Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-27-2002, 09:37 AM   #51
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Sorry, Bruce, but I have almost no idea what you are trying to say. The only thing that I did get out of it is that you are advocating speaking in a plain and straightforward manner. That's a little funny because apparently what is plain and straightforward for you is quite opaque and convoluted to me.

There are those who claim that all language is metaphor. Whether or not I hold with that, metaphor is often a powerful and concise way to communicate. It also seems to have a greater grip on our imagination and can thus lead to deeper insights and understandings than an effort to capture the same idea in a more explicit way.

Like I said, some metaphors don't work for some people. When a metaphor doesn't work for me, I try to assume that it's because I am being inflexible in my thinking. That may not be true all the time, but it's almost always more interesting than any of the other approaches I can think of.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 12-27-2002, 10:14 AM   #52
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
You don't get it, do you Gregg?

There are no shihans off the mat.

There are people with more knowledge and practice than other people.

We are all human beings of equal ability, and some of us have a sense of humor about it?

Lighten up ... life is too short to be that serious.

Read the art of war. What I said is merely a paraphrase of some of the instructions found there.

Remember as you complain, "you most dislike in others the things you dislike in yourself."

If you can learn to work with that, then go ahead and write to who ever you want.

But in writing this disciplinary note, consider ... you have wanted to say what I have been thinking, or are you angry because someone who is not a high mucky muck in the lodge of the grand phu-bah makes sport of the thoughts gathered from so many sources in the martial world? My opinions, or don't I have a right to think?

I guess that was uncalled for ...

I will leave it though .... as a jab at the ego of some practitioners who have not found the humor of life, or the have not learned that someday you need to see the world through eyes of equality, not the caste system.

Maybe it is I who am deluded in sizing up other people, situations, encounters that can be handled with words or actions? Could be my encounters with senators, congressmen and celebritys out drinking and whoring with bodyguard at hand that makes me so cynical.

When you are out there, in the middle of situation that can't be settled by words, you have to know when to throw a table, twist a few arms, or get the hell out of dodge.

Either way, you gotta get a grip on this Aikido worship thing.

Hey ... I just woke up in the middle of next week. Give me a break.

(Middle of next week ... been knocked out? ...or haven't you ever seen someone knocked out for a while by a clip to head?)
Old 12-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #53
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Don't get Mad Gregg ... I was just ribbing you.

Just kidding around....