Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
Fred26
Dojo: Budo Kai, Ki-Aikido
Sweden
Talking Hello

New member here. I'm 25 years old, living in Sweden and I am currently practicing Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido, or the shorter name of (ki) Aikido. Actually I just started out with Aikido in september 2004 after a looong period of deciding wether or not to begin with ANY martial arts, but so far I'm very impressed. Its exactly what I have been looking for and what I need in terms of keeping my body active and training my mind.

Anyways, glad to be here.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Thomas Ambrose

United_States
Re: Hello

Fredrik, I am 24 years old (25 later this month) and started Aikido a month or two before September 2004, so we are probably in the same boat! Anyway, welcome to the forums here!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Fredrik,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Fred26
Sweden

Quote:
Thomas Ambrose wrote:
Fredrik, I am 24 years old (25 later this month) and started Aikido a month or two before September 2004, so we are probably in the same boat! Anyway, welcome to the forums here!
That wouldnt be ki-aikido by any chance?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote:
That wouldnt be ki-aikido by any chance?
Actually the school I am training under is Aikikai, but to be honest I don't really know much about the differences besides a bit of the historical. I am definitely too new to know about differences in philosophy or technique, but hey, it's all good !
Old 01-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
Fred26
Sweden

Quote:
Thomas Ambrose wrote:
Actually the school I am training under is Aikikai, but to be honest I don't really know much about the differences besides a bit of the historical. I am definitely too new to know about differences in philosophy or technique, but hey, it's all good !
Aye...I'm not that certain of the differences either besides the most obvious doctrinal ones. I think ki aikido has been described as the most soft of styles. (there are a few more soft styles too though) There are also bound to be at least a few techniques done differently.

We also have different ranks as I understood it, like we have a Ki-rank and normal rank. In my club we dont have a 6th Kyu as I understood it, my first rank will be something called "Shokyu", that is "just" a series of Ki excercises. then 5th and 4th as usual, then there is a "Chukyu" rank, then 3rd kyu and 2nd , then there is a "Jokyu" rank and so on.

Its kinda complicated for me right now, I havent really tried to bother with rank. I'm trying out for skokyu this febuary I think.

Oh, here is the series of ki techniques for Shokyu by the way:

"Shokyu minimum 4 months training
1 Standing
2 Sitting seiza
3 Sitting cross legged (Agura)
4 Putting out one hand (Palm facing down)
5 Breathing exercise (Kokyuho) sitting seiza
"