Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #76
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Men and Women and Developing Internal Power

Lol! :d

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #77
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
As I was driving this morning it occured to me that maybe some men have a hard time understanding that strong internal skills can come from softness and co-operative training because they have never given birth.

Now before you get all pissy about this....think about the focused, centered power of bearing a child...it is incredible...never having felt this I can see where some men and some women who have not had children can doubt the power of softness, determination, nature and focus.

Just some random thoughts.....what do you think?
Mary
Ok, I want to respond directly to Mary,instead of those others who responded. I don't know of any men who have had children! Just some good natured rubbing. I respect your incredible experience of childbirth, and I see how you are relating that to "the power of softness, determination, nature and focus." That is yours. Kudos to you for that exprience. Though don't you think it maybe a bit unfair to women Aikidoka who don't want or can't have children (and men who can't give birth) that they will never have the understanding internal skills? Isn't there other ways of gaining these internal skills by the doubting men and women you mentioned, are they doomed to never have internal skills?

No offense, but I am not sure what your saying. I feel out of respect to ask you.

Last edited by Buck : 06-26-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #78
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
Ok, I want to respond directly to Mary,instead of those others who responded.
Okay, but the P in PM doesn't stand for "public".
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #79
Buck
United_States

I want to appologize to Mary E. I am afraid I could have toned down my comments, and be more supportive of her topic. I could have been more respectful. That is the type of person am, I don't want to lower myself to petty childlish responseswhich I came close to in my opinion . I should have worded my thoughts better and more carefully.

Mary E. I hope you accept my appology.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #80
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Mary
The strap pretty much were useless when I started hammering again.I still remember picking up a milk jug and dropping it from the pain!! I knew the answer but couldn't face it-I had to stop forging.
Yeah, I needed a lay-off period too. It was still bad doing just activities of daily living. The straps helped me to get through that period of no paddling, no heavy lifting, etc. I really was at the point where just typing would have made it flare up if I hadn't worn the straps.

Quote:
On a side note, who is your sensei out there in shangri la?
Dave Stier, Green River Aikido.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #81
DH
United_States

Hi Mary
I had a friend with the same thing for two years. She tried acupuncture-which handled the pain but not the injury, and the straps. Her Doc told her he almost wishes he could get away with putting a cast on people with it. He said "For most, the injury is nagging more than debilitating so they don't protect it adequately and as a result set up a cycle of re-injury and inflammation. I can’t get it through their heads that it requires rest." I thought that a great explanation for the years long-yet totally unnecessary healing process, that fit me to a tee.

Looks likes a busy dojo, thanks for the link. Do you know what style or history it has? It isn't mentioned on the site.

Last edited by DH : 06-29-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #82
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Hi Mary
I had a friend with the same thing for two years. She tried acupuncture-which handled the pain but not the injury, and the straps. Her Doc told her he almost wishes he could get away with putting a cast on people with it. He said "For most, the injury is nagging more than debilitating so they don't protect it adequately and as a result set up a cycle of re-injury and inflammation. I can't get it through their heads that it requires rest." I thought that a great explanation for the years long-yet totally unnecessary healing process, that fit me to a tee.

Looks likes a busy dojo, thanks for the link. Do you know what style or history it has? It isn't mentioned on the site.
This is a bit off topic, neh? And I guess I'm noticing because of how vigilant you're being in protecting the propriety of the thread you started in General Topics. A similar respect would be appreciated here. Thanks.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #83
DH
United_States

Sorry about that Jenn.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #84
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Sorry about that Jenn.
Good bloke, no offense. Thanks for the good discussions.
I'll watch my p's and q's, too.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems