Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #101
yosushi
Dojo: AFKA
France
Re: Aiki Doh's

I was not thinking much of how to tie our belts before this one...

During my nikkyu grading, my belt fell off.
My sensei was looking. My friends were looking.
Everybody was looking. I got lost in that thought
I didnt notice they were giving me friendly stare.

I didnt want to piss off the grading officer or my uke,
I had to finish demonstrating I knew the techniques,
I thought I`d better put my belt back really quickly !

Ah, I was stressed ! I tried once, twice, and could not put my belt
back. Really strange. What my hands had been doing automatically hundred of times,
they could not do.

I realised that my frantic efforts were not helping much,
and that I had completely forgotten how to tie my belt.
I realised I was stressed and should do something about it,
like ...listening to what my sensei had been telling me for so long...

I gave up on trying and trying with no result,
I took a good breath, and tied a big ugly knot,
with some of my belt still lying on the mat, and continued as if nothing had happened ( and trying not to step on my belt).
I felt much better ! ( and I did not trip over my belt ).

I finished...and passed.

Still hearing people remembering that day..."ah, you were the one with the belt..."

Have a good day !

Last edited by yosushi : 09-23-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Mispelling!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #102
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

LOL! That happened to me in judo class when I was nine. Except it was the teacher and he threw, not pinned, me.

Last edited by wideawakedreamer : 10-01-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Oos! I was replying to the post on the previous page about the guy's pants coming off.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #103
TeppoLeinonen
Finland
Talking Re: Aiki Doh's

Quote:
Rafael Ayala wrote: View Post
Last year I was practicing kaitenage with this kawaii Japanese girl who I had asked out earlier that day (she said "yes"). At that time, we were both 5th kyu students just trying to learn the correct form and motion of the technique. So we did it step by step. As in, #1: Nage steps to the side and forward, away from the line of attack; #2: Nage does this and that; and so on and so forth.

Finally we got to the part just before I was supposed to throw her. She bent down, ready to roll forward as soon as I "threw" her. As soon as I began to step forward into the throw, she started her roll.

Unfortunately she never got to complete it because I accidentally stepped on her hair, effectively stopping her movement and causing her to cry out in pain. I apologized profusely and asked if she was ok.

For a moment, I was afraid that

a.) our date was officially over before it even started

or

b.) we still had a date, but the accident was an ill omen foretelling a disaster of some sort.

Thankfully, neither scenario happened. We still went out after practice and really hit it off.

We're getting married next year, btw.
Okay, now this brings up two questions from me.

1) Wasn't it the kids, not the prospective boyfriend who were supposed to tear the hair from a girl?

2) You don't call getting married an 'impending disaster'? Especially since your wife-to-be knows how to apply wrist locks... And might still hold a grudge...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #104
wideawakedreamer

Philippines

Yeah well, I've been practicing and she hasn't.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #105
aikiborrago
Dojo: eastern ki federation(boone nc shin shin toitsu)/aikido schools of ueshiba(nashville tn aikikai)
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Aiki Doh's

the first time i met david shaner sensei i was rather nervous. We were all standing in our line as he was walking down the ranks talking about keeping one point with weight underside. As he got closer to me i started saying to myself "gotta keep onepoint....do good one point for sensei". i could see in the mirrors that he had stopped right behind me and was looking at me with a smile on his face.
"keep good onepoint for sensei...can't look bad". He just chuckled reached out with one hand laid it gently on my shoulder dropped the weight and i SLAMED on the mat.

he laughed and went on with the lesson.

not really embarrassing....more ironic......but still funny
Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #106
Grant McD
Dojo: Yudan Nashi Kan, Glasgow (several locations)
Scotland

The second week of the new semester this year (2nd year of uni) was when I discovered that getting to my Aikido class (in the west end of Glasgow, approx an hour away from home by various modes of transport) was MURDER, fortunatley my parents were going part of the way (dad was going to the big match that was on - causing more hastle for part of my route...) so start off late... ten minutes into the journey - Grant realises he's forgot his weapons - too late now, have to keep going, but that's ok..

I buy water from a shop, go to put it in my bag on the subway... no Gi top, now have a problem. Got to the dojo, explain to my sensei and he tells me I can come on with my T-shirt (had gi bottoms) I'm a student, Wednesday is an early start I chuck on what comes to hand - I was wearing a spoof T-shirt, with Ozzie on the front, blood dripping from his face as he holds a decapitated bat, giving a one fingered salute to the world ... thank God the class was small.....

Never will you get a more patronising look than when you try Aikido on a cat...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #107
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden

Quote:
Grant McDaid wrote: View Post
The second week of the new semester this year (2nd year of uni) was when I discovered that getting to my Aikido class (in the west end of Glasgow, approx an hour away from home by various modes of transport) was MURDER, fortunatley my parents were going part of the way (dad was going to the big match that was on - causing more hastle for part of my route...) so start off late... ten minutes into the journey - Grant realises he's forgot his weapons - too late now, have to keep going, but that's ok..

I buy water from a shop, go to put it in my bag on the subway... no Gi top, now have a problem. Got to the dojo, explain to my sensei and he tells me I can come on with my T-shirt (had gi bottoms) I'm a student, Wednesday is an early start I chuck on what comes to hand - I was wearing a spoof T-shirt, with Ozzie on the front, blood dripping from his face as he holds a decapitated bat, giving a one fingered salute to the world ... thank God the class was small.....

I would've gone with a white Tshirt, but hey that's just me

Erik

Just give me your wrist!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #108
Grant McD
Dojo: Yudan Nashi Kan, Glasgow (several locations)
Scotland

lol, I learned my lesson - have a class tonight and wearing a white T-shirt with nothing (potentially) embarassing or offensive lol.

Never will you get a more patronising look than when you try Aikido on a cat...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #109
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

I wear a martial-arts related shirt under my gi jacket. I've accumulated some Aikido-related shirts (big disappointment: No t-shirts for sale at summer camp when I was there. ), the rest are related to the JKD universe --either Sifu Kevin Seaman, his students, instructors, or instructors' instructors.

One week in September when it was kind of hot and humid, I was all set to wear a long-sleeved Inosanto Academy t-shirt I'd bought in Queens back in March, but it was so hot I thought I would die with that under my gi jacket. So I switched to the only light white MA t-shirt I have ..... which is also from the Inosanto Academy. (I have a white shirt from Harvey Konigsberg Sensei's dojo, but it feels a little heavier than the other one.) I make a point of wearing an Aikido shirt to local seminars, though.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #110
HarlieG
Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States

I have one....it's not me, but a friend/student of mine....so I can tell it....

We were at the Spring Seminar in Montreal and Yamada Sensei was teaching. We were doing some big throw, and my friend (3rd kyu) was in a group with me, and the group was mostly black belts. It was his turn to throw and Yamada was standing next to our group watching....he had been struggling with the throw, but he got his act together while Yamada was watching, and pulled off a pretty good throw.

Yamada Sensei said "That was perfect" and started to turn away....and as he turned, my friend (who had been trying to hang on to a beautiful zanshin pose) fell over. Yamada turned back and said "except for that part."

Priceless!

HarlieG
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #111
Angela Dunn
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee/Billingham
England

Last national course I attended. Rolling into the head of the organisation after being thrown by someone else really high up in the organisation. Thankfully he stayed on his feet, I got up, appologised , again thankfully remembering his correct name only to trip over my own feet landing rather undignified. Got up, managed to stay on my feet this time and walked away momentarily in the wrong direction to where my uke was.

That was definitly a DOH moment.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #112
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

When I drive to class, I have my boken and jo on the back seat of my Chevy HHR because that has enough room for them, and the gi in a large backpack in the "trunk." When I go to Cornell, so security doesn't think I'm bringining in a rifle, I have the weapons in the long pocket of my Kali weapons bag. It's awkward to lug on my shoulder because of where the center of gravity ends up, but it works.

Thursday night, when I got to the parking garage, after parking, I got the weapons out of the back seat, walked around the back, opened the lift gate, got out my backpack, slung it on, and reached up to pull the gate closed. Thankfully, I did not do so very hard, because I did not realize that (A) the weapons bag was balanced on my toes; and (B) the top of my jo was lined up with the edge of the liftgate. But I found out when I brought the gate down and it bumped the jo, driving it down onto my shoe.

Ow.

Fortunately, the pain was minimal, and neither I nor my weapons were damaged. But it counts as an Aiki-D'Oh.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #113
AnniN
Dojo: Menai Ki Society
Finland
Talking Re: Aiki Doh's

Most of my aiki-dohs seem to be some form of accidental self-injury..

Doh#1: with the 1st bokken kata, swinging the bokken round and hitting myself in the kneecap...

Doh #2: in the 1st jo kata, embedding the end of the jo straight in my thigh when it was supposed to go past me big bruise

Doh#3: 2nd jo kata: the end of the jo got caught in my sleeve, it took me ages to free the jo and continue the kata. all this in front of the class

Doh#4: when I was doing some tantotori technique, can't remember which one, I threw my partner and also accidentally the tanto with it, it hit her in the head when she was rolling
Old 10-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #114
David Maidment
United Nations

Taking out two lightbulbs whilst practicing the 31 move jo kata. Mere seconds after being warned "watch the lights!". Thankfully this wasn't in the dojo.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #115
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada

Does tripping on your hakama during a public demonstration and falling backward as nage during Iriminage count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrylhtH3tjE

Enjoy!

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #116
Akako110

Dojo: Bend Aiki martial arts: Takayama dojo
United_States

One time during weapons class, we were warming up with the Jo and we were swining it back and forth when I hit myself in the head with the butt-end of my own Jo! I was glade that sensei and all of the other senpai's (except one) didn't see... though one senpai was laughing so hard that he almost hit the senpai next to him!

"Here's to a long life and a merry one
A quick death and an easy one
A pretty girl and an honest one
A cold beer and another one!"
-Irish Saying
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #117
wideawakedreamer

Philippines

I've done that myself a few times, both with jo and the bokken. Thankfully, no one has noticed yet. I think.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #118
Jason Morgan
Dojo: Santa Fe College Aikido Club
United_States

We were practicing tantodori one day. The technique was a gokkyo against a "psycho stab" I believe. It begins with nage entering with a deflection against the knife wielding arm that is also an atemi to uke's temple. So my uke comes down with his strike and I perform the deflection but uke's grip is too loose on the wooden tanto. The tanto flies out of uke's hand and wham, slams right into my forehead.

Later during the same class we are practicing Tai-Otoshi. It was my turn as uke and somehow my partner and the other two people in class synch up the throws perfectly. The other uke and I are thrown at the exact same time and in such a way that we slam headfirst into each other and knock heads fairly hard. Of course I have to pop up and say "It's just my head that got hit, nothing important."
Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #119
Rob Watson
United_States

During 2kyu test I threw uke into the wall knocking off many old photos that hang there.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #120
wideawakedreamer

Philippines

More than once I've been thrown so close to O sensei's picture that my foot was mere inches away from hitting it. Why can't we just hang the damn shomen on the wall? Oh right, the wall is a mirror.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #121
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Once while going through the 20 jo suburi the jo came flying out of my hand and took a rather large chunk out of a pillar.

The jo didn't have a mark on it.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #122
Walter Martindale
Canada

Guests, practicing at Hiroshima police dojo. WHERE'S MY OBI?
in the suitcase. in the hotel. "sensei, I left my white belt in the hotel, I'm stupid, can I borrow a white belt from somewhere?" - so I go through the session with someone's spare black belt...
W
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #123
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

That would make me very uncomfortable! In my old dojo, we used to do that to lower rangers who thought they knew everything. We made them put on someones black belt and the black belt wore the lower rankers belt. They soon found out that they weren't ready for a black belt and didn't appreciate being treated like a black belt.

Your situation is completely different, but I would still be embarassed and feel uncomfortable. Not to mention, at that dojo, if you forgot your belt for a class, you got demoted to a lower belt for a month. That's what is so great about being a white belt or a black belt. You can't get any lower then white right!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #124
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
That would make me very uncomfortable! In my old dojo, we used to do that to lower rangers who thought they knew everything. We made them put on someones black belt and the black belt wore the lower rankers belt. They soon found out that they weren't ready for a black belt and didn't appreciate being treated like a black belt.

Your situation is completely different, but I would still be embarassed and feel uncomfortable. Not to mention, at that dojo, if you forgot your belt for a class, you got demoted to a lower belt for a month. That's what is so great about being a white belt or a black belt. You can't get any lower then white right!
Oh, I was embarassed all right. I had been practicing for 10 years at the time and hadn't "graded" for a number of reasons (changing dojos several times, for one) but the sensei I was asking about borrowing a belt was the shihan for Canadian Aikido Fed. He laughed and handed me the borrowed black belt and said something along the lines of "it's OK, wear it today" when I protested that I was only nikyu and shouldn't be wearing a black belt...
Walter
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #125
Jesse Legon
Dojo: Shodokan Honbu, Osaka (Ittaikan Brighton/Central London SA)
Japan

LOL @ the poor guy given a black belt to borrow! I would have been MORTIFIED!

I have heard about an incident at our dojo when in class a gokyu would not shut up and kept making comments and the sensei took off his belt and held it out to him saying 'here, take it'.

Obviously the gokyu instantly shut up, but jeeeez, how embarrassing for the poor guy!