Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece
The mirror

Last night i had an issue with a guy driving illegaly in the opposite direction in a one way street. Me on my bicycle, him with a car-no lights turned on...
I managed to avoid his bumper but, for some reason, i yelled at him. He stopped the car, got out and started coming towards me showing his fists
I dismounted from my bike and prepared to defend myself.
Then, in a split second, the words of a sensei i once heard came into mind: Aikido is seeing yourself in the mirror!
I tried to talk to the guy, obviously he was not in a position to support anything, he was wrong all along.
I talked to him, he kept saying "so what? " and the sort...
Time passed, more time passed, nothing happened but talking. I was buying time, he was calming down...
Then he left, i mounted the bicycle and went home.
The mirror...
Why on earth should i be the one starting a situation? Why this and why that i did not get much sleep last night!
Trully, the biggest foe, the most aggresive and rough enemy is the one within...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
guest1234567
Spain
Re: The mirror

Good for your memory about your sensei and your reaction. Well done and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stelios Papadakis wrote: View Post
Last night i had an issue with a guy driving illegaly in the opposite direction in a one way street. Me on my bicycle, him with a car-no lights turned on...
I managed to avoid his bumper but, for some reason, i yelled at him. He stopped the car, got out and started coming towards me showing his fists
I dismounted from my bike and prepared to defend myself.
Then, in a split second, the words of a sensei i once heard came into mind: Aikido is seeing yourself in the mirror!
I tried to talk to the guy, obviously he was not in a position to support anything, he was wrong all along.
I talked to him, he kept saying "so what? " and the sort...
Time passed, more time passed, nothing happened but talking. I was buying time, he was calming down...
Then he left, i mounted the bicycle and went home.
The mirror...
Why on earth should i be the one starting a situation? Why this and why that i did not get much sleep last night!
Trully, the biggest foe, the most aggresive and rough enemy is the one within...
Stelios, I get this kind of thing driving everyday, as a cabbie if I do something wrong I can be suspended if I am in the wrong, it happens sometimes, so I just apologise, it gets a nod of approval......
Sometimes I try and use humour....... Two I use if I get a rude reply is "Oh? I suppose your daddy was a carpenter was he?" That usually puts a (?) you can almost see it appearing above their heads....
The other one is "Ahhh you and me both mate Eh? Have you given it up? That sometimes get a smile and back in the car they go.
I once had to deal with an aggressive nasty piece of work 4x4 driver after I blocked a narrow road when off loading a wheelchair bound passenger.... He ended up on his backside extremely winded..... all for the sake of a couple of minutes. Had he used his loaf he could of backed up if he was in that much of a hurry, but alas instead of doing that he decided otherwise The people behind him weren't that impressed or worried, and in fact clapped in applause as I got back in mine and drove off dealing with the dump..... Such is life....

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 04-30-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Compliments.

The mirror: others reflect what they see in us and we reflect what we see in others.

Yet, with some mindfulness, we can respond (not react or reflect) what we want to see in the mirror.

Well done and said.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Good lesson learned, though painful.
Loosely quoted. "Aikido is a fight to the finish, slaying all falsehood within." Ueshiba
Breath deeply... you did good.
Mary