Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
Kenshin75
Dojo: I dont have one yet, Im still looking ..
Ai symbol Traditional Gi

Anyone happen to know any suppliers of traditional Style gi's, The ones that Have the ties on both hips... All Ive seen around are either the elastic waist, or drawstring type. I know those may be more practical, but I rather like the old style myself. Any web site links would be great.. thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
guest1234
would a pair of scissors transform the drawstring into the kind you are seeking?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Kenshin75
Quote:
would a pair of scissors transform the drawstring into the kind you are seeking?
heh.. cute colleen . Not exactly what I was looking for, but I guess I could do that If all else fails..
Old 02-03-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
guest1234
Seriously, I don't know if I know what you are looking for, the drawstring ones I know have splits at the hips (so you can get into them) then you tighten the drawstring and tie it in front...it sounds like you had some that were split (I assume) at the hips, but had ties at each split that tied together? Next time I go to Mr Kiyoto's I will check, you could always order them by phone from him if he has them (Lord knows he has everything else) although I'm sure the west coast would have them somewhere, if they are still made....

But consider the new versions, too...I love my bu-jin pants (once you get over sticker shock )
Old 02-03-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Kenshin75
Quote:
But consider the new versions, too...I love my bu-jin pants (once you get over sticker shock )
Yeah.. I looked at thier website... was something like $110 for a set , But from what I have heard here, I can only assume they are top notch...
Old 02-04-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Erik
Re: Traditional Gi

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenshin75
I know those may be more practical, but I rather like the old style myself. Any web site links would be great.. thanks
Wow! I would have bet anything that I'd never have heard nor seen those words.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:36 AM   #7
Kenshin75
Quote:
Wow! I would have bet anything that I'd never have heard nor seen those words.
Are you mocking me Erik?.. ...
(jk)...

Im just old fashion I guess...
Old 02-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #8
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Quote:
Anyone happen to know any suppliers of traditional Style gi's, The ones that Have the ties on both hips... All Ive seen around are either the elastic waist, or drawstring type.
Rob, a silly question (as I've never seen gi pants that
tie this way) - are you sure the ties on both hips you see
don't come from the jacket (most gi tops tie this way)?

Tim, just checking the obvious

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 02-04-2002, 02:59 AM   #9
Kenshin75
ok, Tim Maybe it is a "silly" question. ( Even though I could swear I had a pair like this a long time ago...) There are still the ones ca talked about ( the kind where the strings come out through the hip, but tie in the front ) But I still cant find those either. Anyhow.. I may just get something more modern anyway...
Old 02-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #10
guest1234
Well, I'm sure you could find the tie-in-front pants in Riverside or LA, I know they're all over in Las Vegas... I know Mr Kiyota has them for sure if you want them mailed from Baltimore. I don't think he has a website, but I do think he mails things. Besides, talking to him is one of the real pleasures in life. You also should check the suppliers section on this website Hopefully I am not in trouble for now listing Mr Kiyota's number: 410 366 8275. But I think you can get them much closer to home (just not perhaps in Apple Valley )
Old 02-04-2002, 08:29 AM   #11
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Anyone happen to know any suppliers of traditional Style gi's, The ones that Have the ties on both hips... All Ive seen around are either the elastic waist, or drawstring type. I know those may be more practical, but I rather like the old style myself. Any web site links would be great.. thanks
Hmm. Never seen zubon like that myself. My first dogi I ever had (in 1974 or 75) the drawstring waist (tie is one long string that wraps around your hips, comes out at the sides and ties in front).

I have seen a style of hamaka (sobagama?) that has very narrow legs and no (or a very small) koshiita. The himo tie just like the average hakama, though.

Pesonally, I can't stand the elastic waist ones, but I've never tried the fancy Bujin-style so I can't say much about those.

If I wear a judogi, these days, I opt for traditional jacket and pants, but often as not, I wear a longer keikogi with only bike shorts underneath the hakama.

You can get decent trad. judogi from several sources. For quality, I highly recomend Mugendo Budogu, (www.budogu.com), but there are cheaper alternatives.

One of my favorite judogi is actually (gasp!) a Century product. For just about anything else, though, I go to Mugendo.

Chuck

Old 02-04-2002, 09:41 AM   #12
Erik
Quote:
Are you mocking me Erik?.. ...
(jk)...

Im just old fashion I guess...
Actually, no. It's just that I hated them when I wore them and can't imagine anyone wishing for those over a drawstring.

Now days, I pretty much live in shorts, so it's hakama over shorts.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:04 AM   #13
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
I rather like the old style myself.
Heck, if you want to get REALLY traditional, get rid of that nice white judogi and get yourself a blue keikogi! And lose the pants. Completely. 'Real' budoka go regimental. Or so I'm told.

Chuck
(who'll go regimental in his kilt but not his hak ...)

Old 02-04-2002, 04:05 PM   #14
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Front, through the hips draw string, check Lion Brand
http://www.hondamartialarts.com/
Niadh

Last edited by Niadh : 02-04-2002 at 05:44 PM.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers