Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Derrick JHB
Dojo: None
South Korea
Which Style?

Hello all, My name is Derrick and I stay in SA. I want to start aikido, but there are a few things I am not clear about e.g how can there be different styles of aikido, if there are different styles which style is the best, are these all different styles, what is the difference? Tomiki, Shodokon, Yoshinkan, Shinbu.

Thank you. Derrick.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Mario Tobias
Philippines
Re: Which Style?

There are no best styles, but there are best teachers.

Rather than search for the style of aikido that's perceived as "best", seek a highly competent and respected teacher as your primary prerequisite to choosing a dojo.

The art is only as good as the teacher teaching it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Mario Tobias wrote: View Post
There are no best styles, but there are best teachers.

Rather than search for the style of aikido that's perceived as "best", seek a highly competent and respected teacher as your primary prerequisite to choosing a dojo.

The art is only as good as the teacher teaching it.
I completely agree. I have done 4 different styles now because of this philosophy.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

If you dig around Aikiweb a little you will see that this topic has been talked about a bit.

I have trained on just one path for my whole training with a little wander of 15 years into self defense.

You could look at the dojos in your area and do some research. Trust your gut. At a thriving dojo there will be people of all ranks and and at least 3 or 4 women.

That would be what I would look for...of course you may be looking for a different kind of training...so ask yourself what your looking for and go find it.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 11-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Having trained with people in all styles my feeling is that the stylistic differences become smaller with experience. After all you can only move the body in certain ways and they all share the same fundamental root.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
kuzushi
United_States

Who knows Tomiki?

Rollo
Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I do Tomiki, and I love it, but I have a friend who practices what I might call the Traditional, Ueshiba aikido (showing my ignorance), Hambu style and he flat loves it.

I like the TOmiki stuff (I started Hambu as a kid) because the teachning method flows out from judo's educational background, and it's easier to intake as a western mindset person, IMO. Some folks disagree, and there you have it.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

You should narrow the question down to what styles are available to you.

But even within styles there can be a large difference in instruction - you can get generalities (Stereotypes) about the styles, but a trip to the local practitioner will e required.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Sojourner
Australia

There is a good book for beginners of Aikido called "Aikido for Life" by Gaku Homma, in it he has a chapter called "Fried Rice" where he explains that you might call around to several chinese restarants and buy a serving of Fried Rice from each, that if you then put them next to one another on a table you would notice obvious differneces as each Chef has their own recipe and way of making Fried Rice, yet despite all being differnet styles, they are all still Fried Rice. The same is true of Aikido. I am very much still learning also about what the different styles are and as above, the only real way to know is to go and train in one of them and learn about Aikido in general and then be in a position to judge. Some styles of Aikido are considered soft styles and others like Yoshinkan are considered hard styles if that is any help to you.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote: View Post
You should narrow the question down to what styles are available to you.
This. Style differences are entirely a matter of academic discussion if you don't have a choice. Even if you do, don't expect that as a beginner you will find the differences really meaningful. It's not like buying a car, where you know what a car is and what it does and can make some intelligent decisions about what features you'll like/need, even if you've never owned one before. For a beginner, aikido is a new experience, conceptually. You can look at the brochures of the different models all you want, but it won't tell you much.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

Like most have stated above, style differences are rarely indicated at a beginner level. Once you have been practicing for several years and attend seminars regularly you will begin to see the differences. Tomiki and Shodokan are the same, btw. I do find that you will be successful in aikido if this is the art you really want to learn.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
jbelly
United_States

It would be great to find a dojo with many classes/day. I noticed that some dojos have morning, noon, and evening classes.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Derrick Fischer wrote: View Post
I want to start aikido, but there are a few things I am not clear about e.g how can there be different styles of aikido, if there are different styles which style is the best,
How can there be so many different flavors of ice crea, kinds of cars, ways to skin a cat?

People like to do, own, eat the thing that appeals most to their individual tastes. I think i the end there is only one style of aikido. The one that YOU as a individual develop for yourself over years of work. Do't worry about the style just worry about finding the right teacher for you. Whatever style he/she does will be your style until you find your own.