Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Question Identification of Aikido forms in other martial art system?

Greetings all, I have come across this short video and at 0.31 through to 0.44 she does three knife disarms, this looks like Aikido to me but due to my limited knowledge of forms past the first and second in Aikido I can not place it and am wondering if anyone in here may recognize what it is?

The other question that I have is that at 1:21 a chap produces a pistol and she is able to disarm the pistol from the chap using her marital arts training, do you know if this kind of training against guns is included the Aikido curriculum? I know that we do knife attacks, but am not sure about firearms defenses?

http://youtu.be/QNmhKcFjbkg
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia
Re: Identification of Aikido forms in other martial art system?

Ben,

If you look into the history of Hapkido, you'll see the founder supposedly studied Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu with Takeda (so shares those roots with Aikido) and that Hapkido is a korean version of Daito-Ryu. I vaguely remember their is some controversy about this, that there is some doubt about whether a Korean would have been allowed to study with Takeda at the time and I don't think his name appears on a roll, so I say supposedly but I think the roots seem to be obviously there somehow. I could be corrected about that

Equivalent Aikido forms in the video, I'd say: the first looks like sankyo and then kote geashi and finally something like a shiho nage variation. Later is sankyo again and kote geashi with the gun.

As for guns, I've never trained gun disarming in Australia, but in the USA, with guns more common, I have done a little here. Remember though you may train tanto, sword and jo disarming in the dojo, but this could easily be a broken bottle, lump of wood or bar stool, any weapon from a few inches to a few feet long really. I had one sensei tell me that in his Shodan tests, his sensei was feeling particularly adventurous and bought out a shotgun and made him do disarming techniques, unloaded of course ... I hope .

Want some real fun, if you have a naginata handy try doing some disarming, naginata dori, with that. Talk about adjusting your ma-ai and irimi!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

I think the last Pistol disarm 1:21 is Gokyu then Kote Gaeshi.

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-26-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Motto tsuyoku
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Cliff Judge
Japan

Aikido really doesn't have any original waza. Anything you might see that "looks effective" in and of itself, particularly, has been done before in other systems.

What is interesting if you look at older jujutsu systems and such from the perspective of Aikido's basic waza is that you might be looking at three or four techniques in the other system, that a practitioner of that system might not regard as being the same thing, but in Aikido they are all slight variations of ikkyo, for example, or kotegaeshi.

Kotegaeshi in particular is absolutely omnipresent across multiple cultures and systems. It seems like as soon as we learned to chisel stones to have a sharp edge, we learned to take the slack out of that hand, move to where the other hand can't hit us, and break the arm or throw the person.

I can't dig up a citation right now but I think the idea that the founder of Hapkido trained with Takeda has been pretty much shown to be false.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

As Cliff points out there are no techniques that are uniquely aikido although as a body you can say aikido or judo or ....

Gun disarms as a kata I can think of Judo's Goshin Kata but that itself has a strong aikido influence via Tomiki. Strangely I always disliked this kata mainly due to the glacial speed of how Judo kata tend to be performed. I saw it recently at speed and it looked good.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Greetings all, I have come across this short video and at 0.31 through to 0.44 she does three knife disarms, this looks like Aikido to me but due to my limited knowledge of forms past the first and second in Aikido I can not place it and am wondering if anyone in here may recognize what it is?

The other question that I have is that at 1:21 a chap produces a pistol and she is able to disarm the pistol from the chap using her marital arts training, do you know if this kind of training against guns is included the Aikido curriculum? I know that we do knife attacks, but am not sure about firearms defenses?

http://youtu.be/QNmhKcFjbkg
I am curious about what you mean by the first and second forms of aikido. Ikkyo, ikkajo, nikkyo, nikkajo? All can refer to different things between aikido and other Japanese aiki styles. Can you describe these forms and maybe tell us about your experience with aikido? Style and length of time training?

On one level, weapon disarms are just weapon disarms. Why is a fake knife any different than a fake gun, but what are the similarities and differences in dealing with (real) knife vs (real) gun vs naginata vs a jab vs a kick? What I am getting at is that aikido might not be a collection of techniques but a toolbox of concepts. Like Millsy said, ma-ai and irimi are good things to think about. Much better in my opinion than thinking about how to do kotegaeshi, or "the first technique".
Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

She used her marital training? Wow, I feel for her husband

Honestly, there is only so many things that he human body can do, so yes, different martial arts tend to overlap each other. You are right, it looks a lot like Aikido.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Smile Re: Identification of Aikido forms in other martial art system?

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I am curious about what you mean by the first and second forms of aikido.
I think he is referring to being a 3 Kyu like me. I am currently learning this knife disarm for my 2 Kyu grading.

Motto tsuyoku
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Sojourner
Australia

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
I am curious about what you mean by the first and second forms of aikido. Ikkyo, ikkajo, nikkyo, nikkajo? All can refer to different things between aikido and other Japanese aiki styles. Can you describe these forms and maybe tell us about your experience with aikido? Style and length of time training?
Hi Krystal, I have trained in Aikido for around 9 months now, I am a white belt and I have never taken a grading in Aikido, my training has been interrupted twice by surgeries for me and my daughter. My background is that I formerly trained in Krav Maga and I made the decision 9 months ago to leave Krav training and move to Aikido, it is a long story, but essentially I had become concerned that Krav training was changing my personality and Aikido came across my pathway and I began to study the philiosphies of O Sensei and it just clicked with me and I realised that Aikido was where I needed to be and its a decision I do not regret one bit to this day. I dont dislike Krav its just that the door for Krav has closed and I have moved on to Aikido.

That said I find Aikdo really difficult at times, it is very hard not to muscle through the techniques and to rely on strength rather than correct technique as a default position, my Sensei recognizes this and has put me onto "Tai Sabaki" with a broom handle and instructions about being "Centered" and this is really starting to help as I work on using that as the basis for the required forms.

In terms of the first grading they are looking for the first two forms, I gather that there are 20+ forms in Aikido, so this is grabs to the right hand and left hand if that makes any sense? The grabs are then repelled with Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Yonkyo, Techinage, Shionage, Kaitenage, Iriminage and Kotegashi (spelling is mine from memory) Gokyo is demonstrated but not taught at this level.

I find that the first set I can just about manage okay, but when I have to change arms I tend to get confused, yet I recognize that it is all about practice and I have seen some good improvements over the time that I have been there. The Dojo also teaches Atemi-Jujitsu as well as Aikido and students are generally graded in both. So practice nights will contain both Aikido training as well as time spent training in Atemi Jujitsu.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
In terms of the first grading they are looking for the first two forms, I gather that there are 20+ forms in Aikido, so this is grabs to the right hand and left hand if that makes any sense? The grabs are then repelled with Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Yonkyo, Techinage, Shionage, Kaitenage, Iriminage and Kotegashi (spelling is mine from memory) Gokyo is demonstrated but not taught at this level.
It sounds like your style of aikido (or maybe association or your dojo) is formalizing sequences of attacks and techniques in a way that other styles don't -- they're all a little different, and insofar as a style or association considers an attack-defense to be a kata or form, I'm sure they all use different numbers for them. That's a long-winded way of saying that we don't really know what you mean by "first two forms". I train at a Birankai dojo, and Birankai uses a combination of the attack name (katatedori aihanmi, katatedori gyakuhanmi, ryotedori, etc.) and the waza name (ikkyo, nikkyo, whatever). Thus, "katatedori aihanmi ikkyo" would be how a test criterion would be specified for us -- there aren't any numbers. Each association has its own criteria for testing, so it's not just the terminology that is different, it's the stuff the terminology refers to as well.