Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #51
Joanne Arnest
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai
United_States
Re: Aikido Puns

On the subject of shi-ko versus shikko, one of the members of our dojo was once told about this difference. He had been saying it shikko, but after that he could never remember which was which, and would get it wrong half the time. It didn't help matters that if he was saying it correctly you could easily fluster him just by asking "Which way is it that you don't want to pronounce it?"

During testing once our Sensei asked one student to do this incredibly long and complicated sounding technique. She stood there looking very confused, until he gave her something else. After testing was over, he admitted that the "technique" was just a list of different types of sushi.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:03 AM   #52
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I dont know where else to put this, so: On sunday I was at one of our organisations courses held by our head instructor. At dinner time I was given a breakaway (which is a chocolate covered biscuit bar, for those of you not au fait with them) and stashed it in my obi because I was waiting for some chips. 2 hours later and well into the afternoon session Im training with a friend and notice something yellow sticking out of the top of my hakama. I pull out a very mangled chocolate bar. I'd been thrown by sensei and everything, had trained with most of the senior instructors in the org. Oh imagine the situation had it flown out and hit sensei in the face in front of everyone. Doh!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #53
Carlos Rivera

Dojo: Aikido in Savannah
United_States

I know this one's bad. . .but instead of tai no henko, at dojo parties we do "wain o henko"
Old 03-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #54
Tatiana
Dojo: Lenwakan
Brazil

I live in Brazil, and in Portuguese "Ai que dor" (Pronounced ai-ki-dor) means "Oh what pain!"

So when ever I tell anyone that i'm an akidoka they all say "Ai ki dor?" and laugh

its silly really =) but its funny when they say it ^^

Tat
Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #55
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

What an apt saying ..... i think it sums it all up!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #56
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

that is one of the genuinuly funny coincidences that the world throws up at you every now and again

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #57
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Tongue Re: Aikido Puns

Has anyone else encountered an Ai-ki-don't-a?

As in, they used to practice hard, but no longer do?

They don't-a take breakfalls
They don't-a do swariwaza
They don't-a practice with new people
They don't-a get along with everyone else

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 04-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #58
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

A japanese friend of mine and I were talking about compassion, and trying to find a translation for the word in japanese....one that she came up with was "dojo". I assume the kanji is different.

Then we thought Dojo Dojo would be a nice name for a dojo. Until she translated it back as "sympathy club". Erk.

Disclaimer. I don't know how accurate any of these translations actually were, considering that my Japanese is even worse than her English....

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #59
akiy

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
A japanese friend of mine and I were talking about compassion, and trying to find a translation for the word in japanese....one that she came up with was "dojo". I assume the kanji is different.
Your friend was probably referring to the following kanji compound:

同情 =~ sympathy, compassion, pity

同 (dou) =~ same, agree, equal
情 (jyou) =~ feelings, emotion, passion

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #60
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

We have a student named Sean (pronounced Shawn). One of the junior adults was counting in front of a group, and when he should have thought "san" thought "sean". In the usual way of people under pressure, the more he tried to remember "san" the more he got stuck on "sean."

Counting produces a lot of our humor moments anyway. It's amazing how you may have been doing a particular exercise with counting twice a week for a year or two, but you still can't remember how to count it when you're up in front of everyone!

This isn't a pun, but Curtis sensei was once dissatisfied with his senior students' counting of jo dai-ni, so he made them count it without using a jo, and stood behind them trying to do the kata to their count. Everyone else could see his efforts, but the counting student couldn't.... It was pretty funny, though probably not for the senior students involved! They would speed up certain parts until he looked like the Tasmanian Devil, or leave out counts so he had to suddenly switch the jo from one position to another between moves.

Mary Kaye
Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #61
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

I was at a seminar yeaterday, and at one point we were doing shomenuchi ikkyo from seated technique. I and the nage next to me were facing the same way, and when I sent my uke to my right, his went to the left. They didn't hit, but their heads were aimed at each other. I couldn't resist -- I had to say it: "Let's put their heads together."