Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
akiy

Re: AikiWeb Raffle for Mary Heiny Sensei

Hi everyone,

We're now up to 349 tickets as of this morning!

Please help get us towards selling 500 tickets!

Today, April 30th, is the last day for purchasing tickets.

Every single ticket helps benefit Mary Heiny sensei's upcoming hip surgery, folks!Thanks, everyone,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #27
akiy

Hi everyone,

We're now up to 363 tickets as of this morning!

I don't think we're going to reach 500 tickets (unless I extend the ticket sales), but let's see if we can reach 400 tickets by the end of the day!

Every ticket counts, folks! Please help.Thanks, everyone!

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #28
akiy

Hi everyone,

We're now up to 390 tickets as of this morning!

Since I still need to work on the script to randomly choose the winners, I'm going to keep raffle sales still going until about 12pm Mountain time -- for about another four hours.

Let's see if we can reach 400 tickets by then!

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #29
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

Oh just blast through a couple pads of notepaper and a pen! Lets get the fun started!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
akiy

Hi Lori,
Quote:
Lori Snidow wrote: View Post
Oh just blast through a couple pads of notepaper and a pen! Lets get the fun started!
Please don't destroy my geeky nature! I've been looking very forward to a bit of perl hacking this morning!

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
akiy

Hi everyone,

YES! We're now up to 422 tickets after a flurry of last minute raffle ticket purchases! Thanks, everyone -- we made our 400 tickets goal!

So, my challenge to you all is now:
Can we sell 500 tickets by 12pm Mountain time?
Crazy, you say? That's only three hours away, you say?
I think we can do it!

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #32
akiy

Hi everyone,

We're now up to 443 tickets with only two more hours to go!

Our goal: 500 tickets by 12pm Mountain time.

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
akiy

Hi folks,

One hour left! One hour left! One hour left!

We're now up to 448 tickets with only one more hour to go!

Our goal: 500 tickets by 12pm Mountain time.

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #34
akiy

Hi everyone,

The AikiWeb Raffle to Mary Heiny sensei's hip surgery is now complete! We raised $4,325.60 through ticket sales (448 tickets minus PayPal fees), but I'm going to go ahead and bump it up to a nice even:
~~~ *** !!! $4,500 !!! *** ~~~
Thank you to everyone who participated in the raffle, both by donating items as well as purchasing tickets!

I have done the drawings and have the grand list of winners, but I am not quite done collating everything into a presentable manner. Please be patient! I should have everything ready tomorrow (May 2). Stay tuned and at the edge of your keyboards until then!

Once again: Thank you, everyone for your support!

Best regards,

-- Jun

Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #35
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Jun,

You're a class act on and off the mat! Thanks for doing this.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #36
Janet Rosen

Amazing and wonderful.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #37
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Congrats !
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #38
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Jun,

You're a class act on and off the mat! Thanks for doing this.
What he said.
*Applause*

Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
Cephallus
Dojo: judo only at the moment
United_States

I am thankful that you gave all of us the opportunity to participate in such a wonderful and fun way. This is a significant amount of money, and I'm sure it will make a huge difference. Well done!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #40
akiy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your kind comments! This raffle wouldn't have happened without all of your support, so the thanks really ought to go out to all of you!

I'm preparing the list of winners right now and I should have it posted in just a short while. Stay tuned!

Best,

-- Jun

Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
akiy

Hi everyone,

Without further ado, here's the list of AikiWeb Raffle prize winners, determined by random drawing!
  • Adam B. -- Complete 6-volume set of Ken Ota's Aikido DVD's (new, still in the wrappers) [Clark Bateman]
  • Adam B. -- Aikido Complete by Yoshimitsu Yamada [Alan Jackson]
  • Aikido of N C. -- One set of 12 Aikido oval stickers [AikiWeb]
  • Alan J. -- One set of 100 "Aikido" temporary tattoos [AikiWeb]
  • Alan J. -- Hiroshi Ikeda's Irimi, Za, Buki, Koshi DVD ($89 retail) [Bu Jin Design]
  • Alan J. -- Weapons Case B, Charcoal Gray ($86 retail) [Bu Jin Design]
  • Alan J. -- The Principles of Aiki DVD set: three titles, 9 DVDs (retail $140) [George Ledyard]
  • Alejandro A. -- Nothing Says Love Like Shihonage T-shirt in rust red, navy blue, black, beige in sizes S-XL (US Shipping only) [Arizona Aikido]
  • Alejandro A. -- One aikido weapons bag handmade by yours truly [Janet Rosen]
  • Angela D. -- One copy of "Feeling Aikido: Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" e-book [Paul Linden]
  • Anthony F. -- Kanshu Sunadomari sensei's "Enlightenment through Aikido" book [Corky Quakenbush]
  • Anthony F. -- One copy of "Feeling Aikido: Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" e-book [Paul Linden]
  • Anthony F. -- One free admission to "Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" workshop led by Paul Linden, June 14-17, 2008 in Columbus, OH. [Paul Linden]
  • Arrow P. -- Aikido and the Dymanic Sphere and Secrets of the Samurai by Westbrook and Ratti [Alan Jackson]
  • Aviv G. -- Your choice of one of the following: 1) Free attendance at a Roppokai seminar given by me in NY scheduled later in the year, 2) I do a two-day seminar at your dojo for no charge outside of transportation and food/lodging, or 3) 1 free month of lessons at the NY Roppokai [Howard Popkin]
  • Aviv G. -- One free spaces at a seminar with Mary Heiny sensei, June 28th, 2008 at Two Cranes Aikido in Seattle WA [Two Cranes Aikido]
  • Clark B. -- Two free months of training at Icho Ryu Seattle [Icho Ryu Seattle]
  • Claudia G. -- Original, handmade piece of jewelry (Angie Star Jewelry) [Angela Olsgard]
  • Claudia G. -- One Aikikai hakama, any size, retail $89-$103 [Mugendo Budogu]
  • Craig N. -- One set of 100 "Takemusu Aiki" temporary tattoos [AikiWeb]
  • Dan B. -- One AikiWeb T-shirt [AikiWeb]
  • Dan B. -- Fine+ copy of "Takemusu Aikido, Volume 1" by Morihiro Saito (the hard-to-find 1st Edition) [Clark Bateman]
  • Dan B. -- A piece of aikido artwork [Dante Lividini]
  • Dan B. -- A signed copy of "Advanced Aikido by Phong & Seiser" by Phong & Seiser [Lynn Seiser]
  • Dave Wr. -- The Founder of Aikido DVD (retail $39.95) [Aikido Journal]
  • Dave Wr. -- One white 8.5oz martial arts uniform, size 000 - 7 (US Shipping Only) [Shannon Frye]
  • Deborah F. -- A brand new Spyderco Byrd Knife, BY05P Flight (Stainless) (US Shipping Only) [Mark Murray]
  • Donald H. -- Original calligraphy by Hiroshi Ikeda "AIKIDO", on canvas, 18"X24" [Alan Jackson]
  • Elizabeth C. -- An original landscape oil, signed & framed, by Ron (US Shipping only) [Ron Ragusa & Mary Eastland]
  • Elizabeth K. -- An aikido watercolor by Stephen Morabito [Stephen Morabito]
  • Elizabeth T. -- Spiritual Foundations of Aikido by W. Gleason [Alan Jackson]
  • Elizabeth T. -- This is Aikido book by Koichi Tohei, First edition (1968) [Mike Sigman]
  • Elizabeth T. -- One copy of "Feeling Aikido: Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" e-book [Paul Linden]
  • Elizabeth T. -- Signed copy of the book "Center: The Power of Aikido" [Ron Meyer and Mark Reeder]
  • Fred L. -- A $100 gift certificate to BudoVideos.com [BudoVideos.com]
  • Fred L. -- One full color print, small, framed, of a little surrealist landscape by yours truly [Janet Rosen]
  • Gavin W. -- A handmade pen/pencil set in presentation box, using wood of the buyer's choosing [Clark Bateman]
  • Howard P. -- Signed copy of the book "Center: The Power of Aikido" [Ron Meyer and Mark Reeder]
  • Ian R. -- A copy of Muguruza Sensei Yoshinkan Aikido Basics from MartialDVD.com [Jim McCoy]
  • Ichiro O. -- New copy of "Aikido: The Complete Basic Techniques" by Gozo and Yasuhisa Shioda [Clark Bateman]
  • James G. -- Kanshu Sunadomari sensei's "Enlightenment through Aikido" book [Corky Quakenbush]
  • James G. -- A signed copy of my new book, Warders of the Gate (fantasy novel) [Mark Murray]
  • James S. -- Private lesson teaching O-sensei's 31 jo kata in Fredericksburg, VA [Aviv Goldsmith]
  • Janet W. -- An Aikido Seminar with Terry Dobson DVD (retail $39.95) [Keigan Productions]
  • Jennifer Y. -- Free month of training in at Aikido Fellowship of Virginia in Norfolk, VA [Shannon Frye]
  • Karen W. -- Kanshu Sunadomari sensei's "Enlightenment through Aikido" book [Corky Quakenbush]
  • Katsuko S. -- Handmade zafu (retail $45) [Sharon Seymour]
  • Keith L. -- Nothing Says Love Like Shihonage T-shirt in rust red, navy blue, black, beige in sizes S-XL (US Shipping only) [Arizona Aikido]
  • Keith L. -- One copy of "Feeling Aikido: Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" e-book [Paul Linden]
  • Larry B. -- A signed copy of "Advanced Aikido by Phong & Seiser" by Phong & Seiser [Lynn Seiser]
  • Linda H. -- One 10-inch circles of the canvas on which Terry Dobson taught his last class at Bond Street Dojo, mounted on embroidery hoops and suitable for display. [Fred Little]
  • Lisa M. -- One set of 12 Aikido lapel pins [AikiWeb]
  • Lori S. -- Set of handmade aikido weapons (bokken, jo, tanto) with the winner's name on them in katakana [Brian Donohoe]
  • Lori S. -- One 10-inch circles of the canvas on which Terry Dobson taught his last class at Bond Street Dojo, mounted on embroidery hoops and suitable for display. [Fred Little]
  • Lori S. -- A copy of AikiBudo: The Spirit of Yoshinkan DVD from MartialDVD.com [Jim McCoy]
  • Lori S. -- A steel iaito, approximate retail value $500 (US Shipping Only) [Mark Mueller]
  • Lori S. -- A copy of Mary's book, "Self Defense for Every Day" (US Shipping only) [Ron Ragusa & Mary Eastland]
  • Mark Mue. -- Introduction to Koroho DVD by Masashi Yokoyama sensei [Jim McCoy]
  • Mark Mur. -- Handmade Jatoba bokuto with non-removable tsuba [Howard Popkin]
  • Michael H. -- Bridge 2007 Seminar Set (5 DVDs, $85 retail) [Bu Jin Design]
  • Michael L. -- Dennis Hooker Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido DVD [Shindai Aikikai]
  • Michael R. -- One free admission to seminar with Daiyu Takeda in Santa Barbara, CA, June 20-22, 2008 [Stephen Trinkle]
  • Michael Z. -- One free spaces at a seminar with Mary Heiny sensei, June 28th, 2008 at Two Cranes Aikido in Seattle WA [Two Cranes Aikido]
  • Regina L. -- An Aikido in Fredericksburg sweatshirt (US Shipping Only) [Aviv Goldsmith]
  • Robert G. -- Ki in Daily Life by K. Tohei [Alan Jackson]
  • Robert R. -- One impressionist painting by Ken Nisson [Aikido of Modesto]
  • Robert R. -- One set of 12 Aikido keychains [AikiWeb]
  • Sandy H. -- A signed copy of "Aikido Basics" by Phong & Seiser [Lynn Seiser]
  • Scott F. -- One 10-inch circles of the canvas on which Terry Dobson taught his last class at Bond Street Dojo, mounted on embroidery hoops and suitable for display. [Fred Little]
  • Scott Z. -- Nothing Says Love Like Shihonage T-shirt in rust red, navy blue, black, beige in sizes S-XL (US Shipping only) [Arizona Aikido]
  • Scott Z. -- Kanshu Sunadomari sensei's "Enlightenment through Aikido" book [Corky Quakenbush]
  • Sharon S. -- Three months free membership at Shindai Aikikai and free dogi [Shindai Aikikai]
  • Sherman L. -- Aikido in Everyday Life by Terry Dobson [Alan Jackson]
  • Stephen M. -- One 10-inch circles of the canvas on which Terry Dobson taught his last class at Bond Street Dojo, mounted on embroidery hoops and suitable for display. [Fred Little]
  • Stephen M. -- One copy of "Feeling Aikido: Body Awareness Training as a Foundation for Aikido Practice" e-book [Paul Linden]
  • Susan M. -- Weapons Case B, Forest Green ($86 retail) [Bu Jin Design]
  • Tommi K. -- One three-month dojo membership at Aikido of Northern Virginia [Aikido of Northern Virginia]
  • Tommi K. -- Nothing Says Love Like Shihonage T-shirt in rust red, navy blue, black, beige in sizes S-XL (US Shipping only) [Arizona Aikido]
  • Tracy A. -- Kanshu Sunadomari sensei's "Enlightenment through Aikido" book [Corky Quakenbush]
  • Troy F. -- One technofine keikogi, any size, retail $99 [Mugendo Budogu]
  • W. James C. -- One 10-inch circles of the canvas on which Terry Dobson taught his last class at Bond Street Dojo, mounted on embroidery hoops and suitable for display. [Fred Little]
  • Will H. -- a Hickory Ridge jo from aikigifts.com (US Shipping Only) [Aviv Goldsmith]
Congratulations, everyone!

I will be sending out e-mail messages shortly to both the winners and the prize donors so that you can contact each other. Please let me know if you (winners and donors) do not receive an e-mail from me today (May 2, 2008) regarding the raffle.

So, prize winners, any thoughts on what you won?

-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 05-02-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
MM
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
[*] Mark Mur. -- Handmade Jatoba bokuto with non-removable tsuba [Howard Popkin]

So, prize winners, any thoughts on what you won?

-- Jun
Unless there's someone else with Mark Mur...

Awesome!

Thanks Jun!
Thanks Howard!

Mark
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #43
akiy

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Unless there's someone else with Mark Mur...
All of the names should be unique to individual ticket holders with additional letters provided for the last names (such as yours) to disambiguate.

(You're welcome!)

-- Jun

Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #44
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

I just want to second everyone else on thanking Jun for the great job he has done, and also to the generous folks who donated things to be raffled. You guys and gals are awesome!

Now if you'll excuse me I think I need to go play the lottery now. I've never won anything in a raffle before, ever, and then wow! I must have stumbled into someone else's lucky feng shui stream!

*back to doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!*

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #45
DanielR

Next time I see Larry Wall (which would also be the the first), I'm having a serious discussion with him about the obvious deficiencies of Perl's random numbers generator

All kidding aside - congrats to the winners, and thanks to Jun and everyone who donated!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #46
akiy

Quote:
Daniel Rozenbaum wrote: View Post
Next time I see Larry Wall (which would also be the the first), I'm having a serious discussion with him about the obvious deficiencies of Perl's random numbers generator
As an aside, a friend of mine used to teach Larry Wall aikido. No, really!

-- Jun

Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #47
DanielR

LOL! My first encounter with Larry Wall is shaping up to be even more exciting than I could ever imagine.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #48
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Y. -- Free month of training in at Aikido Fellowship of Virginia in Norfolk, VA [Shannon Frye]
As grateful as I am to win a raffle prize, I don't think I'll be able to redeem it. Philadelphia is a long way from Norfolk.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #49
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Yabut wrote: View Post
As grateful as I am to win a raffle prize, I don't think I'll be able to redeem it. Philadelphia is a long way from Norfolk.
That' why I didn't participate. Everything's far from Florida. I chose to just send her a check, but I still think that the raffle was an awesome idea. Great job, Jun.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #50
akiy

Quote:
Jennifer Yabut wrote: View Post
You might want to contact the donor to see if they're willing to transfer the gift to someone else. Might you know someone in the Norfolk area who might enjoy the prize?

-- Jun