Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-20-2004, 04:52 AM   #26
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Good Hakama Gone Bad

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
My dream is that one day I shall wear a Hawian print hakama .
Umm, My wife Emily HAS a Hawaiian print hakama. It's rather fetching.

As for hakama of various colors, that's pretty traditional, really. The uniformity thing is fairly new.

Watch any budo embu in Japan and you'll see pinstriped haks, green, blue, brown, white ...

White dogi and dark hak as a combination is rather modern and not very traditional a'tall.

Chuck

Old 05-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #27
Robyn Johnson

United_States

Wow! The only hakama colors in Aikido that I have ever heard of was black or navy blue! Purple, Green, red-white-&blue, and Hawaiian Print!!! I can't imagine what it must look like! If anybody has a picture of these hakamas (especially the Hawaiian one) or has a link to some pictures, I'd be very interested in seeing them. Thanks!

Robyn
Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #28
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Does this count?

Bronson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hak.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	179  

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-21-2004, 03:09 AM   #29
Orihime
Dojo: Sei Shin Kai (Compiègne)

Wow, I want the same one!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 05:59 AM   #30
Daniel-san
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
Australia

So in my Aikido class, there is an elderly japanese woman who is 2nd Kyu but trained in Japan many many years ago. She stands at around 4'4 and her hakama is so incredibly tiny It would fit my 4 year old nephew. It's just so funny to see. It was custom made by her to suit her rather small stature.
*snickers*
Old 06-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #31
arachnoJill
Dojo: Mushin dojo
United_States

I can't stop laughing at the image of a "little hobo samurai."
Old 07-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #32
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center

How 'bout the good hakama worn bad? I guess this is the comedy central of hakama stories so... My Sensei asked me to wear a hakama (I was 1st kyu, not eligible for hakama at our dojo) to teach outside the dojo at a neighborhood school. The first day, he showed me how to wraptietuckwraptiewraptuckwraptietuck the thing, got me dressed and sent me out lookin' good. The next week, he wasn't there to help me. I stepped in, did the whole tiewrapwraptietuckwrap thing as I was calling out test prep requirements for a kid. I finished up as we got to forward rolls, which she muffed. "No," I said "like this.." where upon I did this mermaid style roll, my legs being joined together in one side of the hakama. Should my Sensei have mentioned that you put one foot in each side? How was I to know? I then very gracefully wiggled to my feet and hopped off to get re-situated while the other teacher covered for me. I can't be the only person ever to have done that, right? Probly most people make the same mistake, right? Well, now I know!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:44 PM   #33
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

Melissa, that is one of the funniest MA stories I have ever read.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #34
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Melissa, I gotta ask:

How did you even make it to the MAT???

I'll admit to the "both legs in one side" thing, but there was no ability to walk! /snicker

Old 08-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #35
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center

Well, making it onto the mat carrying the hakama was easy, getting off was less graceful.

My other funny hakama story involves me taking my 2nd kyu test. Sensei switched Uke's, then asked for sankyo from shomenuchi and I did aiyumioshi then an Iwama style shoulder to Uke's shoulder grip change. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that the new guy had no pants on under his hakama, just the "tighty whities". When testing, one must be prepared for the unexpected. I didn't laugh, I didn't lose my cool. I may have pinned that sankyo a bit harder than usual is all. The next thing my Sensei called for was, of course yet another uke.
( Found out later that he had cut old gi pants off into shorts which then did the bunch up thing, so it wasn't what it looked like. I'm always going to wear long pants, oh, and put one leg in each side too!)
Old 08-05-2004, 02:51 AM   #36
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

One of the guys in my dojo will sometimes threaten to start wearing rainbow colored hakama pants to class to distract and unnerve uke's so he can do techniques better. I can only hope that he never follows through with his threat.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #37
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

I've said it before, but one day I'm gonna make myself a hakama with Bob the builde fabric... my kids would just LOVE that )

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-07-2004, 11:42 PM   #38
Robert Cheshire

Dojo: Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
United_States

One of our kyu ranked females says she wants to get her shodan so she can wear Strawberry Shortcake Hakama.

Robert Cheshire
Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
www.yoseikanbudo.us
Old 08-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #39
amberlee
United_States

I would love to have a curious george hakama
Old 09-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #40
Emily Fine
Dojo: Aikido Academy, Community Center
United_States

Life will be good for me when I see a striped or polka dot hakama, the two colours of which clashing terribly. THAT would be awesome.

~Emily
Old 10-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #41
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

good stuff y'all.

this redneck ex-judoka feels like he's wearing a stankin' skirt every time he puts it on. i love aikido and wish to show respect, so i put the (&&(*ing thing on, and keep it clean, and tie a pretty knot in it.
i can't make myself fold it after class though - cuz i keep it hung up on my back porch (to blow the stank off'n it). some day they'll make me fold it.

worst or funniest i ever saw was actually one sensei wearing day-glo green tiger striped lycra cycling shorts underneath. you could only see them occasionally and you weren't sure you could trust your eyes. when asked, sensei said this was 'advanced atemi'. smart-ass!

billybob
Old 11-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #42
roninja

Dojo: UCO Budo Society/ Eye of the Storm
United_States

Quote:
budo child wrote:
Its so sad to see people who take longer to get ready before and after keiko than they spend on the mat. Some people are more interested in looking good on the mat rather than training hard. it should take no longer than 5 min to get on a gi hak and obi any longer is pathetic and belongs in some camp clothes boutque. yes its important to keep the folds but learn to do it quickly or if no time WHO CARES . The standard of your hak has nowt to do with your abilty
pathetic? I don't wear hakama for Aikido training because I am not a Shodan, but I am a Buddhist and have found the occasion (whilst practicing Japanese Zen) where I would be wearing Hakama and Kimono, and the Hakama Alone take, on my fastest day, three minutes to put on. Is that Pathetic? I was never late for class, and having taken the time to put my Hakama on properly and mindfully, I was not in a rushed state of mind to enter the Zendo.

As for my dogi, Changing and and folding takes me at least three minutes. Now add a hakama in there and it's going to take a little bit longer.

and then there's the subject of self reflection for creating standards. Just because you can, and prefer to, rush into and out of your dogi does not make others "pathetic" for not doing such.

Where do you get off with such arrogance? You may have some rank in Aikido, fine, but I doubt you are THE authority on proper Dogi proceedures.

and having experienced the bits of japanese culture, that I have, and my spent time in Buddhism, I know that they are not rushed cultures. More time can be spent on the "formailites" than the actual practices themselves, because the formalities are part of the practices.

There is a famous saying "Cha'an (Zen) is not just sitting with your legs crossed, it is eating, sleeping, putting on oyur shoes, your shirt..." So as you can see, from this quote, preparation of dogi and the way you tend to it afterwards are also part of your training.

Also, it has been my experience that people who decide not to take the time to "look nice on the mat" do not train as hard either. I'm not SuperAikidoka, but I take the time to do it right and that gives me a sense of formality in practice.

Of coruse as one does somethign longer and longer they will get better and quicker at it, but for the beginner, like myself, preparations can take up into the ten minutes, and that's just fine. I've never been griped at for trying to learn how to do it right.

I can now fold my robes, after chanting and meditation, rather quickly, but when I first started it took me about six minutes, and it's only one article of clothing that you fold four times. there are people who can do it in 30 seconds.

Now I know I've probably gone rendundant with my stuff, but I don't know, such derogitory statements as "pathetic and belongs in some camp clothes boutque" really make me mad.

Anyway, I must go practice non aggrevation now
Amitofo

僕わ Joseph Dunkin
"Compassion is pure kindness
Wisdom is knowing the truth of dependent origin"
- Ven. Hsing Yun
Old 11-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #43
roninja

Dojo: UCO Budo Society/ Eye of the Storm
United_States

haha, rainbow striped hakama to throw off uke, I liek that. This must be the reason for all the other crazy designs. The worst pair hakama I've ever seen were some I wore for a kendo demo. My Sensei Loaned them to me so that I wouldn't be wearing a judo uniform and carrying a shinai. and all that was wrong with them was that they had a mall rip in the right knee. Anyway, I'm off. Thank for the laughs
Amitofo

僕わ Joseph Dunkin
"Compassion is pure kindness
Wisdom is knowing the truth of dependent origin"
- Ven. Hsing Yun
Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #44
shift99
Dojo: Heart of San Francisco Aikido
United_States

Ran across this the other day on the aikido faq (http://www.aikidofaq.com/misc/hakama.html)

"Shigenobu Okumura Sensei, "Aikido Today Magazine" #41

"When I was uchi deshi to O Sensei, everyone was required to wear a hakama for practice, beginning with the first time they stepped on the mat. There were no restrictions on the type of hakama you could wear then, so the dojo was a very colorful place. One saw hakama of all sorts, all colors and all qualities, from kendo hakama, to the striped hakama used in Japanese dance, to the costly silk hakama called sendai-hira. I imagine that some beginning student caught the devil for borrowing his grandfather's expensive hakama, meant to be worn only for special occasions and ceremonies, and wearing out its knees in suwariwaza practice. ... "

So I wonder how it came down to just blue or black?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #45
bryce_montgomery

United_States

I personally purchased a hakama from an online store and I accidentally ordered the wrong size...so now I'm the proud owner on a Japanese miniskirt! ...Yeah, everyone has told me I should send it back but I'm too lazy to go to some post office.

Bryce
Old 12-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #46
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Bryce Montgomery wrote:
I personally purchased a hakama from an online store and I accidentally ordered the wrong size...so now I'm the proud owner on a Japanese miniskirt! ...Yeah, everyone has told me I should send it back but I'm too lazy to go to some post office.

Bryce
Bryce, you should be able to sell it to some young kendo student since they must wear hakama too.

Rock
Old 12-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #47
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Emily Fine wrote:
Life will be good for me when I see a striped or polka dot hakama, the two colours of which clashing terribly. THAT would be awesome.
~Emily

Well here is a nice striped hakama!

http://bugei.com/product_606_detailed.htm

still pretty conservative though. only one type, though I seem to remember in their print catalogue that they had several styles of striped hakamas.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #48
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Does this count?

Bronson
Nice butt! Like the hakama too.

Rock
Old 12-15-2004, 01:19 AM   #49
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Hiroaki Izumi wrote:
Nice butt! Like the hakama too.
If only they were mine

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #50
The Molinjir
United_States

I once met a 2nd kyu who had accidentally bleached his hakama...