Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Tim Mailloux
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Judo for all the reasons stated above, and IMO it also takes less time to become proficient in basic judo than aikido.

FWIW I also feel that most aikidoka could also bennifit from some judo training. I remember having a conversation years ago with Dan Harden after my 2nd IT training workshop at his home dojo. I told him that I really hoped the IT stuff would help me really throw a resisting partner. Dan's response "if you want to learn how to actually throw someone go find a judo dojo." I did, and much to my pleasure and the displeasure of my fellow aikidoka he was right :-)
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Tim Mailloux wrote: View Post
Judo for all the reasons stated above, and IMO it also takes less time to become proficient in basic judo than aikido.

FWIW I also feel that most aikidoka could also bennifit from some judo training. I remember having a conversation years ago with Dan Harden after my 2nd IT training workshop at his home dojo. I told him that I really hoped the IT stuff would help me really throw a resisting partner. Dan's response "if you want to learn how to actually throw someone go find a judo dojo." I did, and much to my pleasure and the displeasure of my fellow aikidoka he was right :-)
Well the take home message could be that IT wouldn't help you.

Judo randori takes very little intuitive understanding - you can do it and reap the benefit right away. Take away that type of resistance training and you move into the realm of faith - confidence takes more time.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Well the take home message could be that IT wouldn't help you.

Judo randori takes very little intuitive understanding - you can do it and reap the benefit right away. Take away that type of resistance training and you move into the realm of faith - confidence takes more time.
If he were saying - do Judo instead of IT then you would be right. But that's not what he was saying at all.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Judo and Internal Training

If you want to throw, you need to learn how to throw. IT won't teach that. What IT does, is provide the power, stability and connectivity that make your throwing of resisting partners more effective, efficient of movement and stability, and powerful than do the conventional means of executing throwing (and other) techniques.

Learn to throw, and learn IT, then use the latter to drive the former.