Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #51
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia
Re: The Correct Way to Hold a Knife

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I try to place the tip against the cutting board and raise and lower the middle and rear portion of the blade as I am feeding the scallions through. If you kind of stick your knuckles forward, but never raise the knife above the level of your knuckles, you can keep your fingertips safe. What I still have a lot of trouble with is keeping the blade on one plane while I am doing the chopping. I think I am holding some tension somewhere in my arm.
I reccomend 500 cuts a day. Tell your wife from now on you will do ALL the food preparation because you need the practice.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #52
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
Not really. What we do in Aikido is, we tend to make overly clear, telegraphed attacks, to give nage a chance to learn how to apply a technique. Humble pie is served later.
Of course. But surely there comes a time when we can go beyond beginings? Thats what I'm talking about.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #53
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Is there a "traditional japanese way" of attacking with a knife?
Well, I'm assuming there is a 'do' in that regard, as opposed to what might happen in a modern day nasty part of Tokyo. From what I have seen it is quiet different from a Silat attack and from a 'traditional' Phillipino method. Of course we all have the same physical body and most knives are similar so there isnt going to be THAT much difference.

I can see clear similarities with what I have learned and observed about 'traditional Japanese' knife attacks and use of various swords.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #54
ravenest
Australia

Quote:
Though you could say that the way we attack is like a desperate, last-ditch kamikaze attempt to punch through armor on a battlefield, its definitely not the savvy, sneaky knifework of a predator.
Yes. Some 'traditional' attacks with weapons (tenbe and rochin come to mind) are specifically targeted to weak spots and joints in armour - traditional Japanese armour that is.

I will attack like a Samuri and if I die, well good (its a good day to die, the cherry blossoms are out) , but I will never attack like a sneaky Ninja!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #55
ravenest
Australia
Out of the Zone.

Once our teacher got the attacker to ski (mid-section) with tanto in right hand while holding another in their left and try to disrupt the following kotegaeshi. I chose to go up against the big slow guy that cant seem to get the subtleties of Aikido (because I know he is quiet good with a weapon, I went against him once - we both had shield, (blunt) sword and armour - that Euro medieval weaponry stuff.) He totally disrupted my bad kotegaeshi by basically crashing into me. During the tumble, as I was falling/scrabbling backwards he lunged viciously with the left tanto straight the centre of my throat and touched it with the tip and held it there as we fell. I broke away and rolled out but too late. I'm sure no one actually saw what happened in there. He had excellent control, I was totally unharmed but realised I would have been ****** if he wasnt being nice about it. I stopped and gave him a formal bow and he gave he a gruff nod of acknowledgement. I dont think anyone knew why I was bowing to him.

Anyway, what happened to the rest of the people training I'm not sure. The instructor never did that drill again.

Try it if you want, but ... er, perhaps swap the tanto for a rubbery one?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #56
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

There are only two ways to hold a knife or any blade if you think about it.......
It much depends on whether its a two sided cutter or one sided....
Two sided is better than one.....
Useful for cutting the roast joint on Sunday I suppose, or for sharpening a pencil if you don't have a rotary one. I kind of like whittling with a knife and even carved out my own wooden tanto to while away a few winter hours.....
Old 11-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #57
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
There are only two ways to hold a knife or any blade if you think about it.......
...Yeah, either in them, or in you!...
Old 11-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
...Yeah, either in them, or in you!...
Ha ha!! about right kiddo.....