Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-21-2003, 12:51 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: a4f8f9b0
Anonymous User
Training in Japan

I will be leaving for Japan very soon and hope to do some training while I am there. To any people that live, or have lived, and done any aikido training in Japan, what kind of differences can I expect to experience when compared to training in North America?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 02:24 AM   #2
darin
Where in Japan and for how long?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
And why in the Anonymous section.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
akiy

This thread has been moved from the Anonymous forum to the Training forum.

Please note that the Anonymous forum is intended for "delicate" subject matters for which people have a need or want to keep their identities from being revealed. I encourage people to keep this in mind before starting a thread in the Anonymous forum.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Johira
I'm also moving to Japan

This summer I'll be moving to Japan, and I hope to continue my Aikido training. Specifically, I'll be in Kure City, Hiroshima Prefecture.

I am a 5th-kyuu in the Kokon-ryu Aikido Renmei so I'm very much a beginner. The Kokon-ryu emphasizes ki to a large degree but also has some background in more physical styles. It has no schools in Japan, so I will need to study in a new style. I'm okay with that. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what sort of dojo I'm looking for or even how availible they are in that area for me to pick and choose from.

Should I ask the Shihan in my current school if he will write a recommendation for me? He does not speak or write any Japanese so I don't know if this would mean anything to any dojo I would seek to join in Japan. I am not fluent in Japanese but I do know some and have worked out with a Kendo club in a Japanese school for a semester, so I have a little experience learning a martial art in Japanese.

I guess I just am wondering what I should be looking for when I change dojos and countries, since I am very new to the art but know I want to stick with it for the long term.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Hey all. As for coming to japan, I wouldn't worry too much about finding something. When you move, look for the local gym/ budokan. They'll usually have a sensei coming in from a home dojo once or twice a week.

I also wouldn't worry about an introduction letter unless you were planning to study the same style. While some people do speak English, if you're in the boonies, its a rare miracle.

You could also ask around. Martial arts here is kinda like playing baseball in the states. Everyone has probably done at least a little, if only in gym class (the school I work at here has kids doing judo and kendo as part of P.E.... I'm so jealous)

If you're really lost, look in the phonebook (I'm assuming you know the kanji for Aikido and Budo).
Old 05-30-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: I'm also moving to Japan

Quote:
Jon Otto (Johira) wrote:
This summer I'll be moving to Japan, and I hope to continue my Aikido training. Specifically, I'll be in Kure City, Hiroshima Prefecture.

I am a 5th-kyuu in the Kokon-ryu Aikido Renmei so I'm very much a beginner. The Kokon-ryu emphasizes ki to a large degree but also has some background in more physical styles. It has no schools in Japan, so I will need to study in a new style. I'm okay with that. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what sort of dojo I'm looking for or even how availible they are in that area for me to pick and choose from.

Should I ask the Shihan in my current school if he will write a recommendation for me? He does not speak or write any Japanese so I don't know if this would mean anything to any dojo I would seek to join in Japan. I am not fluent in Japanese but I do know some and have worked out with a Kendo club in a Japanese school for a semester, so I have a little experience learning a martial art in Japanese.

I guess I just am wondering what I should be looking for when I change dojos and countries, since I am very new to the art but know I want to stick with it for the long term.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Hello,

The organization I belong to (Aikikai) does not have a dojo in Kure, but other organizations might have. Kure is a famous naval base and perhaps the Marine Self-defence Force has a dojo, but I doubt whether it is open to the general public. So, there is a good chance that you might have to travel to Hiroshima or to Mihara/Onomichi. In addition, the time you have available for training might well depend on your job.

My e-mail address is in my profile, so please feel free to communicate with me privately if you wish.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-04-2003, 12:03 AM   #8
Adrian Smith

I've been training in Aikikai for five months now in Yokosuka, so yes, I'm still a beginner. If you're interested in finding a dojo to train in this style you can check http://www.aikikai.or.jp/ for the Hombu Dojo's website. There are some English language pages there that might be of help.

Alternatively you can try the Yoshinkan Hombu dodo English language website at http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org/arch_content/01_home.

Good luck!

-Adrian