Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #26
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Talking

Well, first you find out if she's in New York or Washington. Her husband won't be a problem but the Secret Service will have to be taken care of ("Wild, Wild West" brand Sleeping Gas?). She's usually wearing a nice navy-colored pant suit - tailored somewhat wide in the hips - so most Aikido throws and joint locks should work quite well on her.

She'll probably be easy to find during the Democratic Convention in a few weeks, just wait near the photo journalists, if she can get in front of Chuck Shumer (hah!)

Last edited by dan guthrie : 04-03-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #27
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States
Re: Aikido VS supervillans???

hello, Dick Grayson... aka Nightwing aka the first Robin, he's an aikidoka. It says so on www.dccomics.com. Seems to work out just fine for him. Plus I bet that whole acrobat thing really helps him move from center and all.

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #28
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China

Quote:
p.s. yes I am being sarcastic.
Forget it then. I'm not answering or giving up ANY of my secrets. Jerk.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #29
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

I know the perfect hero to use Aikido, Pyslock from the x-men. She already uses her ninjutsu and psychic powers to combat super villain's, why not use Aikido too. With her ability to read people's minds and know how they are going to attack, she could be almost as good an Aikidoka as O-sensei ! Better looking too, he he. Plus Aikido would go along with the x-men's philosophy of not killing better then ninjutsu does.

p.s. if size does not matter, could the Silver surfer throw Galaxtis into a sun or something, that guys sucks.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #30
paw

Quote:
David Bell wrote:
hello, Dick Grayson... aka Nightwing aka the first Robin, he's an aikidoka. It says so on www.dccomics.com
Don't believe everything you read....I'll bet you can't find Nightwing performing aikido in his entire current comic book run (currently 99 issues).

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-18-2004, 05:08 AM   #31
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China

Quote:
p.s. if size does not matter, could the Silver surfer throw Galaxtis into a sun or something, that guys sucks.
Actually, size doesn't matter at all so as long as the Surfer gains enough momentum to smack Galactus. All the Surfer would have to do is go to the other side of the solar system, break out his slide rule, and after some choice calculations determine the best direction to take off in. Forget throwing, shomen ate the pig.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #32
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States

Quote:
I'll bet you can't find Nightwing performing aikido in his entire current comic book run (currently 99 issues).
You are right. I haven't seen too much aikido in the comics of his I've read (haven't read too many, though). I was hoping for more aikido, but alas, that is the way of things sometimes... I would have hoped that DC would have cared more about him. I understand that he isn't batty, but the "haven" needs a hero too.
Aside, I just got the copy of "A Knight in Bludhaven" g.novel! It's really cool.

Last edited by davidraybell : 11-19-2004 at 12:08 AM.

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 11-19-2004, 06:19 AM   #33
paw

That's it.....

GEEK ALERT!

Quote:
Eila Saarni wrote:
Oh what about Ryoga from Ranma 1/2?
Ryoga has no good qualities and is a punch/kick guy. Ranma owns him in every way imaginable, but most importantly, in character.

Quote:
Abasan wrote:
Actually, Batman, Daredevil and Iron fist are some examples of above average humans who use their extraordinary martial abilities to defeat supervillains.
Daredevil is superhuman. He has enhanced senses and radar sight.

Batman is a paragon. Given enough time to plan and prepare he can take out anyone. Batman has two victories over Superman that are in continunity, for crying out loud.

Iron Fist is good, but he ain't aikido....and you could argue that his "iron fist" is a superhuman power.

Quote:
Michael Cardwell wrote:
I know the perfect hero to use Aikido, Pyslock from the x-men.
Psylocke is dead. She isn't coming back....sorry Blame Chris Claremont.

Quote:
Michael Cardwell wrote:
An ant has a better chance of overturning a semi. Galactus eats worlds and gave Silver Surfer his power. The Silver Surfer exists on Galactus' whim.

Quote:
jesse lee wrote:
Plastic Man would be a real handful to deal with, with just Aikido. Plus just looking at him, I bet he trains in Aikido, bigtime.
Plastic Man has never trained aikido.

Quote:
davidraybell wrote:
I would have hoped that DC would have cared more about him. I understand that he isn't batty, but the "haven" needs a hero too
Bludhaven is currently being protected by Tim Drake (the current Robin) and Cassandra Cain (the current Batgirl).

As for Nightwing, Chuck Dixon's run on Nightwing isn't bad, but it isn't great. Devin Grayson, the current writer, has destroyed Nightwing completely and I'd strongly recommend not reading anything she has written...which means issues #73 ish - current.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 AM   #34
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

Psylock is dead? Now where have I heard that before. Crimson dawn anyone? And we all know that comic book chacators are never brought back from the dead. And I do blame Chris Claremont, for a good many things!

I know the Surfer could not do it, I just thought it would be poetic justice if he was the one who offed Galaxtus. Frankly I do not care who does it, just someone please take him out.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #35
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Aikido was used in the hero-satire "Temps" (short stories) to trap the psychic familiar of a brand new sorcerer - it was only when the hero relaxed that he could get a purchase on his otherwise intangible foe.

[geek question]

Hold on, I thought galacticus had already been defeated by the fab four years ago by making him eat a planet populated by people who were essentially just hot air in the brain department...

Anyway, ranma rules, but I'm still puzzled why he thinks it a curse...
Old 11-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #36
paw

Quote:
Michael Cardwell wrote:
Psylock is dead? Now where have I heard that before. Crimson dawn anyone? And we all know that comic book chacators are never brought back from the dead. And I do blame Chris Claremont, for a good many things!
Psylocke died in X-treme X-Men #2...and yes, we saw the body.

The current editor in chief, Joe Quesada has said that "dead is dead" in the Marvel Universe now, and indications are he's sticking to it. So, chances are not good that she'll be brought back, which is a shame. Psylocke was a great character that got continually abused.

Quote:
Michael Cardwell wrote:
I know the Surfer could not do it, I just thought it would be poetic justice if he was the one who offed Galaxtus. Frankly I do not care who does it, just someone please take him out.
The only things capable of taking out Galactus are capable of taking the rest of the universe as well. Galactus is going to be around for a long, long time.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 07:30 AM   #37
paw

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
Hold on, I thought galacticus had already been defeated by the fab four years ago by making him eat a planet populated by people who were essentially just hot air in the brain department...

Anyway, ranma rules, but I'm still puzzled why he thinks it a curse...
Re: Galactus....defeated ain't dead.

Re: Ranma.....He's been raised by an abusive father who has taught him to hate all things feminine and his mother, a certified nut job, will force him to kill himself if he's not "manly" enough. Under those circumstances, it's definitely a curse!

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 07:43 AM   #38
Zato Ichi

Quote:
paul watt wrote:
The current editor in chief, Joe Quesada has said that "dead is dead" in the Marvel Universe now, and indications are he's sticking to it. So, chances are not good that she'll be brought back, which is a shame. Psylocke was a great character that got continually abused.
Didn't they just bring back Colossus (thank god)?
Quote:
paul watt wrote:
The only things capable of taking out Galactus are capable of taking the rest of the universe as well. Galactus is going to be around for a long, long time.
I've been out of touch with my inner comic book geek, being trapped here in Japan. Are they still going with the Ultimate Nullifier?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:56 AM   #39
paw

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
Didn't they just bring back Colossus (thank god)?

I've been out of touch with my inner comic book geek, being trapped here in Japan. Are they still going with the Ultimate Nullifier?
Re: Colossus (from online interview between Newsarama and Joe Quesada )

NRAMA: Okay -- well, talking about the respective lines that have seen major changes or storylines lately, you've had major events in the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Avengers recently -- a resurrection, a revelation, and a massacre. Going with the X-Men first and Colossus…"dead is dead?" Wasn't Colossus your original example four years back as a character who was going to stay dead, because it made sense, story-wise?

JQ: Absolutely, I believe the term was "significant death." I also said that in order to bring a character like that back, who has suffered a significant death, the writer has to come up with the best resurrection story ever. What, do you think Joss is the first person to pitch me the return of Colossus? Come on now, let's be real. However, he pitched me a resurrection story that I couldn't say no to and that's the point of "dead is dead."

Re: Ultimate Nullifier

Basically, it's still around, virtually impossible to get a hold of and using it costs you your life.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #40
roninja

Dojo: UCO Budo Society/ Eye of the Storm
United_States

I see that someone else was brought to tears. that was sad. Going back to the subject of Rurouni. I guess I never really got very far in the series, because i went out on a limb and bought trust and betrayal, which after seeing, just could not go back to Rurouni Kenshin, the art, but mainly characters and overall feel were so different that I just couldn't accept it as real. which was sad, because I'd already put some much time and effort into the series. I was depressed until I found Naruto.
Now there's a supervillain, could Aikido work against Itachi's ten thousand years of pain... or is that Kakashi Sensei's technique? Ok well... How would Aikido work against Uchiha Itachi and against Kakashi Sense?

僕わ Joseph Dunkin
"Compassion is pure kindness
Wisdom is knowing the truth of dependent origin"
- Ven. Hsing Yun
Old 12-15-2004, 10:38 PM   #41
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Quote:
Eila Saarni wrote:
What about Vicious from Cowboy Bebop?? he's pretty evil and he as a katana
Tachi dori techniques...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #42
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

I find my aikido works great against the super villans thanx!
ok ... so sometimes theres a bit of a skirmish ... and a few buildings get taken out ..... and matching them with my own super abilities is a bonus.....
..... actually .... i may need a better name .... "super Dory" just doesnt seem to strike fear in to the hearts of wrong doers!!!
any suggestions?

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #43
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Quote:
Jon Harris wrote:
You mean Chuck Norris??
Chuck does Tang Soo Do...but it was still funny! LOL!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #44
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Eila Saarni wrote:
What about Vicious from Cowboy Bebop?? he's pretty evil and he as a katana
Steer clear of him unless your weapon of choice is a bazooka. If a pistol won't work, I don't wanna mess with him. He's pretty darn quick.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #45
flashdragoon

Dojo: Aikido at the meadows Dojo/ 225 Moreno street (Dancing Flame Studios) in Las Vegas NM
United_States

heres some more anime Supers I'd like to see an avarage person take on heh

any saiyan from DBZ
Orochimaru from Naruto
Alucard from Hellsing
Edward Elric From Full Metal Alchemist

thats it for the monet I'll think of more later
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #46
paw

Quote:
Jonathan Ray wrote:
heres some more anime Supers I'd like to see an avarage person take on heh

any saiyan from DBZ
At the end of DBZ all of the saiyans are grossly powerful....as in, "I'm tired of fighting you, I'll just destroy your planet and be done with it." Nothing an average person could do would phase them.

Quote:
Jonathan Ray wrote:
Alucard from Hellsing
At the end of the first anime series (a second one is in production), Alucard is actually delighted to tangle with a demon-god. That's not someone to mess with unless you have super powers of your own. Some people suspect that Alucard is the original vampire...just spell his name backwards.

I haven't seen Full Metal Alchemist and I've only seen the first 4-5 episodes of Naruto on cartoon network (not sure how much either series has been edited for North American tv...)

Regards,

Paul
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #47
Satyre
Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

I suspect we might have a few problems with Shredder, he having all those spikey bits and so forth....
Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #48
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Pooley wrote:
I suspect we might have a few problems with Shredder, he having all those spikey bits and so forth....
That's why the turtles carried whoop-ass sticks.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-29-2005, 04:49 AM   #49
Satyre
Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Now, Shredder, stand still while I execute the 31 jo kata upon you!

Take that!

No! No! Stand hanmi and attack with a tsuki dammit!

Good point.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #50
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

*giggle* .... awwww bless!!!
COMIC GEEKS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!!!!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!