Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #76
mut

Dojo: south hetton (Dynamic aikido Nocquet )
United Kingdom
Re: Top Ten Reasons you STAY with Aikido

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Sorry off topic, Michael.

I just don't understand the phrase HUMPFENSTUFEN

It looks German, but is not really common in my environment.

Google and Yahoo only refer to aikido web pages. So it could be aikido related. but then I found that the only source is Michael Meister - namely a masterly aikidoka (i.e. by name, I do not know your experience).

It sounds related to beer or wine, but I thought the best solution is to ask the source itself.

Could you please help me out of my ignorance and give me some more info about what 'Humpfenstufen' means?

Many thanks

Dirk
hi dirk, my nameis mut, im michaels instructor in the uk,the word humpenstufen, well here goes. a large part of our organization is in germany, and every year we travel to various parts of germany to train, we all here the germans speak but being dumb english we never learn it enough to speak it, so one day whilst in a bavarian bar somewhere a friend of mine steve said i could just do with a humpenstufen,,,i laughed and said you mean hefe weissen, he said yes.we then told all our german friends this, they laughed and so the word was born, since then it has grown into a greeting and also a ki expression and also the one international word that means everything..i hope this helps.....
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #77
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote:
hi dirk, my nameis mut, im michaels instructor in the uk,the word humpenstufen, well here goes. a large part of our organization is in germany, and every year we travel to various parts of germany to train, we all here the germans speak but being dumb english we never learn it enough to speak it, so one day whilst in a bavarian bar somewhere a friend of mine steve said i could just do with a humpenstufen,,,i laughed and said you mean hefe weissen, he said yes.we then told all our german friends this, they laughed and so the word was born, since then it has grown into a greeting and also a ki expression and also the one international word that means everything..i hope this helps.....
Mut, you beat me to the answer... Only one thing to add, the way the word evolved, is a good reason to stay in Aikido. Because in a way it is a description, a symbol (for those initiated of course ) for the hospitality and friendlyness many of us encounter when visiting fellow Aikidoka.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #78
Kim Rivers

Dojo: Berkshire Hills-Ryu Aikido
United_States

I stay w/ aikido because...
1) it's a great way to travel, even if it's just in rolls around the mat.
1) My dojo mates actualy miss me if I don't show for a while.
3) Everyone looks great in a hakama!
4) Our dojo's allow for any coloured hakama, so our photos look spectacular and I now have a deep royal purple one!
5) we have such a large percentage of women that one of the best compliments one can hear is "you fight like a girl."

When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. --Audre Lorde
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #79
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

sensei drags you by the hair back to the dojo? ... i fear him! .. but inm all seriousness ... im not actually training anymore! (ducks and hopes not to be hit/thrown/ or otherwise tormented!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #80
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

because i'm a glutten for pain
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #81
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote: View Post
i started aikido to learn how to turn my brother's technique against him (i think he believes little sister to be a direct translation from perfect uke)

(oh yea, and from my first session i decreed that i wouldn't stop till i had hakama, and when i get them i swear i'll wear them for a week)
To Matthew everyone translates as perfect uke, including fiance (that'd be me for those who don't know, Krystyna's soon to be sister-in-law person thingy).

I dreamed of hakama then took a two year break, which brings me to my reason to stick with aikido, because coming back after a break really, really, really (10x really) hurts. I am not taking a break again, it hurts too much, and learning not to fear rolling on my left arm again is hard.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #82
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

I'm not allowed to quit, they won't let me! They'll come and get me! (or one will at least)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #83
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Quote:
Rigel Keffer wrote: View Post
3. The people. Aikido seems to attract and RETAIN an exceptionally precious, QUIRKY, fun, sound, safe, honorable, integrity-laden, genuine, sincere, kind, passionate, lighthearted yet grounded community of people. People with strong arms and smile, people who teach from the heart and embrace you even as they are throwing you ... people who bring gentleness to a potentially harsh discipline ... People I can trust and love and laugh with. Dedicated aikidoka --- the real students, the ones who are truly into it --- are an indescribably precious treasure for whom I thank God.

4. It makes me feel strong. It helps me hold my head up and my shoulders back. I can handle seemingly unrelated things so much better as a result of martial arts training, dumb stuff that used to absolutely stress me out . I can't explain it, but the more I'm training, the better I can handle life's wrinkles. I just feel stronger all around, muscles and mind. And braver. Because I try things on the mats I normally would never have pushed myself to attempt. Even something as simple as the fact that I can and do get up over and over again after getting thrown, pinned,and all around battered over and over again shows me that I'm tougher than I thought I was. Aikido helps me be stronger, braver, and tougher. Aikido is helping to grow me into, a woman with presence.
Many reasons, but the ones above pretty much say it all.
I am ever so grateful for my Aikido family.

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #84
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

also,

love to see a man in a Hakama *sigh*

Last edited by reisler : 04-17-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #85
Aikirk
Denmark

Why thank you. Now I really can't wait for my shoulder to heal, so I can return to the mat!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #86
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Because it's the most fun I can have with my clothes on; I can play with anyone and everyone, regardless of sex, age, or ability; we can play one-on-one or in groups -- the more, the merrier; playing by myself isn't frowned on, though it's actually more difficult; it's OK for people to stop and just watch; "Please" and "Thank you" are an integral part of practice; even when it hurts, it's good.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #87
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

...Aikido has it's place in the martial world, and I am one of the few that has life experience that that is true....

...there are more than ten reasons not to associate oneself with Aikido, due to the contemporary perception of Aikido...

...to keep my word, and honor a great Sensei....

Train well,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeygelum : 12-31-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: because I can....
Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #88
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Your are fully aware of its benefits.

You are fully aware of its consequences.

You unconditionally choose to remain on your path.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

In Oneness,
Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #89
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Because I need to. It's my exercise, my fun, my therapy, and I learn something new every day.

Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #90
earnest aikidoka
Singapore

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote: View Post
To take the UFC by storm.
amen to that
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #91
earnest aikidoka
Singapore

to be strong and protect myself and possibly others
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #92
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Because I want to be a good roll model.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #93
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Because it is something that challenges me
Because I love being tossed around

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #94
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido

Because...

1) I need a topic of discussion

2) My friends think of me as a person who can hold her own and does not need to be looked after all the time.

3) I enjoy having my head in the clouds and comin crashing back down again*

4) Who doesn't like getting to knock people down and not get in trouble for it!?

5) My fellow Aikidok's are the ductape to my wallet; they hold me together when life is rough.

6) I get a type of thrill being uke; beats getting it by bungee junping!!!

* Yes, I mean crashing! My ukemi for some moves is not the best by a long shot (especially after the last four days of band that lasted from 8:00am to 5:15pm)

Last edited by JCT53 : 08-06-2010 at 09:39 PM.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #95
JCT53

Quote:
Rosemary Wulf wrote: View Post
Because I am a teenaged daughter and needed to get away from my parents.
Amen to that!! If I couldn't escape to class 3 times a week, I would be so dead for exploding at my dad out of frusteration with him!!
(You would think that eyeliner was an illeagel drug or something the way he looks when I use it )

(Have you ever gotten that I-want-to-launch-you-into-the-air-so-far-you-can-see-the-mansion-high-above-the-clouds-you-don't-shut-up-up-about-but-can't-because-you-have-to-drive-me-to-class feeling?)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #96
JCT53

Quote:
Rigel Keffer wrote: View Post
OK, so apparently I was too serious in my previous answer. So, here is my cheeky reply (well, cheeky but all very true!):

4. Because I'm such a klutz, it's a valuable life skill for me to know how to fall and land safely.
So true!! YAY for all the of us klutzy people who trip over invisible objects and have to fall with style when we trip in public so it looks planned

Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #97
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

I try and resist........BUT THE HAKAMA JUST KEEPS CALLING ME MAN!!....It taunts me......makes me want to earn the experience to wear it......

It a monkey on my back I tell you!!!

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #98
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

I stay because if I didn't Cherie Cornmesser would track me down after she broke all her other ukes.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #99
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I stay because if I didn't Cherie Cornmesser would track me down after she broke all her other ukes.
Very funny....Just wait until our next class together.

I stay because aikido has brought happiness into my life.

And because Gregg would be disappointed if I didn't hurt him once in a while.

and .... well I have not missed a class in 7 months and I want to get the perfect attendance award for 2010.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 08-08-2010 at 06:07 AM.