Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Shadowmyst
United_States
Another about to start thread...

Hi,

I know that these types of threads can get old but there are not any Aikido schools that are close to my area and I had a few questions prior to locating a class that I could make it to on time.

I am looking at starting martial arts to help get in to shape and also to help keep me from being a hermit.

In reading about the beginning of Aikido and the philosophies behind it. With that said I do not just want to learn how to fight or subdue an opponent but to study the techniques and the philosophies as a whole.

With that said I need to know if my body will be able to handle Aikido training. I am about 30 pounds overweight, have had back surgery (to remove bone fragments from the spinal cord), have arthritis in my right hand and also have some tendon damage in my right wrist. I am no stranger to pain and realize that no matter what martial art I choose to study I am going to incur some type of injury however minor or major it may be. I also have interest in various styles of Kung Fu as well as Hapkido.

Any recommendations on a style that I may be able to study in my current condition?

I would really like to study Aikido, does anyone know of any instructors or practioners in the Arlington Texas area that I could speak with? There are many in Dallas but with my work schedule and the amount of drive time it would take me to get to these schools I will not be able to make it to the classes except for the weekend class and I was looking for multiple days per week. I have searched on Google.com and several other websites but have not been able to locate a dojo in my general vicinity.

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide,

Sincerely,
Jason
Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Another about to start thread...

Aikido should be available to everyone. Unfortunately it isn't.

Whether your body can take the training depends on how the training is done in each individual dojo.

It is possible to get great benefit from aikido practice with little pain and virtually no injury. It depends on the 'style' of the teacher. Some aikido practictitioners favour 'hard' training, with some pretty spectacular high breakfalls. lots of sweat, and a focus on effective technique. Some favour exploring the 'softer' training, few high falls, lots of rolling, and perhaps more 'self developement' focus. I'm not passing a value judgement, as both are valid approaches.

You may be better off trying to find a school that is closer to the latter (not just aikido), then after a time when your body is in better condition, you could explore the former. If you go the other way around, you may not survive one to try the other.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Janet Rosen

Searching here on aikiweb dojo search shows aikido 8 - 10 miles from you http://txshinbudokai.com/

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Shadowmyst
United_States

Janet,

I also saw that as well but the website does not work and that would be one of the schools that I would only be able to attend the one weekend class. As I do not get off from work until 7:00 PM.

Jason
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

well, website is up and running today and once a wk is better than nothing...ymmv of course

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Shadowmyst
United_States

I see that it is up now. But I think I have found a place that is not to terribly far from me but it will of course only be on the weekends for now.

But this one offers Saturday and Sunday classes and multiple classes each day.

Aikido of Dallas (http://www.aikido.org/dallas/) is where I am currently looking to start. Hopefully this weekend.

Thank you for the responses!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Hi, Jason,

Janet's got the right of it -- there's really a wide range from dojo to dojo as far as how strenuous and body-stressful aikido training is, so you do have to go visit dojos to get a sense of this. Observe a class and talk with the sensei about your physical issues, to see if they can be accommodated.

Honestly, I don't think that aikido or any martial art is the best way to get in shape. They tend to require fitness more than promote fitness, if you know what I mean. That's not to say that someone who's out of shape can't start martial arts training, but you do need to be a bit careful, and also realize that it's not the most efficient way to get into shape. I think it would also be a good idea to supplement your martial arts training with other activities that will promote fitness and better prepare you for your time on the mat. For someone who's been pretty much totally sedentary, I would recommend starting with about 45 minutes to an hour of moderate to brisk walking followed by 15 minutes of stretching, each day that you're not on the mat. Don't walk so fast that you feel pain or real strain, but do walk fast enough to get a "glow" going, and learn to stretch properly. After a week or so, increase your walking time and intensity slightly. Keep at it, and up the intensity or difficulty (by throwing in a hill) or duration every time it starts feeling easy. If you do this regularly, it will help your body to recover from your aikido training, and at the same time you'll be gradually building up a base of aerobic fitness. Eventually you'll probably want to move on to another activity like biking or running to get more of a workout, but do it as a gradual progression. Just keep at it, and in a few months you'll look back and be amazed at how far you've come.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

I have visited Mason Sensei a couple of times when I was in Dallas for family matters,and have had wonderful training each visit.
Nice folks, very welcoming, good solid training.....
Enjoy
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
peejaymc
United_States

I visited Mizu Aikido in Fort Worth last night. Classes don't start until 7:30. http://www.mizuaikido.com
I know how you feel. I drove an hour and fifteen minutes to get there. The farther away from the city you live, it seems, the harder to find Aikido. My Sensei has apparently dropped off the face of the earth and no one I know can find him right now, so I'm looking into other options and I think I've found it in Ft.Worth. As to size...I'm a short and fat girl and I do aikido. I'm probably a good eighty pounds overweight.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States

If you wish to, you can visit us at UTA. You can find us at http://www.facebook.com/groups/2201942852/

Our parent dojo is www.internationalaikido.com.

Thank you,
Piyush