Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #26
Amendes
Re: Funny things during class

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Michael:

It's always hard to not crack up at a seminar when someone accidently squeaks one while warming up.

Far worse during meditation.
As it happened on person broke wind at this quite time before. And every time someone would stop laughing, the next person would start.

But the best was when one of the white belts was testing his first test, and he did a roll and came up, while needless to say, his pants did not.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #27
Tatiana
Dojo: Lenwakan
Brazil
Tongue Re: Funny things during class

During warm up one day, there was one where we had to bring our knees up to our chest, and hold... Needless to say, by mistake I let slip a wind, while the guy next to me turned around and said "But withou farting..."it was sooo embaressing, but so funny at the same time....

Fast forward to yesterday....

It was my second pre-exam, and my partner was going to apply shomenhuti iriminague on me.... Sooooo... Like a good partner, I attaked, she came in to block, and pulled me to her sholder... But instead, she stepped on my foot, and knocked my head on her jaw... I walked away rubbing my head, and her, her jaw, while every one else laughed. We tried again.... This time she stepped on my foot, knocked my head on her jaw, and tripped me up..... LOL! Needless to say that she won't be doing the exam now... She doesn't even want to.. Doesn't think she's good enough... I wonder why.... LOL!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #28
Emily Fine
Dojo: Aikido Academy, Community Center
United_States

My friend was practicing a twirling exercize with a jo, and so one of my other friends says, "You're going to get those in your crotch." To which he replied, "No I'm no-" and then he hit himself and fell over. For quite some time after that, his voice was an octave higher!
Also, ye be warned who don't tie their pants tightly- my brother's fell off during a roll, and he said, "I'm sorry, I can't control me pants!" to which my sensei replied, "I've used that line- it doesn't work." @_@

~Emily
Old 09-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #29
Tatiana
Dojo: Lenwakan
Brazil

LOL!!!! Too funny!!! I`ve never seen anyone`s pants falling off in class, but then, maybe we all tie them too tightly... many a time i`ve seen someone go off to the bathroom to loosen their pants `cause they coulden`t breath... But them I`ve also seen 1 too many go to the bathroom to prevent their pants from falling off... LOL!

Quote:
Emily Fine wrote:
Also, ye be warned who don't tie their pants tightly- my brother's fell off during a roll, and he said, "I'm sorry, I can't control me pants!" to which my sensei replied, "I've used that line- it doesn't work." @_@

~Emily
Old 09-21-2004, 09:52 PM   #30
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

Today we were doing a technique... I think it was Kata-dori-sankyo (not sure, still new!) and I was uke. I sort of stumbled and stubbed my big toe kinda bad on the mat. It made a very loud "pop" or "snap" sound as the toe bent down under my foot. Immediately everyone hearing the sound turned their heads.

My partner asked if I was ok, I said yes.

Sensei also asked if I was ok, and I said I was fine. It hurt pretty bad, but it was a pretty nasty stubbing, maybe a slight sprain, nothing too bad. I could still move it

My partner suddenly had a really worried look on his face and said "Are you sure you are ok? It looks broken!"

I then realized something. You see, the toe next to my big toe on my right foot is sort of "crooked," the joint bends to the side. It has been that way as long as I can remember, perhaps I broke it when I was too young to remember. This is the first time my partner saw my "deformed toe," and he saw it right after I stubbed it pretty bad and made a loud "pop!" noise. From his point of view, it probably looked like he broke my toe! I explained "It has always looked like that" and then we continue practicing. After practice I explained the situation and we had a good laugh about it!

Anyway, that is my funny story. Now I think I will ice my toe a bit!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #31
nmrmak
Dojo: Shin Ken (Aikikai)
Yugoslavia

I've just returned from my dojo. I had a "situation" there. Being a newbie, i've been told to hold my hand in front of my face to prevent atemi to it. Needless to say, the very instant i dropped my guard, i recieved an uppercut atemi to my lower lip. So the nage starts apologising, and i was like: "ok, ok, it was nothing, now just throw me again"

I got the feeling that it hurt him more than me
Old 11-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #32
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Smile Re: Funny things during class

Got a fresh one:

The dojo I'm going to is good friends with the dojo that runs a university Aikido club. A couple of Thursdays after Tai Chi, I've gone up to sit in, partly because of my Aikido addiction and partly because if the weather prevented me from going to Friday parctice, this would have to do.

On a recent Thursday, I was sitting in, and the club was doing its thing, when this big mother of a cockroach popped up on the corner of the mat.

You wouldn't think there was something funny about a roomful of martial artists (including me) being put off by the sight of a cockroach, but there is.

Once the interploper had been disposed of, normal practice resumed.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 AM   #33
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

Once during a randori I tried a lapel grab, but missed the gi jacket and grabbed the nage's t-shirt, an underlying chest hair. Ouch.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #34
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Devin McDowell wrote:
Once during a randori I tried a lapel grab, but missed the gi jacket and grabbed the nage's t-shirt, an underlying chest hair. Ouch.
<Mike touches his own chest in sympathy> "Ouch" is such a small word for such a large amount of pain!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #35
Jonathan Thielen

Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan Aikido Dojo

Quote:
Thomas Ambrose wrote:

You see, the toe next to my big toe on my right foot is sort of "crooked," the joint bends to the side. It has been that way as long as I can remember
The exact same thing happened to me once!!! My second toes (on both feet) are crooked, and once I stubbed my big toe and made some kind of exclamation (probably rather inappropriate!)...my partner at the time looked at my foot, saw my deformed toe and was pretty worried...Fortunately, I had my other foot to prove it wasn' broken!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #36
dominicmulholland
Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleraine
Northern Ireland

A couple of weeks of ago we were practising Taisabaki and Sensei came round to demonstrate something and, as I was the guinea-pig, he said that the idea behind the move was to unbalance your opponent. He had put his hand on my forehead and next thing I know I'm on the floor with my training partners in fit of laughter. Apparently the look on my face as i fell was priceless.

There is no spoon

Begin The Unneccessarily Slow Lowering Mechanism!!

Dr. Evil; Austin Powers: International Man Of Mistery.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:16 PM   #37
JayRhone
United_States

Quote:
Could have been worse. What if it was a woman? Well maybe not to bad. Heheh

Be the water, not the rock
Old 11-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #38
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Jay Rhone wrote:
Could have been worse. What if it was a woman? Well maybe not to bad. Heheh
I hope you are not referring to the chest hair you sic puppy you.

Chest hair is a target - I've been known to trim my chest (baaaaa) before Judo shiai.

Stupid moves include actually missing a partner when attempting a technique during randori and ending up on the floor with your partner standing above you with a now what??? expression on their face in front of a whole whack of witnesses.

Or how about your mawashi falling off after a bout of Sumo - right in front of a rabid pack of giggling Japanese ladies.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-06-2004, 03:54 AM   #39
K Lynch
United Kingdom

I can't remember who said it, but I agree.. these kind of incidents just -make- the class/seminar. Stops any of us from taking ourselves too seriously!

There's loads I like, but off the top of my head.. (names withheld to protect the innocent)
We were at our yearly Weapons Camp, a good mix of people. In the fairly expansive camping area at Savernake Forest. So here we are watching Sensei demonstrate some of the finer points of kumi-jo, when along comes this sage piece of advice, "It's not the distance that's important.. it's the timing and the distance." Crickets literally chirped as the whole class sought a way to say, 'Uh.. sensei.. you what?!' in an appropriately dignified martial arts reply. At which point he realised what he'd just said, chuckled, and moved swiftly onward in that patented, 'I never made a mistake anyway..' dan grade fashion.

Secondly, on a course just recently, one of the senseis was using counter-techniques in groups as a method of highlighting the possible weaknesses of a given technique. In this case, it was an iriminage-off-iriminage counter which two dan grades were doing nice and patiently and slowly for the benefit of all us baffled lower grades. Now there was a bit of a height difference between the two, and at the crucial point the shorter one went for the counter... and completely missed. Couldn't get the other to move. So in a classic aikido fashion, decided to make something up. Pretty much bundles himself at the taller man... looks like WWF grappling in hakamas. By which point, the entire group is trying desperately not to snicker. (Out of interest, the end result was a reasonable, if not pretty, sacrifice throw.. Guess you had to have been there!)

Karen
Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #40
Tatsukage
United_States

There was this one time we were practicing toshu randori, and as I went in for shihonage, my partner did kotogaeish, and in mid-airfall, i let out the word "wheee!" before promptly hitting the mat. I hadn't realized that it slipped until I sat back down after the randori, and everyone was either laughing for holding back laughter. My friend pointed out what I had done. :P
Old 12-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #41
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Quote:
Devin McDowell wrote:
"What if they're naked?"
umm, grab and throw them by their "handles. "
Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #42
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

At a recent seminar, one of the two seminar sensei was showing how gentle the lead into iriminage can be by using the hair on top of uke's head to pull him through the throw. Many gasps from the audience, but the people taking ukemi seemed happy enough with it. Then he called up another uke, discovered he was bald on top, and actually sent him back (accompanied by gales of laughter) because the hair-waza just wasn't going to work.

Mary Kaye
Old 12-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #43
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Quote:
Dean Suter wrote:
It is quite funny to see a person get pinned by their hair!
Would that be considered aiki bouffant or something more along the lines of suwari waza katate dori kami(nogi) omote or something like that?...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #44
spinecracker

United_States

This was only a little bit funny, but mainly embarrassing.....I was training with my Sensei's wife, and part of the technique (forgotten which one....) was an uppercut to the chin. I swung my fist upwards, aiming diligently for her chin......but her boobs got in the way. She was a big girl in the boob department, and my hand smacked into them. Almost twisted my wrist! All she did was look at me and ask if groping was part of the technique!
Old 12-21-2004, 03:17 AM   #45
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Thomas Ambrose wrote:
Today we were doing a technique... I think it was Kata-dori-sankyo (not sure, still new!) and I was uke. I sort of stumbled and stubbed my big toe kinda bad on the mat. It made a very loud "pop" or "snap" sound as the toe bent down under my foot. Immediately everyone hearing the sound turned their heads.

My partner asked if I was ok, I said yes.

Sensei also asked if I was ok, and I said I was fine. It hurt pretty bad, but it was a pretty nasty stubbing, maybe a slight sprain, nothing too bad. I could still move it

Many years ago when I was a fresh faced newbie, only training about three weeks at the time. I can't remember the technique but I vividly remember my partner stepping forward into me as I was stepping forward, I stubbed my little toe against the front of his ankle. It felt a little painful, and looking down I could see my little toe was vertical at a rather odd angle

My immediate thoughts were how the hell was I going to get my shoe on to drive to hospital, and that even when I got there, it was going to bloody hurt putting it back after it had been swollen for a few hours (English NHS aint exactly the quickest service you know ). So biting the bullet so to speak, I dropped to my knee there on the mat and pushed hard!!!!

Feeling a little pale, I turned and asked Sensei if it was Ok to leave the mat whereby I promptly hobbled over to the bathroom, switched on the cold tap and stuck my foot in the sink for 10 minutes.

Not a form of treatment that I would advise

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #46
seank
Australia

My wife and I were partnered for our first saburi class during which we practiced "taking" a bokken from uke.

The technique was finished with a kokyu-nage and nage stepping through with the bokken firmly in hand.

I compliantly fell to the mat after being thrown, letting go of the bokken in the process, only to land on my back, with the hilt of the bokken following through to thwack me square in the forehead!

Sensei rushed across to see if I was okay, and asked whether this variation was intended to disable uke after they had been disarmed.... as if