Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #1601
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Now, Mike, you need to warn me when you post something like that. I nearly spewed RC all over the monitor. LOL.
If my lips are moving, I'm cracking jokes.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #1602
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Well, Erick, I have to admit that with Jennifer and Justin supporting your methodology and elucidation, it gives people some pause.
Oh my. Where are the "one liner" police when you need them?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #1603
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I'm afraid of saying anything more -- because it feels like at any moment one of us could get hit with a YouTube link to Thumper and Bambi . . .

I've seen it happen before, folks . . .

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #1604
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Well, Erick, I have to admit that with Jennifer and Justin supporting your methodology and elucidation, it gives people some pause. Hmmmmmm
Apparently if I said I Erick's approach is interesting it means I am supporting him 100% to you. Now that is interesting.

Me and Jennifer's last names are both Smith. Another conspiracy fer ya!

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 08-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #1605
Mike Sigman
United_States

Incidentally, Justin actually presents himself as a very good example of what is beginning to happen in various martial arts as more and more people suddenly get "in the know". Take a look at Justin's publicly displayed critique and analysis at:
http://www.statisticool.com/internal.htm

Justin is kind enough to put his current knowledge on record (with a bit of an attitude to assist) and for the people in the know, he paints himself as a good example of what is beginning to happen on a larger scale throughout the ranks of asian-derived martial arts. Think of all the books, articles, blogs, speeches, in just one art like Aikido (or your pick of any art, for that matter). Multiply it by the numbers of different asian-derived martial arts AND all the factions thereof. You can see what's on the verge of happening and why it's so fascinating to watch.

My thanks to Justin for providing a sterling example.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #1606
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
If my lips are moving, I'm cracking jokes.
I can do that without moving my lips.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #1607
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I can do that without moving my lips.
Sure, but anyone can do that. Not everyone can do them without moving the lips but also mimic the voice of famous celebrities. Watch this:

"Who am I?"

See if you can guess what that was an impression of.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #1608
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
I'm afraid of saying anything more -- because it feels like at any moment one of us could get hit with a YouTube link to Thumper and Bambi . . .

I've seen it happen before, folks . . .
I resemble that comment .

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #1609
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
"Who am I?"

See if you can guess what that was an impression of.

Hong Jun Sheng.

Quote:
Hong Jun Sheng - tr. Mike Sigman wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210292...www.neijia.com "It is clear that the fundamentals of taijiquan is the reeling technique. The appearance of the motion in Chen style taijiquan is helical.This form of spiral movement not only appears on the surface of the skin,but also appears inside through the whole body. It causes every joint,muscle bundle, and even every cell to experience motion. Through repeated stretching and twining in the training for a prolonged period of time, the body will naturally attain a resilient and elastic strength that is loose and yet not loose at the same time. This is the silk reeling jing.In the Chen style this is also known as peng jing, or the neijing commonly known in taijiquan literature. Chan Fa, the 'technique of reeling',then, is the various application of this strength." ...

"We must understand how to apply hardness and softness, what is softness, what is hardness, and how hardness and softness can interchange and compliment each other. People who do not study Chen style taijiquan, or study it but don't understand the technique of reeling, when they apply hardness and softness their motion are usually linear. Or maybe they understand how to move in large orbital curves, but they don't have the spin coupling with the orbital motion. The result is that when they use hardness they feel they are resisting, when they use softness they would feel they are letting go. All motion in Chen style taijiquan, whether it is large or small, are spinning. If you turn half a circle, you have 180 degrees of arc composed of points. At the contact point with your opponent, if you meet the motion head on (meeting the point), then you feel hardness; if you meet the motion from the side (meeting the arc), then you feel softness. If your point meets the opponent's arc it will slide over and becomes softness.Only if you meet point with point will the hardness appear. If both sides meet each other head on, however, it becomes resisting force with force. At this point, whoever has bigger strength and faster motion will bounce out the weaker and slower. In Chen style, although you need to use your point to attack the opponent's point, you should use the point in the arc from the spinning motion, so during fajing there is no feeling of resistance."
You don't get to invite me to put words in your mouth and get away scot-free.

Hmmm. No feeling of resistance. Point to arc. Arc to point. Perpendiculars. [tangent/centripetal] Spiral movement. Orbital and spinning at contact. Yeah, maybe I'm out of my league here. To see this as a merely nominal differnece of terminology of one essential set of concepts in application and engagement of physical forces, is plainly wrongheaded. Guess, I'll just revert to my roots and drop all this pretensifying

Gee. I cain't reckon it. Shore wish us dumb rednecks had us some o' that-there "meckanicks" ta handle this-here "orbital/spinning, helical, arc-point, no resistance" -type stuff. Way over my poor haid. I mean, hoo-eee! Daayum!

[spit some chaw]

I'll jest git some 'shine tuh loosen us right up afore we commence to wrassle summore. Gonna suplex ya sure, this time. Gosh, golly -- "Payng Jeeng?" What could we be talking about ? "Faw Jeeng?" What could that be? If'n don't nobody wanna wrassle -- I'd just haul off an' backhand 'at sumb*tch into next week.

I'm jest stumped.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 08-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #1610
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
I resemble that comment .
oops......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Bbt9extsg

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #1611
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
A different "Thumper," though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFxBzlFe94

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #1612
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Allen, understood, and I really hope we get to train together some day soon! Maybe even in November...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #1613
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Justin is kind enough to put his current knowledge on record (with a bit of an attitude to assist)
I'm wondering why one has any issue with someone talking about what they've experienced with others' conceptions of "internal". Certainly your own posts show you don't have a problem with "attitude", so that can't be it.

I'd think that pointing out that the diagrams and even terms of what some call internal are found in some arts considered external is interesting. Well, it interests me anyway, even at my low level, rudimentary, rookie knowledge level.

Quote:
Think of all the books, articles, blogs, speeches, in just one art like Aikido (or your pick of any art, for that matter). Multiply it by the numbers of different asian-derived martial arts AND all the factions thereof. You can see what's on the verge of happening and why it's so fascinating to watch.
I'm no expert, so could you please tell us what exactly is on the verge of happening?

And then if you really feel like answering questions, maybe say exactly what you hoped to accomplish by pointing out my webpage. It isn't too clear.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #1614
Allen Beebe
United_States

Thanks Ron,

November sounds good. (Although if the training is anything like last time, I might not be able to walk, much less train. ) BTW, if you are ever in Portland, please consider visiting the dojo. I'll buy you a beer and give you a place to stay if you need one.

Regards,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #1615
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hi Allen, understood, and I really hope we get to train together some day soon! Maybe even in November...

Best,
Ron
Very likely, rumor has it that both parties are likely to be in town!

Nice comments Allen. I don't know if it's because I already know you and Doug, but when I read Doug's comments, I assumed the context you presented. Don't beat him too bad for running his mouth off...

See y'all soon.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #1616
Allen Beebe
United_States

Hi Chris,

Thanks for putting "things" together. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll have P.P.$ for you soon. (I'm waiting to get paid.)

I don't "beat" Doug. He likes it too much , makes me feel uncomfortable! BTW, he is a year older today!

My students would probably say: "How do you know when Allen is running off at the mouth? His lips are moving!" Knowing this, I can't be too critical AND I try not to post much.

Some random thoughts relating to this forum:

While I recognize that teaching can lead to self discovery (That is what I do as a profession, along with Budo and Buddhism), as a rule of thumb, I think that it is hard to learn with one's mouth open. Although, intelligent questions and paraphrasing for clarification can be useful.

On the other hand, if it were just one "expert" teaching, there wouldn't be nearly the degree of diversity in exchange. I can see where the Open Forum format leads to both the best and worst sharing of info. I certainly am grateful for the jewels that are shared and try to avoid contributing or encouraging the pits. Having started well before the internet age, I think in many ways the net has improved the field.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #1617
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Happy birthday Doug!

Best,
Ron (hmmm, enjoys the beatings, does he??? )

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #1618
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

I don't mind beating Doug, I think it's kinda fun.

and anyway, he does it to me when he's nage, so why not.

I think his birthday is actually on the 4th of Sept., big Four-Oh you know.

Chris, I'm in Allen's boat and will P.P. you when I get paid.

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #1619
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Ok, so if you're coming to the Akuzawa semiar from the Portland dojo, just be sure to share your "safe" word with your partners from out of town...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #1620
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Chris, didn't you read Tom's signature? There are no "safe" words... well maybe "ouch! that f-ing hurts you @-hole!" (sure sign of a good technique is potty mouth ) (actually potty mouth also seems to accompany bad technique too...) (now I'm just confusedly talking parenthetically. )

As for B-days, you're all wrong. Not today. And as for beatings, they don't call me "doughboy" for nothing.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #1621
Walker

United_States

Ron, you are obviously a gentleman and a scholar so I apologize in advance for myself and my fellow semi-ambulatory ground monkeys. (if we make the cross we can just about stand upright)

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #1622
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
As for B-days, you're all wrong. Not today. And as for beatings, they don't call me "doughboy" for nothing.
I dunno, but last year the ninjas said it was September 4th, so I'm bettin' it's that day again this year.

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #1623
Walker

United_States

Quote:
Tom Wharton wrote: View Post
I dunno, but last year the ninjas said it was September 4th, so I'm bettin' it's that day again this year.
See, this is what comes from listening to ninjas -- off just enough to be as good as wrong while being close enough to fool the unwary.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #1624
Ron Tisdale
United_States

LOL, just don't call me Sir, I WORK for a living!

Best,
Ron (oh, don't call me late for dinner, either! )
Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Ron, you are obviously a gentleman and a scholar so I apologize in advance for myself and my fellow semi-ambulatory ground monkeys. (if we make the cross we can just about stand upright)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #1625
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
LOL, just don't call me Sir, I WORK for a living!

Best,
Ron (oh, don't call me late for dinner, either! )
How about if I call you a bum? Choosing to associate with all those Northwesterners instead of sticking around here. (Is my jealousy showing through yet? LOL! It should be!)