how a swordsperson utilizes his weapon.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #8
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Out of interest, does anyone know of a senior instructor who doesn't use sword analogies, or says Aikido is not like sword work?

Mark
x