Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Past Nage Waza In Aikido

In answerer to a question posed on the internet regarding resistance in Aikido.

Aggressive resistance, passive resistance, positive resistance or negative resistance, to which of these are you referring, if any? I assume we are talking about resistance in Aikido interaction, resistance to or from an attack. First let me say that in resistance one also finds stability. Without the resistance of the ground and gravity we could not walk. Without the resistance of our body a punch or kick has no effect. When we offer resistance from a grab, a push or a pull we also offer stability to the one grabbing, pushing or pulling. The aggressor has all their internal gyroscopes set to adjust to the resistance they expect to meet at the point of contact. They expect and need the resistance for their attack to work. Sometimes our biggest problem is getting our ego out of the way. Too often we are not satisfied with simple resolution and restoration of "Harmony" we seek to be part of the conflict so we can feel physically powerful. The idea in Aikido, as I understand it, is to offer no resistance, or as little as possible. By offering no resistance you do not become part of the conflict but part of the resolution. After all Aikido is Conflict Resolution on a very real scale. My partner brings conflict into my world and I should seek only to bring resolution to the conflict. Sometimes the resolution is not harmful to the aggressor and sometimes the resolution may be deadly to the aggressor. That is his problem I only seek to find resolution and restore harmony to my universe.

As I stand facing another human being I am in harmony with my environment. As that other person stands facing me he/she is in harmony with his/her environment. "We" are in harmony. When that other person decides to break that harmony of our universe by attacking me I should seek not to offer resistance of any kind wherein he can find stability for his attack. I do this by moving to a place where I am in harmony with my environment once again (an environment which includes my partner) all that is left is to the aggressor and his conflict. If I am skillful I have moved to a place of safety using correct Aikido principles with regard to distance and placement relevant to the attackers body and I then can help the attacker find resolution to his conflict. That is, I join with him and help him disperse that negative power that was once directed at me back into the ground from which it sprang. That is right the ground from which it sprang. The attacker used his resistance to the ground to build and launch an attack with the end result being that his attack finds sufficient resistance in my body to cause me to go to the ground. Now using Aikido I take away that resistance leaving only him and his out of harmony relationship to the universe. Now left alone without any resistance from me to give him stability nature will restore harmony on its own. Because no resistance was found where expected the aggressor loses balance. Given the fierceness of the attack I may assist nature by supplementing to its resolution with additional complimentary power and velocity to cause the attacker greater impact with the earth. I may also cause him great pain by cooperating with him to send his powerful attack back to him. The conflict he sought to create and exploit in my body he now finds himself facing. The severity of my cooperation is a judgment call which also should be tempered by my Aikido training.

The biggest part of the problem I see in some people is they never move past nage waza. They live with the belief that they need to "do" Aikido to the other person. They never move past Nage Waza. I believe Uke Waza is the next big step in personal Aikido development. When Nage attacks and suddenly finds himself as Uke the new Nage has choices to make. Not just about which technique to apply but about letting the failed attacker resolve the conflict unharmed or not. In the purest Aikido since Uke should have the choice to resolve the interaction by offering non resistance to Nage's superior position and balance? If Nage allows Uke to resolve the conflict then Uke will know Nage's intent and submit to it without resistance. For instance Ikkyo, Uke knows where Nage wants him to go he can feel Nage's lead. So by cooperation they together find an Aikido resolution to the interaction and restore balance to their worlds. This is Uke Waza not just the ability to take a fall and survive. One is the leader and one is the follower and Nage is not always the leader. Sometimes Nage allows Uke to lead to the resolution and follows while in control of the interaction.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States
Re: Past Nage Waza In Aikido

Thanks Dennis,

I enjoyed that.

Shane
Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Nice. Could be an article of its own.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Mr. Hooker wrote:

"For instance Ikkyo, Uke knows where Nage wants him to go he can feel Nage's lead. So by cooperation they together find an Aikido resolution to the interaction and restore balance to their worlds. This is Uke Waza not just the ability to take a fall and survive. One is the leader and one is the follower and Nage is not always the leader. Sometimes Nage allows Uke to lead to the resolution and follows while in control of the interaction."

I find your position on uke waza very sound. I also agree with your statement that most aikidoka do not penetrate enough of the art to move beyond what Nage has to teach in order to see what Uke is offering. However, as I understood the original thread, it is partially the position contained in your last quote (pasted above) that led to why the original post was made in the first place. The poster was interested in what effect, if any, the repetition of such avenues (i.e. uke leading toward the completion of a throw or a pin, etc.) toward an "Aikido resolution" would have upon him within combative situations. Hence, I am not so sure that labeling things, or suggesting that we can label them, "Aikido resolutions" is the solution or explanation the original poster was interested in receiving. In other words, if such end-results are going to be held up as ideals we should aspire to or at least aspire toward investigating, I'm sure the poster would ask from within a combative environment, "Who wants them?!"

I undoubtedly believe you meant to suggest something else, as things pertain to the original post, but, for me at least, it is not clear how we are to reconcile your position that uke should and/or can lead in training and the original poster's concern over what affect such training has upon ones body/mind while within combative situations. If you could find the time, I would greatly appreciate if you could draw a clearer conclusion concerning this specific matter of the original post.

Humble thanks,
david