Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #51
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England
Re: Where Did Ueshiba Morihei's Training Go?

[quote=Jason Casteel;251106]
3. Again, I can't say the either Takeda or Ueshiba felt that weapons were integral to what they were teaching. Nobody, in either DR or Aikido seems to have gotten any consistant weapons training from either Takeda or Ueshiba.......... (end Quote)

Morihiro saito sensei, Im quoting an interview with him as posted on AIki Journal, practiced weapons work with O`sensei nearly every morning for 20 + years, in Iwama.
Mitsuigi saotome sensei, Also studied weapons with the founder in Iwama.
I would say 20 years +, training practicaly every morning in fron of the Aiki shrine was pretty consistant weapons training.

in Budo

Andy B
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #52
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
It could equally be said that Ushiba was trying to free their minds.....
I was recently told by someone (this is a third party repeating the comments one of Morihei Ueshiba's uchideshi made on the subject to him) that the reason both Tohei and Hikitsuchi Sensei received 10th Dan was because they had "freed themselves from the confines of their own minds". Whatever that means.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
.....Yet it is worth noting that it appears the one student who pursued the path of IP/aiki, Tohei, was recognized and given a "finished" diploma 10th dan.
I think it might be worth considering what Hikitsuchi and he had in common, it was obviously something O Sensei considered important, given what I said above.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #53
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Tohei can be seen on film doing demonstrations of standing on one leg and being pushed. But, did Tohei or his group "assume a one-legged stance and tell" anyone "to come at him"? Not being snide, but interested to know if anyone actually did this. I'd never heard about Tohei's group doing that.
I've seen that done

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr