Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Ali Raja

Norway
Aikido club which is located near or far?

If you had to choose between a Aikido club which is located just about 700 meters away (8 minutes walk) from your apartment or a Aikido Club which is located 54 minutes away from your apartment by bus. Which would you choose? and why?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
PuppyDoggie
Canada
Re: Aikido club which is located near or far?

I would choose an Aikido club nearby (more like ~35 minutes walk away).
The other nearest Aikido club would be ~30 minutes away by bus (guesstimating ~3 hours to walk), which isn't feasible in my current circumstances anymore.

My choice mainly came down to one big reason:
The people who attend that nearby club.
Everyone practices safely and many are very friendly. If they weren't, then I would have left Aikido ages ago. I've made three good friends there since I started and I'm very happy that I ended up staying. I'm hoping they stay too!
I had (and still have) a relatively crazy busy lifestyle, so it's not practical for me to go too far away
Old 06-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

The bus ride is only slightly longer than my drive to the dojo where I train, which also happens to be the closest one to me. So, in my mind your decision should come down to other factors:

1. Are the dojo members friendly, welcoming, and sincere? Do they want to train with you and vice versa?
2. If you have prior experience in Aikido, does it matter to you if your rank carries over? Does the affliation of either dojo matter to you?
3. Does the style of instruction mesh with your style of learning?
4. Does the style of aikido match what you are seeking? Physicality vs. spirituality, for example.
5. Do the two dojos seem friendly toward one another? If you are a member at one, would the other allow you to simply pay a mat fee to train for a day (like on a day where first is closed)?
6. If either of the dojos are "rough and tumble", does the instructor teach good ukemi to make it survivable? (Do those ranked at least 4th Kyu usually exhibit good ukemi?) Do they do well in adjusting their techniques to make it survivable for total beginners?
7. Is there a cost difference in membership between the two. Can you reasonably afford the higher cost one?

Anyway, these are just some of the questions I would consider in making the decision, the choice is yours to make.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #4
Ali Raja

Norway

Very interesting answers.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

I'm with James. I've never been closer to a dojo than a 30 minute commute (when absolutely everything was going right). I'd choose the dojo that is the better fit over one that's more convenient.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
zak riley
Dojo: kuraikan
United Kingdom

If there was a club near with a first dan instructor and a club 30 minutes away with a 6th dan instructor
I would go check out the nearest club with the 1st dan instructor if he was a good instructor and I enjoyed it I would train at the nearest club
All though it be good to get some training off high ranks occasionally on seminars
Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
StephanS

Dojo: Enighet
Sweden

Go to the dojo where you like the training more!
(If you're hardcore, you can move to whereever the dojo is you like best.)

Old 06-25-2018, 06:11 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Isaac Riley wrote: View Post
If there was a club near with a first dan instructor and a club 30 minutes away with a 6th dan instructor
I would go check out the nearest club with the 1st dan instructor if he was a good instructor and I enjoyed it I would train at the nearest club
All though it be good to get some training off high ranks occasionally on seminars
Do you really think 30 minutes is a long time to travel to get to a dojo?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
PuppyDoggie
Canada
Smile Re: Aikido club which is located near or far?

If it's just 30 minutes away, I'd go to that one too in addition to the nearest one! I'm assuming their times do not overlap

After a while, I'd do what Stephan suggests:
Quote:
Stephan Schröder wrote: View Post
Go to the dojo where you like the training more!
Old 06-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

In my experience people new to aikido choose based on location of the dojo and the times of the lessons. After that in priority comes the feel of the dojo and the people in it.
If you already know a little bit about aikido or martial arts in general you might choose based on the instructor. In fact I'd say the more experience you have the more likely you are to choose based on the instructor alone.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 AM   #11
MRoh
Germany

Quote:
Ali Raja wrote: View Post
If you had to choose between a Aikido club which is located just about 700 meters away (8 minutes walk) from your apartment or a Aikido Club which is located 54 minutes away from your apartment by bus. Which would you choose? and why?
Strange question, it depends on so many factors, that nobody can tell who hasn't visited those two fictive dojos...
Old 06-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

To the OP: walk into each dojo, challenge the instructor, and train with the one who defeats you.....
Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
TomAiki

Dojo: ACNJ
United_States

Go to each dojo and feel them. Then decide which fells right to you and train.