Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
DH
United_States
Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts

Hello Folks
Okay we have a location:
A community center located just five minutes walk from the Archway tube. I am told if I give you locals the postal code that works like a street address-it is N195DQ,
if you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and type it in it the arrow points to the community centre

Registration Deadline is February 15th
If you already sent in a request for information, no need to resend - I will be sending the forms out over the next two days. If you don't hear from me please contact me again.

For others
We might already be booked. It really all depends on who sends back applications and payment. First come first served.
Applications are available by contacting me at homeoffice@charter.net
The costs are 135 Euro- payable by paypal at homeoffice@charter.net

Event:
Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts
This work shop is a continuation of the workshops already taking place with advance level aikido students and teachers from all over the United States. The goal is to offer a workshop in a neutral environment, with an emphasis on learning and understanding internal power and aiki as a basis for martial movement in a global sense, while undertaking the difficult task of taking that first step into personal training and integration of the concepts into your own art.

The work shop will cover introductory basics for internal power developement that Dan has taught successfully to hundreds of students and teachers from a wide range of martial arts. Dan will outline the training in such a way as to make the relevancy to martial movement immediate, clear, and accessible. Included will be:

• A presentation of how the martial arts take advantage of natural and common postural failures and methods for building a martial body that moves antithetical to the principles most martial arts use as their foundation for defeating the common body frame.

• How the trained body can begin to take care of itself automatically in a live environment.

• An emphasis on specific training tools (solo and paired) to develop internal power, and specifically how it relates to aiki connections in a martial context.

• Creating and maintaining a structure supported on all sides and how to strengthen it with breath training exercises.

The material covered; while benefiting aikido greatly will not be "specific" to just the aiki arts like Aikido and Daito ryu, but any grappling or striking art, so teachers from other disciplines are welcome.

Dress will be sweats or shorts and T-shirts. No Gis, No budo affiliated T-shirts please. This will be very informal, and casual, but I strongly urge you to bring a notebook.

This will be a closed workshop with no pictures, video, or visitors allowed. People may or may not be accepted by Dan's sole discretion.

The schedule:
Saturday and Sunday 10 AM to 6 PM with a 1 1/2 hour break for lunch

Hope to see you there
Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
DH
United_States
Re: Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts

Okay folks
Applications have been sent. If you didn't get yours, let me know. Remember it is first come, first served on payment and applications. No exceptions.
Hope to see you there.
Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
AlexF
Dojo: NA
United Kingdom
Re: Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts

Hi Dan
Sent you PM + email re the application form + questions on the location. Thanks, Alex

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Okay folks
Applications have been sent. If you didn't get yours, let me know. Remember it is first come, first served on payment and applications. No exceptions.
Hope to see you there.
Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
DH
United_States

I know I said I was going to close this out on the 15th but I can see I am going to have to close it out early. If your interested you might have only a day or two left depending on the follow through.
If ya want to go let me know.
Dan.
P.S.
Alex I will email you
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
AlexF
Dojo: NA
United Kingdom

Quote:
I know I said I was going to close this out on the 15th but I can see I am going to have to close it out early. If your interested you might have only a day or two left depending on the follow through.
If ya want to go let me know.
Dan.
P.S.
Alex I will email you
Hi Dan,
Sent you a PM
Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
DH
United_States

Sorry to be late, but I have been traveling and just got back. This is booked, closed, and there is a waiting list in case anyone bails.
I would like to thank everyone for their prompt attention in applying. I will be sending out conformations, but at this point just about everyone already is confirmed by email. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and having a good time.
Cheers
Dan.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Shah
United Kingdom

Hi Dan I sent the below message a while ago. Any chance to be put on the waiting list.

Dear Mr Harden,

I only found out about you in the last few days. I practiced Aikido for a few years before moving on to Yiquan. What I have read in your post seem very similar to how my Yiquan instructor teaches. I'm also studying classical India martial arts.

I liked to be put on the waiting list for your seminar, "Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts".

Have you got future plans in holding more seminars in the UK?

Regards
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
DH
United_States

Quote:
Shah Singh wrote: View Post
Hi Dan I sent the below message a while ago. Any chance to be put on the waiting list.

Dear Mr Harden,

I only found out about you in the last few days. I practiced Aikido for a few years before moving on to Yiquan. What I have read in your post seem very similar to how my Yiquan instructor teaches. I'm also studying classical India martial arts.

I liked to be put on the waiting list for your seminar, "Dan Harden UK seminar-May 14-15th. Basics of Internal Power in the Martial arts".

Have you got future plans in holding more seminars in the UK?

Regards
Hello sir
While I don't know Yi quan -I have trained with any number of people who keep telling me that same thing. Well, they also tell me I feel like this taiji teacher or that Xing I guy, or I li Quan etc. I don't know Chinese arts, so I'll leave that to you folks.

The seminar in the Netherlands has a an opening or two and will be friendly and informative. Let's see if I am invited back to Engalnd or not-there are some people with agendas coming, so it might get interesting. I have about fifteen people on a wating list now, so even a second one is going to be tough to manage if there are return attendees. If we take out the agenda people (who won't come back anyway) that would probably put a second seminar somewhere in the 40 person range. I prefer keeping it to 20 or so so I can really work with people.
What to do, what to do....
Cheers
Dan
Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Let's see if I am invited back to Engalnd or not-there are some people with agendas coming, so it might get interesting. I have about fifteen people on a wating list now, so even a second one is going to be tough to manage if there are return attendees. If we take out the agenda people (who won't come back anyway) that would probably put a second seminar somewhere in the 40 person range. I prefer keeping it to 20 or so so I can really work with people.
What to do, what to do....
Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

can you get the agenda people to wear a badge or something (or will it be obvious?)..

Looking forward to the seminar and to meeting you in 'the smoke'. I will be all eyes and ears, I want to learn as much as possible (my own agenda )

See you there, I hope you get to have a taste or two of some fine English ale, served at room temperature of course.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Shah
United Kingdom

Hi Dan,

Thank for getting back. Not to be cheeky, if I could have a heads up on your next uk seminar.

Cheers,

H
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
DH
United_States

Sadly, I am here n London with nothing to do and no internet access after I leave the airport
I will try to get a connection in the next hour if somene wants to meet.
I love to train, but I have no people.
pm me and dont be like julian when he pm'ed me...Hey Dan you are welcome to train at london bridge and take over the class....er... okay....
LEAVE A FREAKIN NUMBER...ADDRESS...ANYTHING!!!!!!
I would have just showed up julian!
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-12-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Patrick Hutchinson

Wine gums.
Don't forget the wine gums.

Dan, you're in London! If you need to train, just go in a random bar and say you're a Liverpool supporter.
Good luck with that.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
DH
United_States

Hey
They have cornish yarg wrapped in nettles, is that the same
Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
DH
United_States

Okay
My international number while here is 447438893389.
I am outside victoria station having a steak at the American steakhouse behind the staffordshire
I will be here for an hour and then I am leaving to go to hackney
anyone wats to meet up call or call me tommorrow. call me early or I am going sightseeing
Cheers
Dan
Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Patrick Hutchinson

What do you get when you do takenuchi ryu to a guy from Polperro?
A Cornish Yaaaargh.

Sure, Cornish yarg would be lovely.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #16
DH
United_States

Going to London for the day. I have no plans. My number is listed above. I am willing to train in hyde park tonight...well...in fact one of my guys from the U.S. is here with me. WE are going to be training tonight in hyde park. I will check in later on aikiweb or you can call. but I am going to be there training for signed up members to train.
I am going to have dinner in the city as well.
Cheers
Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
DH
United_States

Update!
I'll be at Hyde Park Corner Station at about 4:30 wearing a black shirt and white cargo pants. Dinner then training to follow!

Cheers
Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

London Evening News Stop Press!

A group of strange folk were spotted in Hyde Park this evening doing strange things with each other, passers by were confused and amused by their antics. They seemed to be led by a foreign gentleman dressed in black and white. A strange new cult comes to the city? .... more news to follow if we can get someone in undercover to infiltrate this odd group...

I will be driving up to London, so won't be there for the Park session, but will be there tomorrow, looking forward to it.

regads,

Mark

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Update!
I'll be at Hyde Park Corner Station at about 4:30 wearing a black shirt and white cargo pants. Dinner then training to follow!

Cheers
Dan
dinner then training? isn't that a reverse order? does aiki work with projectile of the food variety? whole new definition of internal training.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

So any reviews of the seminar?

I would have loved to have come, but it was booked up solid by the time I heard about it.

Alex
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
Patrick Hutchinson

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.p...220985#p220985
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
DH
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
So any reviews of the seminar?
I would have loved to have come, but it was booked up solid by the time I heard about it.
Alex
I had dozens of people on the waiting list for those two seminars combined. The follow up seminars in the UK and Netherlands will be unannounced as they are most likely going to be booked in full. I don't like large events, as I do not feel I can do a good enough job getting round and getting hands on people and they...have one-on-one time with me. A good example was discussion of dantian and dantian rotation; everyone who wanted to got to actually feel it with their hands on me, as well as with pressured breathing, and by touching various points in my body one could feel how spiraling; in itself contains so many "jins" in one move, so I am not going to be doing large events. Later, if people take the training seriously, I can then open it up because I will have help from prior attendees. Make sense?

Most people don't realize I've done 35 seminars in two and a half years. They have only seen a dozen or so here. The reason is that the rest were booked privately.
I had a mission statement at the outset, a support strategy, and an exit strategy several years into the future if all went well.
I am following that plan in the best way I can manage.

I agree with several who have posted on RSF that we didn't want the week to end. Marvelous training / Marvelous people

May I say what a joy it was (and is) to bring together people from the ICMA community with people from the Aikido, Daito Ryu and FMA community, to share in a common search and vision. Everyone was reminded that we were joining in Ellis Amdur's vision; that this work is the one thing that indeed binds us all. For my part, I reminded everyone that ...I... am just one of those who are offering to help. This work is greater than us all. It was indeed humbling to be greeted so graciously by so many people.

I have to work all day, then train tonight. I will write more tomorrow.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-17-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
I agree with several who have posted on RSF that we didn't want the week to end. Marvelous training / Marvelous people
Hi Dan,

Thanks for a great seminar in London, I for one, came away with much to think about and much to work on. I really enjoyed your passion for getting what you have, across to those who seek it. Your explanations were clear, concise, based fully in reality and experience and delivered with plenty of humour.

What a good bunch of people to train with and what a good laugh as well. There were certainly some superb moments of "two nations being separated by a common language", your reactions to some of our more northen accents, were priceless

I'll contact you later when I have had a chance to assimilate the material for a while, great stuff, thanks again,

regards,

Mark

Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,

There were certainly some superb moments of "two nations being separated by a common language", your reactions to some of our more northen accents, were priceless
Dan, Didn't you learn ought when you came to Rochester?