Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-31-2001, 12:35 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 71cc8555
Anonymous User
Unhappy Backpain

Hi!
Does any one of you know a remedy for trapped nerve? Painkillers don't work and even the gentlest of ukemis is impossible. My back really hurts . Yes I did see a doctor and he said that he does not really know to do. Thanks for help and suggestions
Bolom
Old 10-31-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
Conrad
Dojo: Ronin Bushido/ Lexington, KY
Unhappy Back Pain

If your back is in that much pain, maybe you should see a different doctor. However, if going to the doc isn't helping, perhaps someone in your club has some experience with the touch for healing arts i.e. shiatsu(can be very effective), acupuncture(?) etc. Or maybe, if you are able to relax and stop training for a few days, it might get better on its own. It's no fun having a sore back, hope you feel better soon.

Conrad
Old 10-31-2001, 02:30 PM   #3
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: Backpain

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hi!
Does any one of you know a remedy for trapped nerve? Painkillers don't work and even the gentlest of ukemis is impossible. My back really hurts . Yes I did see a doctor and he said that he does not really know to do. Thanks for help and suggestions
Bolom
Hi Backpain,

I'm not sure what you mean by a trapped nerve, but I'm currently having trouble with inflammed lower back muscles putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. It's very painful at times, and like you, ukemi is out of the question right now.

I've been seeing a physical therapist who has been doing wonders for my condition. I went from barely being able to stand two weeks ago, to being back to about 90% mobility with only slight occasional pain. Fortunately my therapist is a student at the dojo who volunteers to help other students for FREE!!! ...so how cool is that!!! (Thanx Mandy!)

Seeing a physical therapist might be something your doctor could recommend? Ask him about it!

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 10-31-2001, 03:57 PM   #4
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Backpain

I did not give due regard to my sciatic pain and continued to train until one morning when I awoke to a full disc herniation (L5 -S1). I have bee nine months recovering and I still can only roll very gingerly one or two times in a row. The best advice I can give you, and which I sincerely hope you take, is to rest. Don't do anything that even remotely irritates your back problem. I thought I would simply tough out my back pain but this, in retrospect, was very foolish.

I am relatively young, so sitting idle is very difficult and at times has been impossible. My unwillingness to refrain from dabbling in training has lengthened my recovery time, of course. I am only now realizing just how completely inactive (in terms of aikido training) I need to be in order for my back to improve.

I have a half hour stretching regimen and some torso strengthening exercises that I do twice each day and they have helped immensely.

Hope this is helpful. Take care.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."
Old 11-24-2001, 06:14 AM   #5
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai
backpain

Hello, Backpain (and Jonathan)--

Yours is a common story in my office. The best thing you can do is go to see a chiropractic physician. We are highly skilled in treating problems such as yours.

Avery L. Jenkins, DC
Old 11-24-2001, 11:38 AM   #6
Duarh
hmm. . .

What kind of back pain has danger of becoming very serious?

I have some muscle, I think, pain in my upper back when I breathe in full. After SOME bad falls, my lower back can hurt when I'm bending the next day, but the first thing's been rather constant for a while now.

Thanks,

Duarh
Old 11-24-2001, 05:57 PM   #7
davem
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
Any backpain can be serious. I had a car accident resulting in herniations.. however, I didn't want surgery so in my experience with back pain only one thing has worked for me.
(Let me assume that as an aikidoka you have good posture)
After wasting time with physical therapists that touted the miracles of the TENS unit (Electrical impulses directed at muscle groups) and wasting time with two chiropractors (Supposedly the two best in Sacramento per news, state, and private sources. Also in retrospect I would never suggest that to anyone as one of them made me physically ill for 4 days due to his 'gentle care,' and the other actually caused me injury.). I have found that weight training is the best thing paired with back stretching a la tai chi. When I say weight training... start small, I started with resistance of 4 pounds with 10-12 reps per excercise. I'm almost back to normal now. One thing to remember though is take it easy, don't overdue it, and don't give in to frustration.

-D

Dave Mata
http://www.convextion.com
Old 11-25-2001, 08:40 PM   #8
Trevallion
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai
stretch it out

Hi backpain!,

Stretch, stretch, stretch! I have suffered from back aches for years because of my height and weight (6'10" and 300lbs.), and the best remedy is stretching everyday, in the morning and before bed at night....especially. Do not do the ballistic stretching that you may do in the dojo however, take it easy. Hope this helps.

-Jim.

"The heart of a virtuous person has settled down and he does not rush about at things. A person of little merit is not at peace but walks about making trouble and is in conflict with all."

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Keithjohngates
Dojo: Perth Traditional Aikido
Australia

I have suffered from some degree of back pain, i found i had loads of tension in my central back after a hour or two of bokken work. I concluded that it was due to me holding unnecessary tension there. I found the following things helped a lot: (although as the professional said, see a professional)

Simply lying on two Jo's, separated by about 2 inches, with thin pillow or book so that your neck is comfortable, not arched back on itself or squashed forwards either.
That is to say - lay with your spine in between the two Jo's.
Breath deeply and relax as much as possible. Trying not to focus on the tension (as in letting your mind look for the pain), but just repeating the works "relax nice back, relax".
I have often found this is gentle way to release tension in my spine and often hear and feel it shifting back into place. A nice feeling.
The other thing I use is two balls, a little bit larger than the size of tennis balls and about the same firmness, Although tennis balls will be fine. place them in a sock or pair of tights. And either: lay on your back and gently roll your spine up and down them, or if this is painful, simple just lay with them at the point it feels the most stiff and then move to a different point. This should/will release tension and allow the spine to gently realign itself.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR - These were told to me by a friend, who was trained as a Olympic gymnast and she pointed me towards a couple of great books:
Conditioning for dance Eric N. Franklin
Alexander Technique By Ailsa Masterson, Aisla Masterson

good luck
let me know if you want to hear some more
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

None of us should be diagnosing based on anecdotes....I agree that a visit to a good physical therapist, chiropractor, acupuncurist, craniosacral therapist or trigger point therapist would be a good place to start.
OFTEN (but certainly not always) what is called a nerve impingement is not spinal but either a muscle trigger point referring pain or a muscle contraction impinging on a sensory nerve. This includes sciatica that orthopedists will almost always insist is spinal in origin based on their very limited experience with purely soft tissue issues.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
Karo
United_States

Janet is right that we're not qualified to diagnose you, and especially not on the internet... If in doubt, consult your doctor!

But "back pain" is a wide term: I have back/shoulder/neck pain almost constantly now, since I started training 3 or more times a week. But I know it's just muscle pain from all the tensing required when rolling and falling. Nothing a good massage won't fix (especially when the massage guy comes to your workplace ).

I like the idea with rolling tennis balls along the spine. I intuitively tried to do something similar lying with my fists under my upper back. It helps.

Karo
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

I just want to add that I think a good chiro is one who makes you do all the work (correctly), and not one with the fancy smancy moving table, pulse machine, fold the body and crack your bones kind of treatment stuff...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I would say go to a different doctor. Massage therapy, physical therapy, sports therapy/medicine, etc are all things/titles that you may want to look up. I have never tried accupuncture, but some people swear by it. The same can be said for chiropractors. Again, I have no experience with them, but my father has a bad back and has nerve pain and it fixed him.

I am about to get sessions with a massage therapist who mainly does deep tissue. Not the most comfortable thing, but I could already feel a difference in my back, hips and shoulders after just our consult session. Good luck. I hope you get back to 100% soon!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

8 year old thread revived...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Rachel Massey wrote: View Post
8 year old thread revived...
Oh crap I should have noticed. thanks!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Still, a few more good sugestions is better than nothing!
B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
Russell Davis

depending on how much you value your health, I suggest you follow Avery Jenkins advice, see an expert.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Hi!
Bolom
Im not a doctor though I play one on t.v. [j/k] - lol
Seriously though, I have had issues with severe back pain where I cry myself into the wee hour of the mornings.

im not into synthetics, etc. What has helped me, where my back doesnt even trouble me... as well as what helps when it does:

- preventative: [exercise. I used to weight lift, and I figured if i did that again it would help as my back never hurt when I did it... there was a slight curve in my spine, which may have gotten there from an accident when I was a kid... and another accident as an adult seemed to bring it to light.]

That mixed with yoga, though yoga by itself seems to even trigger it...[but consistency with yoga seems to keep it away.]

Secondly I eat smashed poppie seeds with akac honey.
Its about a bowl full after being smashed as its fluffy once you grind it and then mix with 2 tablespoons of honey. While this does not provide immediate relief it does allow for sleep sometime in the night with the ability to wake up feeling better... sensitive but after another day it goes away.

Poppies are cheap in Hungary, the amount I use, if your stateside, would probably bankrupt you.
[its legal to grow here and its sold at the local farmers market and in the grocery stores, etc. On a side note, those who think they have tasted poppies by eating a bagle... sorry, youve missed it, especially if it hasnt been smashed your not getting the flavor. Got a pic up at flickr of a 'real' poppie seed cookie.]

Also, time in nature and mediation does wonders. Stress really triggers whatever is happening back there. Used to have seizures [in the guise of fainting spells/black outs] when younger and took medication for a couple of years... but havent used mediation for over 17 years...

Again, each person is unique... but this is one dudes experience.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
Janet, it seems I fell victim to the 8 year old thread to. lol!

p.s.s.
A friend of mine who is rather tall and experienced back pain due to being tall told me of a trick of sleeping with a pillow between your legs... not bad.

Last edited by dalen7 : 08-19-2009 at 06:30 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Rob Watson
United_States

... on the seventh day He rested ... on an inversion table! And it was good.

I'm no expert but everyone I ever knew (personally) that claimed to have sciatic pain was cured by new shoes. Worn out shoes are the bain of foot, ankle, knee and lower back health. A few had legs slightly different in length that was easily noticed by the radically different wear patterns of thier worn out shoes (and 'cured' with orthotics to correct for the length discrepency). YMMV

P.S. No, I do not sell shoes ... or inversion tables.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

Walking a couple of hours most every day and having a monthly massage helped my back tremendously. Also, I sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair at my desk at work. I can break fall again.
Susan
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Good yoga is doing it for me.

I did go to the Doc get lots of MRI's done to insure that I do not have any mechanical issues with my spine that twisting and continued stress might cause me some serious issues.

No, I just have severe Spondolysis, which comes with years of abuse and age.

So, my lower back pain appears to be from over tight psoas muscle which pulls my lumbar out of alignment. and my C spine appears to be rhomboids over tight.

Torturing them through yoga seems to be working. My spine is coming back in line after all these years!

Side benefit is my martial practice is getting better too.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #22
C. David Henderson
United_States

Rolfing.

It changes your body structure.

Also when they do the inside of your mouth, it builds character.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Rolfing.

It changes your body structure.
The massage therapist I saw focused on this. It isn't a relaxing massage, but it is worth it. The way he described it is that your body is a spiral and one thing affects another, which tweaks this, which puts something else in misalignment.... you get the idea. Worth looking into as far as I'm concerned.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Depending on what is causing your nerve problem there are several options. One example that is fairly new is nerve mobilization or neurodynamics. It stems from the premise that nerves should be able to stretch and glide and slide. Anything impeding that can cause nerve problems. Exercises are available to mobilize or release the nerve. A herniation though may need surgery. A professional examination is needed to determine what is causing the problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #25
joeleitz
Dojo: Kansas Ki: Lawrence
United_States

I've had back problems too over the years and I've found that seeing a massage therapist has helped me the most. You can find a good massage therapist nj by looking on this site. Also, doing yoga exercises really helps too -I feel a lot better after doing a few of those each day. I hope everyone with back problems feel better soon!