Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Swords, the "real deal"

Hey, guys, since the other side of my life away from Aikido is firmly filled with sharp pointy objects called nihonto, I feel I should make an announcement that the Midwest Token Kai is this upcoming weekend, May 2-4, 2008, at the Shaumberg Marriott (basically Chicago). Tons of "real" Japanese swords on tables. Ranging from rusted, entry level old things to nearly priceless swords that are near flawless, often over 800 years old. I'll be there with a table with a few things on display. But I go mainly for the "side shows". I don't know the details yet of most of the displays, but I'm bringing a large number of cross sectioned antiques that I just finished etching and photographing for the show. My partner in my moderntosho.com project is doing some of the presentation on those and I've heard rumors of some nice ichimonji blades to be on display as well. They also tend to have martial arts demos at this show with the Kendo guys whacking each other really hard.

So if you're in that neighborhood, come on by and introduce yourself. I'd be happy to show anyone around the show and help you get the chance to look at some really nice swords if you're so inclined.

And if you want to see a cool example of the cross sections I'm bringing (showing various ways swords were constructed but also showing how "tired" blades look from the "inside out"), I'll attach a teaser image of a very interesting blade.

We always say that Aikido movements are based on the sword. We all have our bokken collections. Come on, admit it, how many of you have dreamed of getting a real one? Or at least seeing a few in person. There is a world of difference between the real deal and production swords most end up with. Come see some blades with history...

You can learn more in 1 minute holding a real nihonto in good polish than you will reading books and websites for the rest of the year... If for nothing else just to see a few really nice swords. And maybe even pick up a sword worth more than a luxury car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample14.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	481  

Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Swords, the "real deal"

Keith,

Are you planning on the show in SFRAN this summer? I'm thinking about making the trip as I've attended twice before and really enjoyed it.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Keith,

Are you planning on the show in SFRAN this summer? I'm thinking about making the trip as I've attended twice before and really enjoyed it.
I'm always at San Francisco. Brought my wife and daughter last year and we made it a sort of mini vacation. I drive up from the Los Angeles area. But yes, I'm always there...

Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Thanks for the cross-section keith.
Is that from a sword or smaller thing?
I like the use of basically three steels there, with an interesting lamination of laminates for the two side pieces over the softer core.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

I'd absolutely love to go, but fortunately it's too far away. I say fortunately because my son would like to go to college someday, and he certainly won't be able to if his mommy keeps feeding her steel habit!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Thanks for the cross-section keith.
Is that from a sword or smaller thing?
I like the use of basically three steels there, with an interesting lamination of laminates for the two side pieces over the softer core.
The construction complexity surprised me given the high shinogi (Yamato-den). Once the show is over I'm hoping to take the time to translate the mei's and document these more. But yes, it is katana sized. Cut about a half inch from the machi (which is where most of the samples I have are cut).

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Lori Snidow wrote: View Post
I'd absolutely love to go, but fortunately it's too far away. I say fortunately because my son would like to go to college someday, and he certainly won't be able to if his mommy keeps feeding her steel habit!
Hey, the Florida token kai is closer for you, that's in February every year...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

I would love to go (even just for the opportunity to see *real* nihonto), but money is a little tight for me right now.

Do you also come to the blade show in Atlanta? Because one of these days, I'm going to make it a point to go down there...

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Yabut wrote: View Post
Do you also come to the blade show in Atlanta?
I went one year a bunch of years ago. And I went to the "Blade Show West" out here before they destroyed that completely by moving it on a yearly basis. I even helped out one year with Bugei having a booth, but they stopped going as well.

Regardless, Blade Show is great if you're into production stuff because that's the overwhelming majority of what's there. I'm in that world too, of course, but my heart is in the antiques and full custom work. I probably should go again one of these years but with me doing 3 token kai a year (San Fran, Florida and Chicago), one aikido camp a year, an occasional Tai Kai, and doing an occasional presentation/lecture on swords here and there the family isn't always enthused to hear me start talking about yet another show. Not to mention wallet impact...

So unless I can find a way to convince the family that visiting Georgia in the summer is somehow a fun, family vacation, it ain't happening... And my wife heard the story of Tony Alvarez burning the bottoms off his tabi doing a tameshigiri demo outside one year. That didn't exactly make her want to pack up and come...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Better tabi than feet!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
dbotari
Canada

Keith,

I'm study iaido and kenjutsu. I'm getting to the point in my training where I am contemplating moving to shinken for my training. I was wondering, given your experience, what are the key things to look for when examining nihonto? I would like to get an antique nihonto at some point but am hesitant given my relative lack of knowledge and ability to judge quality. How do you distinguish a quality nihonto 9an one worth investing in) from a crappy wanna be or one too far gone (too damaged) to be used in iaido training?

If you could point to a source or provide some key pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
Keith,

I'm study iaido and kenjutsu. I'm getting to the point in my training where I am contemplating moving to shinken for my training. I was wondering, given your experience, what are the key things to look for when examining nihonto? I would like to get an antique nihonto at some point but am hesitant given my relative lack of knowledge and ability to judge quality. How do you distinguish a quality nihonto 9an one worth investing in) from a crappy wanna be or one too far gone (too damaged) to be used in iaido training?

If you could point to a source or provide some key pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan
Well, education is always key. Blade flaws such as hagiri, fukure, etc. can be very serious as they impact the integrity of the blade. The other side of the equation (often overlooked) is that mounts also need to be rock solid for training. Too often people will buy an antique that was listed as "good for iai training" only to get a decent blade in old mounts that aren't up to snuff in terms of mounting quality even for iai let alone tameshigiri. Rarely will you find an antique in old mounts that can be safely used for training. More likely than not you should have it remounted. So factor that cost in as well.

For most "newbs" I suggest finding someone in the "sword world" you trust and let them help guide you. Just like in every "collectable" world there are no shortage of folk ready to separate you from your money. "Sure, it would be great for training!" You need to find someone who actually knows about both worlds of antiques and usage. And let them help you find that blade for you.

But as always, the best place to start is at something like a sword show. Walk the floor, pick up blades, and ask questions. And if you have someone there who knows what they're doing, ask them to spend some time with you explaining why one might not be a good choice while another might be much better.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
I'm study iaido and kenjutsu. I'm getting to the point in my training where I am contemplating moving to shinken for my training.
I've had similar thoughts as well. I have a decent little iaito, but everything else is along the Paul Chen/Hanwei line. I never could decide if I wanted to try to find something functional in an older blade or to have something commissioned from one of the younger smiths. My problem so far is that most of what I have seen from reliable sources has been a tad too long for my comfort (I'm best with a 2-3-0 to 2-3-5). Keith, any thoughts on pros/cons of commissioned versus older in the current market?