Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #151
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido as Sport: Did O'Sensei Condemn It?

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties. Milton, Areopagitica.
And a philosopher too........ blimey
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #152
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
It's different in football, cricket, ball sports and any other sports until it comes to martial combat sports. Whether it's got rules or not , how can you measure your ability without some form of competitive measure or match? You cannot know your ability without it.....
It only makes sense......
Koichi Tohei, Gozo Shioda, etc., ad infinitum, fought in WWII...yet strangely, they didn't come back and introduce competition into their aikido.

...not that i'm suggesting facing people who want to kill you, day after day, for years (y'know: in a war?), is a better test of martial efficacy than playing a game with rules a few times a week, of course - that's what martial arts were designed for: effectiveness when playing, hahahaha.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #153
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Koichi Tohei, Gozo Shioda, etc., ad infinitum, fought in WWII...yet strangely, they didn't come back and introduce competition into their aikido.

...not that i'm suggesting facing people who want to kill you, day after day, for years (y'know: in a war?), is a better test of martial efficacy than playing a game with rules a few times a week, of course - that's what martial arts were designed for: effectiveness when playing, hahahaha.
Graham you wouldn't know......
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #154
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Well, Tomiki Sensei also served, as combatives instructor in Manchukuo and, after the war, he worked as combatives instructor for USAF SAC and was heavily involved in the developement of Kodokan Goshin Jutsu kata (forms of self defense). Maybe he did know a pair of things about how to train for self defense.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #155
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Well, Tomiki Sensei also served, as combatives instructor in Manchukuo and, after the war, he worked as combatives instructor for USAF SAC and was heavily involved in the developement of Kodokan Goshin Jutsu kata (forms of self defense). Maybe he did know a pair of things about how to train for self defense.
And unfortunately as a prisoner of war in Siberia....
Where, its said, he came up with the tandoku undo and unsuku exercises, and trained whilst in his captivity....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #156
Eric Winters
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro and Berkeley
United_States

Hello,

I do not think competition is a bad thing at all. Problems come up when you take advantage of the rules and doing so is not martially sound. If you are pressure testing your training and following good martial principles then I think that can only make your technique better. I have been training in Iwama Ryu for many years and I wish we had something along the lines like the Tomiki guys.

I don't think Ueshiba had a problem with competition only turning Aikido into a sport. I remember being around when Morihiro Saito would come to Northern California to teach and he would tells stories about how in Iwama they would take new blackbelts to a bar and get them into a fight. Ueshiba would find out and tell them that was wrong and then ask if the they won. That sort of tells me he did not have a problem with pressure testing.

Eric
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #157
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Eric Winters wrote: View Post
I have been training in Iwama Ryu for many years and I wish we had something along the lines like the Tomiki guys.
What happened with?
Quote:
Morihiro Saito. Traditional Aikido, Vol 5 (p. 39-40) wrote:
Variety and sequence of training methods.
(5) Freewheeling training.

This is a "no holds barred" exercise allowing your partner to use whatever techniques he wants and you are to cope with them in a freewheeling manner.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #158
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
I have managed to put people on their asses without resorting to such crude devises, even in real life , but if and when they produced a blade, tanbo came in bloody useful.... Nice bloke tanbo..
As for the pressure points Only if you are deadly accurate...
You have never been in a real altercation in your life mister.... that is obvious to me....
Yes, some form of accuracy is what every art is aiming for. But clearly you haven't been studying this, as they aren't that difficult to hit, even in motion. Most people think they have to be struck with pin point accuracy with the index finger, but the underarm, fist, elbow or the likes will in most cases do the trick. If you know how to apply them well, you can nail people to the ground with a knuckle or knock them out only by adjusting the angle of attack on the place you usually hit but get no response from.

No I haven't, and I'm rather proud of it! Self defense and martial arts has a place on earth only beacuse there is a risk of being attacked. The number one priority must be to avoid confrontations. But when looking at your picture I can see that we have very different opinions on this matter.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #159
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Simon Kirk Sørensen wrote: View Post
Yes, some form of accuracy is what every art is aiming for. But clearly you haven't been studying this, as they aren't that difficult to hit, even in motion. Most people think they have to be struck with pin point accuracy with the index finger, but the underarm, fist, elbow or the likes will in most cases do the trick. If you know how to apply them well, you can nail people to the ground with a knuckle or knock them out only by adjusting the angle of attack on the place you usually hit but get no response from.

No I haven't, and I'm rather proud of it! Self defense and martial arts has a place on earth only beacuse there is a risk of being attacked. The number one priority must be to avoid confrontations. But when looking at your picture I can see that we have very different opinions on this matter.
As I thought..... keep on bunnying.....

Like your honesty though...

Yeah ugly bugger ain't I.....

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 01-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #160
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Thumbs up Re: Aikido as Sport: Did O'Sensei Condemn It?

Quote:
Quote:
Morihiro Saito. Traditional Aikido, Vol 5 (p. 39-40) wrote:
Variety and sequence of training methods.
(5) Freewheeling training.

This is a "no holds barred" exercise allowing your partner to use whatever techniques he wants and you are to cope with them in a freewheeling manner.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #161
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hello,

I do not think competition is a bad thing at all. Problems come up when you take advantage of the rules and doing so is not martially sound. If you are pressure testing your training and following good martial principles then I think that can only make your technique better. I have been training in Iwama Ryu for many years and I wish we had something along the lines like the Tomiki guys.

I don't think Ueshiba had a problem with competition only turning Aikido into a sport. I remember being around when Morihiro Saito would come to Northern California to teach and he would tells stories about how in Iwama they would take new blackbelts to a bar and get them into a fight. Ueshiba would find out and tell them that was wrong and then ask if the they won. That sort of tells me he did not have a problem with pressure testing.

Eric
I think the Iwama stuff is what Proff Ueshiba taught and showed to those who were genuinely interested..... all the demo stuff was just for show and it got the attention of those who "thought" what they were seeing was the real deal..... I have practised some Iwama stuff and it differs very little to T/S aikido, only in that they don't do shiai in the same way as we do that's all..... Also the T/S syllabus is more condensed. Iwama style is more encyclopaedic, but good solid practice....
Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #162
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
As I thought..... keep on bunnying.....

Like your honesty though...
No more arguments i see. I don't consider myself an "aikibunny" just because I choose not to get in fights on regular basis. I would consider myself "smart" though.

In every aspect of my practice I strive to push my limits every time I train. So, my good man, I believe you are way off and I would advice you to stop guessing.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #163
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

It is amusing to hear the same spiel from all those that have never been in a serious hostile situation.
They seem to be at home in the " Aikido Dream " thread.

Henry Ellis
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #164
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
No more arguments i see. I don't consider myself an "aikibunny" just because I choose not to get in fights on regular basis. I would consider myself "smart" though.

In every aspect of my practice I strive to push my limits every time I train. So, my good man, I believe you are way off and I would advice you to stop guessing.
I don't guess I sense......i
Old 01-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #165
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
It is amusing to hear the same spiel from all those that have never been in a serious hostile situation.
They seem to be at home in the " Aikido Dream " thread.

Henry Ellis
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
That's allright Henry, dreaming is nice for dreamers..... I like my reality, it gives me great freedom to speak my mind........

You know, I know, We are lucky.....
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #166
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
I don't guess I sense......i
Then you sensed wrong.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #167
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
That's very interesting; but it's beside the point, and off-topic.

The point under discussion was whether playing games is essential to achieving martial effectiveness - not whether Tomiki Sensei taught self defence, thus legitimising his approach, and its effectiveness.

...but wait: doesn't the Yoshinkan headquarters train the Tokyo riot police...?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #168
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Then you sensed wrong.
You just don't like to know you are beaten is the real truth.....
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #169
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
You just don't like to know you are beaten is the real truth.....
Beaten? On the streets? I don't think I ever have been. In our discussion? Even less. The winner of an discussion is not the first one to run out of arguments, you know.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #170
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Beaten? On the streets? I don't think I ever have been. In our discussion? Even less. The winner of an discussion is not the first one to run out of arguments, you know.
yeeeeeesh......
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #171
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
That's very interesting; but it's beside the point, and off-topic.

The point under discussion was whether playing games is essential to achieving martial effectiveness - not whether Tomiki Sensei taught self defence, thus legitimising his approach, and its effectiveness.

...but wait: doesn't the Yoshinkan headquarters train the Tokyo riot police...?
Yes and so does the Shodokan train police personel.....

and judo and kendo and..... well .......... ecky thump?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #172
Eric Winters
United_States

Hello Demetrio,

I never did that exercise just the standard randori and resistance training. I suppose when I open a dojo I will have to develop my version of that type of practice.

Best,

Eric
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #173
Eric Winters
United_States

Hello Tony Wagstaffe,

I train in TSYR with a Sandan in Tomiki Aikido, he has got good solid technique. Once we have some sort of understanding of what Toby Threadgill does I hope to get together with him and exchange some ideas on aikido.

Best,

Eric
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #174
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hello Tony Wagstaffe,

I train in TSYR with a Sandan in Tomiki Aikido, he has got good solid technique. Once we have some sort of understanding of what Toby Threadgill does I hope to get together with him and exchange some ideas on aikido.

Best,

Eric
That's marvellous, I don't know Toby Threadgill, but from what little I've heard and seen I would say that he is a most genuine and open minded teacher.....
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #175
DonMagee
United_States

I take an opposite approach. I do not see competition and sports as things that remove spiritual enlightenment from martial arts, I just see them as a different path to gaining the same enlightenment.

I think many old martial art masters were just that, namely old and locked in their ways. They couldn't see that sports offer the same paths as their ways because they were not their ways.

I think man learns the most about himself when he tests himself. Training for and competing in competition is one way to approach that. As I watch my wife train for an upcoming marathon, I see her go though the same personal discoveries, hardships and awakenings that I myself encountered when training in martial arts.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein