Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #51
Randall Lim
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Singapore
Singapore
Re: BJJ shows weakness in this street fight

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
At my school we have been training aikido techniques against fully resisting opponents for over three years and have only had one injury during that time.

The direction this thread has taken has given us another great opportunity to explore where aikido's techniques fit into the spectrum of martial arts.
Regarding RANDORI.

Training Aikido techniques against resisting opponents is not Randori. It should be called simply Resistance Kata training.

Randori is FREE-play. However, a set of rules still need to be set up to ensure safety & authenticity (preserving the essence of Aikido).

Can you come up with a set of rules that can ensure safety & authenticity while being easily enforced by a referee?? How would a referee detect the presence of Aiki in a technique that has just been executed?? The presence of Aiki can only be testified by the Uke.

Aikido techniques are not only about those joint locks that we use. Aikido is the art of receiving, yielding & blending with the opponent's energy, causing him to over-extend his posture & break his balance.

Can this strategy be detected by the referee?? Only Tori & Uke will know.

Regarding Aikido as a Martial Art.

In my opinion, Aikido is only about 20%Physical Techniques,
30% Mental Development, while 50% Philosophcal & Spiritual.

Aikido's place in the Martial Arts is only about 50% (20% + 30%).
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #52
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Randall Lim wrote: View Post
Regarding Aikido as a Martial Art.

In my opinion, Aikido is only about 20%Physical Techniques,
30% Mental Development, while 50% Philosophcal & Spiritual.
That makes a degenerate and considering the importance of the in the physical, mental and philosophical-spiritual aspects of aikido...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #53
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
In my opinion, Aikido is only about 20%Physical Techniques, 30% Mental Development, while 50% Philosophcal & Spiritual.
Certainly not in Flintstone Ryu.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #54
C. David Henderson
United_States
Talking Re: BJJ shows weakness in this street fight

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Certainly not in Flintstone Ryu.

David Henderson
Old 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #55
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #56
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I prefer Yabba Dabba Do
Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #57
thisisnotreal

judo chop technique. if do right... no can defend.
"What Happen?"
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #58
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Alejandro,

Sorry, I enjoyed your quip, s'all.

Take care.

David Henderson
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #59
Flintstone
Spain
Thumbs up Re: BJJ shows weakness in this street fight

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Alejandro,

Sorry, I enjoyed your quip, s'all.

Take care.
No problemo, bro. Stay cool.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #60
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Randall Lim wrote:
Regarding RANDORI.

Training Aikido techniques against resisting opponents is not Randori. It should be called simply Resistance Kata training.

Randori is FREE-play. However, a set of rules still need to be set up to ensure safety & authenticity (preserving the essence of Aikido).

Can you come up with a set of rules that can ensure safety & authenticity while being easily enforced by a referee?? How would a referee detect the presence of Aiki in a technique that has just been executed?? The presence of Aiki can only be testified by the Uke.

Aikido techniques are not only about those joint locks that we use. Aikido is the art of receiving, yielding & blending with the opponent's energy, causing him to over-extend his posture & break his balance.

Can this strategy be detected by the referee?? Only Tori & Uke will know.

You really need to read posts in the context of the thread. It eliminates the need for unnecessary explanation.

Obviously, I am not talking about training single techniques with uke blocking them and nage forcing through. That is not martially effective and it is not aiki.

I am talking about dropping the uke/nage roles and giving each partner a goal to achieve while stopping the the other partner(s) from achieving their objectives.

I'm not sure why you are concerned with a referee. The vast majority of my training has been outside the presence of a referee and has still been very useful.

It's not difficult to come up with rule sets that allow for this to occur.

Not that it matters for the exercises that I was describing, but once you are acquainted with aiki you can easily see it occur.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #61
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: BJJ players shows weakness in this street fight

Quote:
I suppose it is through dedicated & consistent meditation. The same path towards Spiritual Enlightenment.

Bear in mind that Aikido is a very spiritual Budo system. One should never ignore the spiritual emphasis in Aikido, or it would just be the tip of the iceberg we are scrapping.
Bear in mind that Aikido's idea of Budo could be possibly adulterated with ultraright Japanese politics. What does 'love and peace' mean considering these political motivations?

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #62
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post

You really need to read posts in the context of the thread. It eliminates the need for unnecessary explanation.

Obviously, I am not talking about training single techniques with uke blocking them and nage forcing through. That is not martially effective and it is not aiki.

I am talking about dropping the uke/nage roles and giving each partner a goal to achieve while stopping the the other partner(s) from achieving their objectives.

I'm not sure why you are concerned with a referee. The vast majority of my training has been outside the presence of a referee and has still been very useful.

It's not difficult to come up with rule sets that allow for this to occur.

Not that it matters for the exercises that I was describing, but once you are acquainted with aiki you can easily see it occur.
Here is an example of training we do. I'm not refereeing as much as serving as a control measure.

I define the constraints in order acheive the training objectives and ensure safety, however, it is non-compliant and they are free to pretty much do what they want in order to "win".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-rZAR6DH20

Last edited by Kevin Leavitt : 11-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #63
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Kevin, I always enjoy your dose of practicality you add to posts. Considering your background I value your insights and take what you say on board.

As for the OP. Maybe knives were not apparent initally, from what I understand, the knives come out in the last moment to gain the element of surprise.
A guy who used to teach Philipino (sp?) stick/knife fighting and who is now retired, used to say "When confronted with a knife, use what ever you can as a barrier against the knife and get out of there as soon as possible." So ripping off your jacket and wrapping about your arm as a shield, throwing a garbage can lid at your opponent, anything as a distraction to get out.
Knives are fast and take little effort on the attacker's behalf to do harm.

Yes, having a good awareness would help to establish where you are at. So aikido randori is useful, provided it is done honestly with a sense of urgency.

My brother was ambushed many years ago (attempted mugging). He was studying a Jujutsu style at the time and he did as Kevin suggested, he took the fight to his two assailants and came out of it OK, but mentally messed up. His training saved him. He was lucky and I think the attack wasn't thought out that well.

Scary stuff.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse